Garage Chat

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 14, 2016, 05:15:08 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2016, 01:03:02 PM
I let him do the final tightening of the lugs once it was back on the ground (so if his wheel falls off "you touched it last!") and holy fuck did he tighten those things down too much...he was basically putting all his weight/effort into it on a 16" breaker bar.  He's gonna have the same issue next time he needs to swap a wheel. :lol:

:facepalm:

So when you heat stuff like that, do you break it while it's still hot? or does the heat action break the rust free and you could unbolt it even after it cools off a little??
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 09, 2016, 01:34:36 PM
:facepalm:

So when you heat stuff like that, do you break it while it's still hot? or does the heat action break the rust free and you could unbolt it even after it cools off a little??

We broke 'em lose while they were hot.  Dunno how well it works if you let it cool back down. :huh:

The heat does break the bond via expansion so I imagine it would still come lose easier even if it did cool back down.

SVT_Power

Swapped brake pads last week, can't believe shops wanted $500 to do pads + put the winter wheels on.

Did it all at home for $150 including buying a c-clamp and a breaker bar. (If I had more time and ordered pads on rockauto or something, would've been under $100).

Except in the course of saving that $$, I tweaked my back again and undid probably 2 weeks of physio/recovery. Not sure it was worth it.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Always nice to be able to do some of the basics yourself! :rockon:

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 13, 2016, 11:56:07 AM
Always nice to be able to do some of the basics yourself! :rockon:

Benefits of underground parking. Starts to dip below 50F in the winter, but hell of a lot better than being outside exposed to the elements.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 13, 2016, 12:05:12 PM
Benefits of underground parking. Starts to dip below 50F in the winter, but hell of a lot better than being outside exposed to the elements.

Yeah, being inside is half the battle.

MX793

I'd noticed over the past several weeks that my windshield washer nozzles had hardly any pressure.  I was barely getting enough to hit the base of the windshield with a paltry amount of washer fluid.  Then my low fluid light came on and I thought that perhaps a low fluid level was driving low pressure.  Put ~3/4 of a gallon into the reservoir and then hit the washers and still barely got anything on the windshield.  Then the next day as I was leaving work, having only used the washers like 3 times (and probably only put 10 oz of fluid on the windshield), the low fluid level light came on again.  Given that the sun is up maybe 9 hours and I'm at work at least 9.5 of them, I had to wait until I had a day off (today) to be able to have enough light to actually look under the hood and see what was going on.  Popped the hood this morning and started inspecting the line from the reservoir to the nozzles and, sure enough, the line was broken in two at the hinge point, with the ends loosely connected by a strip of tape.  From the amount of electrical tape wrapped around the spot, I'm guessing it has split some time ago and the previous owner thought that wrapping it with electrical tape would be sufficient.  Looking closer, the factory line was made from corrugated plastic tube rather than a more compliant elastomer,  Also, when I tried to pull the ends together where it broke when the hood was all the way up, there wasn't enough length there to actually get the ends to mate up without putting a lot of stress on things.  No wonder the line didn't hold up.  Nice job, Wolfsburg :rolleyes:.  Honestly, it was remarkable that any fluid was coming up to the nozzles at all.

Given that it's the day before Xmas eve, proper fix wasn't in the cards, so I MacGyvered up a repair by splicing a 4" length of .170ID PVC elastomer line from the local hardware store's plumbing department and duct tape.  After putting the quart of washer fluid I had into the reservoir, I gave it a quick test and the nozzles were spraying like new.  We'll see how long it holds.  I might be able to make it through the rest of the winter like that.  Then I'm off-loading this POS as quickly as possible.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

MacGyver doesn't go to the hardware store. He could have made the repair with a paperclip, used chewing gum, and a ball of pocket lint.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

It was MacGyver who used the tape in the first place.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 23, 2016, 02:42:12 PM
MacGyver doesn't go to the hardware store. He could have made the repair with a paperclip, used chewing gum, and a ball of pocket lint.  :devil:

My first inclination was to fabricate a few inches of hose using a ballpoint pen and the duct tape, but since I was driving by the hardware store anyway, figured I'd just hit up the plumbing aisle to see if they had anything better.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Autozone should have the actual hose, just tell them how much you need.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 23, 2016, 02:49:56 PM
Autozone should have the actual hose, just tell them how much you need.

It's not actually hose.  It's some kind of corrugated/convoluted plastic tube.  And the ends and fittings all appear to be thermally shrunk/welded onto the line, so you have to replace the entire line assembly rather than just popping some hose clamps and buying a length of cheap rubber hose to replace the damaged section.

Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Wow. Junk. You could rig up something better using surgical tubing and zip ties.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 23, 2016, 04:27:03 PM
Wow. Junk. You could rig up something better using surgical tubing and zip ties.

Yes, I've come to "appreciate" the nuances of German automobiles.  They make things more complicated than they need to be, and instead of using common parts and standards they do things like the above hose assembly.  Or they use their own internal oil specs rather than internationally recognized standards like API/JASO/ILSAC/ACEA like the Americans, Japanese, and Koreans.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

All the quirks are kinda neat/fun if you can afford it.  Otherwise..bleh.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 23, 2016, 05:49:49 PM
All the quirks are kinda neat/fun if you can afford it.  Otherwise..bleh.

Poor design for maintainability is never neat or fun.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2016, 01:46:41 PM
We broke 'em lose while they were hot.  Dunno how well it works if you let it cool back down. :huh:

The heat does break the bond via expansion so I imagine it would still come lose easier even if it did cool back down.

Here's a neat trick for getting rusty stuck lug nuts off.  Just need a lighter and a candle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdFsfSAuyc
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 21, 2017, 02:59:00 PM
Here's a neat trick for getting rusty stuck lug nuts off.  Just need a lighter and a candle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdFsfSAuyc

Neato. I'll try that at work. I wonder how it works on rusty exhaust bolts.

Rupert

Cool, but won't it make the nut come off more easily for a given tightened torque if you have to re-use it?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on January 21, 2017, 03:18:01 PM
Cool, but won't it make the nut come off more easily for a given tightened torque if you have to re-use it?

You'd either want to clean the wax off or adjust to a lubricated torque value (which is higher than a dry torque value) before re-installing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 21, 2017, 03:30:36 PM
You'd either want to clean the wax off or adjust to a lubricated torque value (which is higher than a dry torque value) before re-installing.

I will now wax all fasteners before installing. To remove, simply melt the wax away!

giant_mtb

I've heard the candle trick.  Never tried it because I didn't think it would actually work.  hah

But now I have a torch, so.

AutobahnSHO

Will