Alfa Giulia First Drive C&D

Started by 68_427, October 28, 2016, 12:02:42 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 14, 2017, 03:12:05 PM
The 3er is only a nA inline 6, manual transmission, better steering rack, and much better suspension tuning away from being good
You could literally say this about any car in the segment :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 14, 2017, 07:11:05 PM
You could literally say this about any car in the segment :lol:

Except the Caddy
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 14, 2017, 12:07:17 PM
The rankings from 2nd to 9th seem almost random.

I do like the "This car is the best riding and handling car here, but the infotainment system isn't great, 6th place" about it.  I don't quite like the organization of the article, because they broke it up by characteristic rather than focusing car by car, so it's kind of hard to compare the cars because you don't really have a centralized section about a specific car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

I kind of prefer this format to a car by car one.... Seems like they cheap out and miss a lot of details when they go car by car.

cawimmer430

But are people really going to buy cars based on the comparison tests they win?

The only car which really interests me in this group is the Mercedes C-Class because I am familiar with the brand and the qualities of the car. I also adore the design of the current C-Class - give me a C220d Wagon and I'm all set.

How these cars drive on a track or the 'Ring doesn't interest me in the slightest. And most shoppers in this class also do not care about those traits.

Strangely, my second choice based purely on aesthetics would be the Infiniti; it's a sharp-looking car.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Jag/Alfa
Merc
Lexus

everything else
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 15, 2017, 01:16:52 PM
How these cars drive on a track or the 'Ring doesn't interest me in the slightest. And most shoppers in this class also do not care about those traits.

Did they take these cars to the track? :confused:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2017, 01:57:32 PM
Jag/Alfa
Merc
Lexus

everything else

The Jag, Alfa, and Caddy are the only ones that interest me, personally. And I'd probably go Caddy, because you can still have a manual.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2017, 03:37:24 PM
but they talked about speed and handling and not expected life of a coil pack!!!!!
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Local prices in little pesos for the Giulia just came out. The Quadrifoglio Verde is priced about 10K higher than a comp pack M3. The 4 pot is priced about the level of a 340i.

I am tempted by the QV. I could sell the M5 and look into it. Still a lot of green but the QV seems to be a very special car. And if I trade the M5 I would be "upgrading" in reliability too. Lol.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rich

Doooooo itttttttttttt

If anything just to experience something wholly new/different.

Twin terbow 90* V6!!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

How far do you live from the Chrysler dealer

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2017, 03:37:24 PM

The obsession with 0-60, handling etc. is something that might be important to enthusiasts, but not to the majority (average) buyers.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 16, 2017, 09:34:49 AM
How far do you live from the Chrysler dealer

Alfas have a separate dealer network here. There is a dealer in Leon and a few in Mexico City. That's all I'd need.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2017, 10:23:07 AM
The obsession with 0-60, handling etc. is something that might be important to enthusiasts, but not to the majority (average) buyers.

...who do you think reads Car and Driver?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

What I like about the Giulia reviews so far are not the raw performance specs, but rather all the talk about the balance between great performance and also liveability. That used to be BMW's main appeal. The M3 CP that I drove and rode in very recently was a fantastic performer but a bit too skewed towards performance over liveability IMO. Ride is hard.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 16, 2017, 10:37:59 AM
What I like about the Giulia reviews so far are not the raw performance specs, but rather all the talk about the balance between great performance and also liveability. That used to be BMW's main appeal. The M3 CP that I drove and rode in very recently was a fantastic performer but a bit too skewed towards performance over liveability IMO. Ride is hard.

I wasn't attacking the Giulia. It's definitely an impressive car and a wake-up-call to the other established cars in this segment.

My intent was to point out that the placements of these cars in magazine tests/articles has no effect on the spending habits of the car-buying public. I also think most enthusiasts, for the most part, may remain loyal to their favorite brands.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2017, 12:15:22 PM
I wasn't attacking the Giulia. It's definitely an impressive car and a wake-up-call to the other established cars in this segment.

My intent was to point out that the placements of these cars in magazine tests/articles has no effect on the spending habits of the car-buying public. I also think most enthusiasts, for the most part, may remain loyal to their favorite brands.  ;)

I agree with that. Enthusiasts are emotional about their cars, and attachment is a strong emotion.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 16, 2017, 12:15:22 PM

Reviews contribute to the conversation ongoing about a car. Alfa has gotten a number of wins -- that's great buzz surrounding a car that will rely heavily on conquest sales. If it was coming in last, or even lost somewhere in the middle, there's less incentive for someone to pay it much attention. But this review can certainly make a BMW owner want to find out what they might be missing.

12,000 RPM

Most of the stuff they talked about in this article had nothing to do with driving dynamics or performance. Hell most of this thread isn't either. What are you talking about?

68_427

Enthusiasts are also probably more likely to switch brands if one offers a better product because they're actually going to know about it rather than buying whatever Camry is on sale when they need a new car.
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

I swung by the "Alfa" dealer today to look at the Giulia. Turns out I was mistaken. These are actually Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Fiat dealers that also sell Alfas. More on this later.

The car

They sell only one version for the time being (no a la carte options). The 2.0T in what i would guess is a fairly loaded spec. The looks are fantastic. Easily best in the segment IMO. The interior too. Beautiful. Far better than a 3er. It is a lot more cramped than a 3er. I can't fit behind "myself" at all. The trunk is also a lot smaller. The electronics are ok but inferior to the germans, especially to BMW and Audi. The driving position is perfect. The steering wheel is fantastic. The shift paddles are best in class and column mounted too like a Ferrari.

Did I mention it is beautiful?

It is priced too high here, level with an optioned 340i instead of competitive with the 330i. Still, did I mention it is beautiful?

The dealer initial experience

OH MY FUCKING GOD. They had two cars on the floor. It took forever for someone to see me. When the girl got there with the key. I start the car.....and the starter turns....and turns.....and turns....until I press the starter button again to put it our of its misery. Turns out the car had NO FUCKING GAS at all. So we fo to the other car. It starts (with warnings and errors on the screen). It runs for 20 seconds. AND IT RUNS OUT OF GAS TOO. Imagine this was my car and they had it cranking on the showroom floor sucking air.

I ask for a spec sheet. They don't have it. I ask about the Quadrifoglio. They have no idea when it'll be available. 6 months she says...."but they told us 6 months for the base model and it took a year so we'll let you know".

The girl was nice and did her best. But what a crappy crappy experience. Also, both cars had warnings and errors on.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on March 17, 2017, 12:08:39 AM
Hard to buy a car in the US?

Impossible now, with the wall and how busy Mexicans are raping everybody when they cross the border.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i