5 (31.3%)
G35/G37 6MT sedan
5 (31.3%)
Fuck it :huh: Built R18 + turbo kit + drive Demon Civic into a pile of ashes
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2017, 12:12:45 PM
Though after actually looking at his Twitter feed, I can only hope it's all satire...

It's bad satire. He probably is a writer for SNL.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

The only reason why SNL is doing "well" these days is because real life has become satire. Trey Parker and Matt Stone siad they're pretty pissed off the last season. It was awful because they got dunked on by the insanity of Trump and real life politics. They didn't know how to top it with their own jokes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 10, 2017, 12:24:03 PM
The only reason why SNL is doing "well" these days is because real life has become satire. Trey Parker and Matt Stone siad they're pretty pissed off the last season. It was awful because they got dunked on by the insanity of Trump and real life politics. They didn't know how to top it with their own jokes.

This is true. Baldwin's Trump is so over the top foaming at the mouth it isn't even close to funny. But if he toned it down, he'd be doing it straight.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

The Spicer sketch was pretty good, and supposedly Rosie O'Donnell is going to play Bannon.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2017, 01:00:48 PM
The Spicer sketch was pretty good, and supposedly Rosie O'Donnell is going to play Bannon.

Are they doing a remote feed from Canada then?

12,000 RPM

SNL was doing OK well before the election. I've been watching it probably the whole time wifey and I have been together.

If anything it's been getting a little stale. But over the past few years, specifically before Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Jason Sudekis left, it was awesome. The current cast is not bad
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

A little stale?  SNL is a moldy loaf of shit bread.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 10, 2017, 02:11:05 PM
A little stale?  SNL is a moldy loaf of shit bread.
Continually extreme opinions/assessments render them all useless.

And if SNL is "a moldy loaf of shit bread", when was it fresh? Only legit time I could say is maybe during the Will Ferrell era, whose take on GWB was equally over the top and ridiculous. Beyond that SNL has been pretty much continually awful right to the beginning.

MX793

I admittedly haven't watched SNL in years, but it goes through phases where it is great with a great cast, and then phases where it's mediocre.

High points include the following casts:

The early seasons (late 70s, early 80s) when you had Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, and Jane Curtain
The late 80s and early 90s when you had Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, and Phil Hartman
The later 90s with Will Ferrell, Chris Parnell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows, and Darrell Hammond
Mid 2000s with Andy Samberg, Tina Fey, Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 10, 2017, 02:37:38 PM

And if SNL is "a moldy loaf of shit bread", when was it fresh? Only legit time I could say is maybe during the Will Ferrell era, whose take on GWB was equally over the top and ridiculous. Beyond that SNL has been pretty much continually awful right to the beginning.

Will Ferrel, Dennis Miller, Jim Belushi.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 10, 2017, 02:37:38 PM

It was an analogy stemming from your use of the word stale. chill bro :wtf:

12,000 RPM

I find everything from before the mid 00s to be pretty much unwatchable, save for Will Ferrell and some best of stuff from the early days. It's been pretty consistent over the last decade IMO.

I think it's largely generational. It's very topical and in tune with the times.

Laconian

I loved Chris Kattan. Not a versatile actor but funny as f*ck

BimmerM3

Even most of the sketches from the "golden years" of SNL sucked. People just forget about those and remember the funny ones.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2017, 04:39:05 PM
Even most of the sketches from the "golden years" of SNL sucked. People just forget about those and remember the funny ones.

True.  Even in the best years there was a fair bit of mediocrity.  I felt that In Living Color was consistently funnier than SNL, and in the early 90s SNL had one of its stronger/funnier casts, but one has been on air for over 40 years and the other fizzled after 5.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

IMO peak SNL was the Jim Carrey episode with the Will Ferrell era cast, when they were fresh.

Gotta-Qik-C7

SNL still comes on???????  :zzz:

Quote from: MX793 on February 10, 2017, 05:25:06 PM
True.  Even in the best years there was a fair bit of mediocrity.  I felt that In Living Color was consistently funnier than SNL, and in the early 90s SNL had one of its stronger/funnier casts, but one has been on air for over 40 years and the other fizzled after 5.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

DAG, Damon Wayans, Jim Carrey, they were freaking awesome.

Still, Mr. Show beats them all.

Raza

Even my Constitutional Law professor ragged on SNL's genuinely low quality for decades now. But the political stuff they're doing now has me cracking a smile and maybe even laughing now and then.

And duck is vastly superior to chicken.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 10, 2017, 08:15:06 PM
Even my Constitutional Law professor ragged on SNL's genuinely low quality for decades now. But the political stuff they're doing now has me cracking a smile and maybe even laughing now and then.

And duck is vastly superior to chicken.
And boudin noir is vastly superior to hot dogs. Good luck finding boudin noir in a French restaurant, let alone a supermarket in the US. God I miss France.

That said, Aldis carries whole frozen duck during the holidays.

12,000 RPM

Re: thread- going to see about an E60 535i, ~10 Camry V6 SE, and if I have the time a G37 later today. When wifey gets back from out of town though we will probably start seriously shopping for an RDX.

CALL_911

Why an RDX? Are you guys gonna check out the new CRV?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 11, 2017, 10:43:07 AM
Re: thread- going to see about an E60 535i, ~10 Camry V6 SE, and if I have the time a G37 later today. When wifey gets back from out of town though we will probably start seriously shopping for an RDX.

Please, allow me: :wtf:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 11, 2017, 10:58:31 AM
Why an RDX? Are you guys gonna check out the new CRV?

The V6 in those is pretty nice and you can get a decent deal on them.  IIRC, it's also larger than a CRV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on February 11, 2017, 12:47:44 PM
The V6 in those is pretty nice and you can get a decent deal on them.  IIRC, it's also larger than a CRV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, this and this.

Camry V6 was sold before I got there :facepalm: I did get to drive the E60 535i though. It was fully loaded, sport package, navigation, the works.

Pros:

- BMW seem to make its steering racks out of granite. Felt really solid.
- Handling and ride were really good. Felt as nimble as the modded Civic for sure, felt comfortable right away.
- Engine pulled strong... stronger than the E90 335i I sampled a while back for sure.
- Interior was really nice.... very nice place to be, definitely a step up from the 3er
- Roomy
- Auto trans doesn't sap the fun it seems

Cons:

- Stupid shifter (auto)
- 1st gen IDrive is abysmal. Possibly a deal breaker. Amazing to see how far infotainment has come
- Felt like it needed some new bushings. Shocks felt tight, but it was a little jiggly over bumps. I know BMWs chew through those like Flinstones vitamins.
- No fucking BT audio!
- Engine pulled strong but I didn't get much sense of the sound. I could probably live with a 4 banger if it pulls as hard which I imagine it would with the 8AT.

All in all pretty impressive, but still too flawed to seriously consider. Gonna try the F30 328i next, back to back with a G37S (there's a BMW dealer not far from an Infiniti dealer near me). Gotta try a new GTI too

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 11, 2017, 10:42:03 AM
And boudin noir is vastly superior to hot dogs. Good luck finding boudin noir in a French restaurant, let alone a supermarket in the US. God I miss France.

That said, Aldis carries whole frozen duck during the holidays.

Where I live, I can get duck everyday.  You chose to move to the middle of nowhere.   :devil:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2017, 10:59:44 PM
Where I live, I can get duck everyday.  You chose to move to the middle of nowhere.   :devil:

The ducks are fresher in the country
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 11, 2017, 03:18:13 PM
Yea, this and this.

Camry V6 was sold before I got there :facepalm: I did get to drive the E60 535i though. It was fully loaded, sport package, navigation, the works.

Pros:

- BMW seem to make its steering racks out of granite. Felt really solid.
- Handling and ride were really good. Felt as nimble as the modded Civic for sure, felt comfortable right away.
- Engine pulled strong... stronger than the E90 335i I sampled a while back for sure.
- Interior was really nice.... very nice place to be, definitely a step up from the 3er
- Roomy
- Auto trans doesn't sap the fun it seems

Cons:

- Stupid shifter (auto)
- 1st gen IDrive is abysmal. Possibly a deal breaker. Amazing to see how far infotainment has come
- Felt like it needed some new bushings. Shocks felt tight, but it was a little jiggly over bumps. I know BMWs chew through those like Flinstones vitamins.
- No fucking BT audio!
- Engine pulled strong but I didn't get much sense of the sound. I could probably live with a 4 banger if it pulls as hard which I imagine it would with the 8AT.

All in all pretty impressive, but still too flawed to seriously consider. Gonna try the F30 328i next, back to back with a G37S (there's a BMW dealer not far from an Infiniti dealer near me). Gotta try a new GTI too

I bet there is an engine sound volume adjustment hidden somewhere in those iDrive menus.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)