Just ordered a Bolt

Started by mzziaz, October 04, 2016, 12:10:43 AM

CaminoRacer

Challenge still accepted.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Cool! I hope he will enjoy it as much as we do atm.

How about you, NomisR? Gonna trade the Volt for one?
Cuore Sportivo

NomisR

I've decided on it, sorta waiting a bit to see what the 2018 model adds, hopefully Homelink.  If not, at least a good end of year discount..

MrH

So I was looking at a Bolt the other day.  What are they actually selling for these days?  On one hand, I see everyone talking about huge inventories and tons of money off.  I look on TrueCar and it's only $1000 off MSRP.

Also, the Volt has adaptive cruise control but the Bolt doesn't?  Something about the braking system can't accommodate it on the bolt?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

mzziaz

No, it doesn't have ACC for some reason. I heard an engineer say it was because they didn't want to to "blended brakes", but with all the regen going on, it would seem like a pretty simple add on.
Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quote from: mzziaz on September 18, 2017, 05:35:51 AM
A happy customer:

I do agree to most of his points

https://medium.com/@ethanstock/after-10k-miles-the-electric-chevy-bolt-is-the-best-car-ive-ever-owned-you-should-buy-one-c61493b47164

I can see how it would be a good choice if you can stomach an electric car--or if one even suits your lifestyle. I think one of the biggest issues with electric cars other than being a stopgap feel good technology, is that the places where they might most benefit are places where people can't own them--cities.

Also, what is the downside to a plug-in hybrid over a fully electric car? Why not have a gasoline back up engine?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2017, 08:34:32 AM

Also, what is the downside to a plug-in hybrid over a fully electric car? Why not have a gasoline back up engine?

only the extra weight/ maintenance.
Will

veeman

The all electric range of a plug in hybrid is much less than that of a pure EV car.  Prius prime plug in hybrid has an all electric range of 31 miles before gas engine kicks in.

Galaxy

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2017, 08:34:32 AM

On the i3 the ICE screws up the 50:50 weight balance.

Laconian

Gonna see my bro's Bolt today. :excited:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2017, 10:15:59 AM
Gonna see my bro's Bolt today. :excited:

Lick your finger and stick it into the....    :lol:
Will

Laconian

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 23, 2017, 11:32:51 AM
Lick your finger and stick it into the....    :lol:

I've touched a cigarette lighter with my thumb. Do not recommend.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Ooh, looking forward to your report.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

93JC

Kevin's dead, he licked his fingers and stuck them in the charging port.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on September 25, 2017, 04:27:04 PM
Kevin's dead, he licked his fingers and stuck them in the charging port.

:lol:

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on September 19, 2017, 06:16:08 AM

Does that really matter on the i3?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

I like it! The car's really nice for what it is. It's definitely one of the futuristic, high-dollar economy cars that's really plasticky and upholstered with god knows what polymers, but hey.. it's nice looking plastic. The interior is ginormous and the totally flat floor in the back is a surprising novelty. You could fit five adults in the car pretty easily. Car moves quietly and pulls quite hard when floored. It's not Ludicrous but the relentless gravitational PULL you feel is really unlike an ICE which has surges and stairsteps from the gearing and nonlinear powerbands. Dash LCD is high resolution and extremely easy to read even in bright sunlight. Center MMI is legible and responsive. Handling is fine, steering is a little numb but better than the Prius.

Overall the car feels nicely baked. It's a really useful EV for a shockingly reasonable price (just over $30k after all incentives.)

My only beef is with the seat cushions. They're really narrowly bolstered. My waist is 32", so if I have a problem with it, what will other, fatter Americans think?

mzziaz

Yeah, the seats have gotten a bit flak. I don't mind them, though.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

mzziaz

Hey, it's a long time since I had a 32 inch waist.

Waifu is happy too, though, and she is slim.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Funny how different you describe the acceleration, btw. Clearly, you are not coming from a 120hp diesel.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on September 26, 2017, 01:33:44 PM
Funny how different you describe the acceleration, btw. Clearly, you are not coming from a 120hp diesel.

:lol:
Will

Char

Quote from: Galaxy on September 19, 2017, 06:16:08 AM

The i3 is a fucking goofy look POS that isn't for people who care about driving, or looking smart.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on September 28, 2017, 07:04:04 PM
The i3 is a fucking goofy look POS that isn't for people who care about driving, or looking smart.

Idk the i3 is really sharp to drive

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on September 28, 2017, 07:34:37 PM
Idk the i3 is really sharp to drive

And it oooks like a turd. I pass on the functionless overpriced economy car. It screens power and moron.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.