End of the sub-$18,000 car?

Started by Payman, November 29, 2016, 09:23:06 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 29, 2016, 02:57:15 PM
2 much woark. fancy electronics 4 teh whin

Nooooo not teh technerlergy!

2o6

Do you guys realize how absolutely fucking cheap modern infotainment screens are? All GM cars come with GMmylink which is a screen (No CD player) that has a backup camera that would easily be added in for minimal cost.

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2016, 12:12:42 PM
The camera will just be broken out of the pricy tech package and made standard equipment.  It won't be adding thousands to the base price of the vehicle.  The HW required isn't that expensive.  IIRC, it's less than $200.

Yep. A few cars with standard backup cameras (some Hondas and Hyundais) have converted the pricey upgrade to simply be a bigger display screen, but even there the market has pushed for the big screen to quickly be more widely available.

There are items that have made cheap cars significantly more expensive, and backup cameras just aren't going to be one of them.

Payman

Yeah okay, screens are cheap, but there's a lot more to it than that. Take the Nissan Versa...

Base model

Upscale model

Assuming the base models will now come with the upscale model's screen, that means the upgraded stereo interface as well. Not sure if a backup camera is available in any trim of the versa, but it'll need to be wired into all trim levels. While this might not bump the price of the base versa from $11,900 to $14,900, it'll still be a lot more than $200.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't want a touchscreen anything in a car. I like my base model with 3D control surfaces. Oooo 3D!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

There's a fairly recently enacted law in NYC that all large trucks need to have convex crossover mirrors in front so that the truck driver can see directly what's in front of the truck (like a child) at a stop light for example.

This law and a requirement for backup cameras on all cars is good, just as there has been a requirement for all new cars to have seat belts and airbags for several years now and fairly recently electronic stability control.

The minimum base price for cars will continue to rise making them unaffordable for some.  The alternative is what you have in India or China where the basic car is a rolling Iron Maiden.

12,000 RPM

Old cars are good enough that new car affordability is no big deal anyway. Most people will be OK with a 5-10 year old Camry/Corolla with an extended warranty.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on November 30, 2016, 06:09:40 AM
There's a fairly recently enacted law in NYC that all large trucks need to have convex crossover mirrors in front so that the truck driver can see directly what's in front of the truck (like a child) at a stop light for example.

This law and a requirement for backup cameras on all cars is good, just as there has been a requirement for all new cars to have seat belts and airbags for several years now and fairly recently electronic stability control.

The minimum base price for cars will continue to rise making them unaffordable for some.  The alternative is what you have in India or China where the basic car is a rolling Iron Maiden.

Some aids seem like they can lead to development of bad habits. IMO, learning to back with the mirrors is a necessary skill that a backup camera may be a substitute for, but does not give the same sort of awareness of what the rest of the car is doing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I have been seeing a LOT of commercials selling the merits of drivers aids on the basis of people being shitty drivers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2016, 07:36:32 AM
I have been seeing a LOT of commercials selling the merits of drivers aids on the basis of people being shitty drivers.

Look, you can text and drive and the car will brake for you!

Oh, I mean, don't text and drive...but if you do... ;)

Galaxy

Even in Germany you can get cars for under $10.000, and that includes 19%VAT.

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2016, 07:01:33 AM
Some aids seem like they can lead to development of bad habits. IMO, learning to back with the mirrors is a necessary skill that a backup camera may be a substitute for, but does not give the same sort of awareness of what the rest of the car is doing.

Yeah that's true but overall a backup camera is a very good thing to have especially with many cars having very poor sight lines like Camaros.  Having owned cars with and without backup cameras, it makes a huge difference for me especially at night in poorly lit areas.  Honestly I can parallel park my Infiniti QX56 (which has surround vision) easier and quicker than my Beetle because I know where the front, sides, and back of my car is in relation to the curb and the car in front and back of me. 

veeman

That's weird.  It won't let me correctly spell "parallel" and I fixed it a few times

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Oh looks like the others have been deleted.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2016, 07:01:33 AM

Cameras help fill in for a common blind spot that mirrors don't cover today.  Functionally, it's a mirror.  It will not help inattentive drivers who don't bother to look at the screen, same as a mirror doesn't help if you don't look at it (I'm sure we've all heard of people who backed into their own garage door because they forgot to open it and didn't bother to look in their mirror).  Unlike other driver aids, I don't see this one necessarily creating bad habits.  People with poor spacial awareness or who don't look at the mirrors they have won't be helped.  People who do now have one less blind spot.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2016, 05:14:19 AM
Yeah okay, screens are cheap, but there's a lot more to it than that. Take the Nissan Versa...

Base model

Upscale model

Assuming the base models will now come with the upscale model's screen, that means the upgraded stereo interface as well. Not sure if a backup camera is available in any trim of the versa, but it'll need to be wired into all trim levels. While this might not bump the price of the base versa from $11,900 to $14,900, it'll still be a lot more than $200.

The wiring is probably there and cheap to route. Nissan/Renault sells the Kwid....a car that's roughly half the price. It comes with a backup camera and touch screen.

Both screens and cameras are cheap.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Galaxy on November 30, 2016, 08:09:08 AM
Even in Germany you can get cars for under $10.000, and that includes 19%VAT.

Can you still get BMW/ MB with non-power windows there??
Will

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2016, 08:23:22 AM
It's one of Kevin's Easter eggs. Like Dodge Monaco or pushrod.

We need the pushrod easter egg back.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

There are aftermarket 7" touchscreen units for like $100-150.... they can definitely make them standard equipment

They should go even bigger..... make a 12" screen standard. Democratize the Panamera tech! Mandate that the rear view camera pop out of a Panamera style spoiler (for weather protection)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2016, 11:43:49 AM
There are aftermarket 7" touchscreen units for like $100-150.... they can definitely make them standard equipment

They should go even bigger..... make a 12" screen standard. Democratize the Panamera tech! Mandate that the rear view camera pop out of a Panamera style spoiler (for weather protection)

Better mandate moahr power for freeway merges too. :mrcool:
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 30, 2016, 08:51:29 AM
Both screens and cameras are cheap.

Seriously. My dad just bought a 27" computer monitor for $200. Adding the cost of a tiny screen and a webcam isn't going to add thousands to the cost of vehicles.

As usual, this is just general CarSpin panic over things changing in any way.

Raza

As much as I'm against this in general, I get it.  It's more of a natural consequence of all the other safety laws that continually push the beltline higher and higher, which forces the rear end higher.  Having driven a few modern sedans, it's not easy to see out of that back, and when reversing in a few tight spaces, I've been glad for the rearview camera. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Will

ifcar

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2016, 05:14:19 AM

Base model

Upscale model

Aside from the screen, why would that interface cost any more?

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on December 01, 2016, 04:02:58 AM

So you think they'll offer a feature from an upper range model without charging more for the base model? I dunno guys. It seems obvious to me the easiest way around this regulation is to no longer offer stripper base models altogether.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on December 01, 2016, 04:47:07 AM
So you think they'll offer a feature from an upper range model without charging more for the base model? I dunno guys. It seems obvious to me the easiest way around this regulation is to no longer offer stripper base models altogether.

In a lot of newer cars, the interface panel isn't part of the stereo.  It's a circuit board with some buttons on it that is wired to the actual stereo head unit, concealed behind the panel.  One panel shouldn't really cost more than the another.  It's the stereo unit where the features are, not the button panel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on December 01, 2016, 04:02:58 AM

Software engineering! Each manufacturer has to reinvent thr wheel for every touch screen interfacr.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)