Car for wife [updated]

Started by ifcar, October 23, 2016, 07:42:08 AM

Payman

2014 Nissan Versa Note SV, manual, cruise, A/C, pwr windows/locks, Bluetooth, 8000 miles, $9999? Seems to check all the boxes, plus it's still new enough to have lots of warranty...

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/Versa+Note/Prince+George/British+Columbia/5_28599101_20070924101317305/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_5

ifcar

Quote from: Rockraven on October 26, 2016, 10:53:28 AM
2014 Nissan Versa Note SV, manual, Bluetooth, 8000 miles, $9999? Seems to check all the boxes, plus it's still new enough to have lots of warranty...

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/Versa+Note/Prince+George/British+Columbia/5_28599101_20070924101317305/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_5

A Versa Note would be really be ideal for her, I think; unfortunately, Nissan annoyingly doesn't sell the manual with power windows here in the U.S.

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on October 26, 2016, 10:54:23 AM
A Versa Note would be really be ideal for her, I think; unfortunately, Nissan annoyingly doesn't sell the manual with power windows here in the U.S.

Bluh...

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on October 26, 2016, 10:55:09 AM
Bluh...

Kia does that with the Rio, too. (Unless you get a super rare Rio SX)

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 26, 2016, 10:19:41 AM
Did you not see the 10k dollar price cap?  5 door Minis are too new to have depreciated to that level.

Clubman?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on October 26, 2016, 10:45:46 AM
I wouldn't rule out the Scion xD- it's marginally bigger than the Yaris, and more available with options.

AS A MATTER OF FACT

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5826304334.html

I like that one. I would drive it.
Will

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2016, 03:06:48 PM
Clubman?

Clubman isn't a 5-door in the proper sense.  Ignoring the barn door cargo access instead of a hatch, there are only 2.5 doors to get into the passenger area from the sides.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 26, 2016, 04:06:14 PM
Clubman isn't a 5-door in the proper sense.  Ignoring the barn door cargo access instead of a hatch, there are only 2.5 doors to get into the passenger area from the sides.

I don't know man, a door is a door.  I don't know how you can have half a door, unless it's top and bottom. 

Like this:

I see five* doors.   :lol:

*One door is implied. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Update: She still hasn't arrived in the U.S. or tested anything yet, but her favorite has gravitated toward the Kia Soul, especially as some listings have emerged with 2012s and 2013s for under $7,000. She also fell in love with the Nissan Cube's don't-give-a-shit ugliness, but the manual is pretty rare. We'll know more soon.

ifcar

Update 2: A Soul that we'd been watching dropped in price today, so she asked me to go ahead and get it rather than waiting for her to try it out. 2012 Soul Base (1.6, 6M), 83k miles, $5,790 (including the dealer's fee but not tax/tags).

Eye of the Tiger

That looks just like the one I did a motor swap on a couple of months ago. :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 06, 2016, 07:36:33 PM
That looks just like the one I did a motor swap on a couple of months ago. :devil:

2012-14 1.6? It's not too late to add three years of powertrain warranty.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on November 06, 2016, 07:39:57 PM
2012-14 1.6? It's not too late to add three years of powertrain warranty.

Nah, I did it on an automatic, and it was a fluke. The torque converter bolts backed out and punched a hole in the block causing a coolant leak, and the owner just kept driving it until a piston broke into pieces and locked the engine up. There were a total of four holes in that engine block.
I think the powertains on those are generally fine.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 06, 2016, 07:46:32 PM
Nah, I did it on an automatic, and it was a fluke. The torque converter bolts backed out and punched a hole in the block causing a coolant leak, and the owner just kept driving it until a piston broke into pieces and locked the engine up. There were a total of four holes in that engine block.
I think the powertains on those are generally fine.

Cool, thanks.  :cheers:

Vinsanity

Nice. It might seem kinda weird to get her a car before she even arrives to go on test drives for herself, but honestly, it's probably the best compromise between the smaller Euro cars she's used to and the bigger Murican cars she'll be sharing the roads with. That, and she'll be spared the hassle of dealing with salespeople anyways.

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on November 06, 2016, 07:21:26 PM
Update 2: A Soul that we'd been watching dropped in price today, so she asked me to go ahead and get it rather than waiting for her to try it out. 2012 Soul Base (1.6, 6M), 83k miles, $5,790 (including the dealer's fee but not tax/tags).

Nice. Souls are the best looking of the sub-compact box cars. With the money you saved, should have picked up that yellow Celica for yourself.  :ohyeah:

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 06, 2016, 08:05:32 PM
Nice. It might seem kinda weird to get her a car before she even arrives to go on test drives for herself, but honestly, it's probably the best compromise between the smaller Euro cars she's used to and the bigger Murican cars she'll be sharing the roads with. That, and she'll be spared the hassle of dealing with salespeople anyways.

She wasn't looking forward to test drives anyway; her position was that I wouldn't recommend anything bad and she'd just get used to whatever it is. And yeah, the Soul definitely doesn't have a very vulnerable feel; my dad drove it home from the dealership for me, and he said it felt much bigger than his 2013 Fit (even though it's not).

Quote from: Rockraven on November 06, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
Nice. Souls are the best looking of the sub-compact box cars. With the money you saved, should have picked up that yellow Celica for yourself.  :ohyeah:

The money saved is probably going to go into a house renovations instead -- a better long-term investment anyway. And between press cars and our two existing cars, I'm out of driveway space; a poor Hyundai Elantra is exiled a block away already.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Congrats! I've always kind of liked those, only negative I could ever see was the  mpgeez seem kind of low.
Will

Rupert

My car enthusiast uncle has a Soul, so does my very non-enthusiast friend. They seem fine.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 06, 2016, 09:54:39 PM
Congrats! I've always kind of liked those, only negative I could ever see was the  mpgeez seem kind of low.

Thanks! Yeah, just 25 city/30 highway -- I guess the consequence of boxiness -- but hopefully those are easy to beat.

2o6

Nice!

Just as an FYI, the cruise control in these cars are "plug n play", so if you want a factory cruise control, you just need a steering wheel from another Soul with the cruise control.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

I rented a Soul for a few days a few weeks ago.  Newish, low miles, and obviously automatic.  I really liked that car.  Didn't feel sluggish or excessively buzzy.  I agree that it looks really good. 

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2016, 07:46:06 AM
Nice!

Just as an FYI, the cruise control in these cars are "plug n play", so if you want a factory cruise control, you just need a steering wheel from another Soul with the cruise control.

Good to know. She's more interested in a remote keyfob than cruise control, especially given that the car doesn't have a keyhole for the passenger side or cargo door. I was reading that it can be done, but we're not going to be doing either for now.

So far she's only driven the car for a couple of minutes but really likes it.

AutobahnSHO

Aftermarket remote locks are probably very worth the expense.
Will