The Mall Crawler Race heats up.

Started by Soup DeVille, December 22, 2016, 11:29:01 AM

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2017, 02:35:31 PM
Next on the list: disabling the DRLs, and finding a Bluetooth adapter for the radio. Don't know if I should bother trying to find a replacement for the missing 5-CD magazine or not.

How about getting a HU that talks Bluetooth natively?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 03, 2017, 10:35:24 AM
How about getting a HU that talks Bluetooth natively?

The HU is integrated into the Nav screen, and no aftermarket units seem to talk to it. I did find a wired in unit that uses the CD changer controls, which might be what I end up doing.

I wonder if it's worth it to find another center console insert that doesn't have the CD changer in it (it takes up over half the storage space.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 03, 2017, 03:13:50 PM
The HU is integrated into the Nav screen, and no aftermarket units seem to talk to it. I did find a wired in unit that uses the CD changer controls, which might be what I end up doing.

I wonder if it's worth it to find another center console insert that doesn't have the CD changer in it (it takes up over half the storage space.

IIRC, your model (a post facelift) has a much more "integrated" center stack than it's slightly older self (which used a typical head unit for the radio or NAV).  It might be tricky to swap that out.  I'd just stick to BT streaming if I were you.

Other than that, some off-road lights mounted on the front bumper would look great.

Air bags or stock springs?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on January 03, 2017, 06:03:55 PM
IIRC, your model (a post facelift) has a much more "integrated" center stack than it's slightly older self (which used a typical head unit for the radio or NAV).  It might be tricky to swap that out.  I'd just stick to BT streaming if I were you.

Other than that, some off-road lights mounted on the front bumper would look great.

Air bags or stock springs?

Real springs: which eliminates one of the most talked about "issues" in these years.

Yeah, it's pretty integrated, and staying. The unit I talked about just replaces the CD changer input with a BT link, and uses the factory steering wheel buttons to scroll through tracks.

It does need better lights, but other than tires and maybe wheels soon, and removing the running boards, I'm not going to do much else for a while. I've gotta decide what exactly to do with the wagon. Even if I don't replace the engine, there's some other work that needs doing. Gonna try to bite it off in smallish chunks because I need to balance my time with other, more adult and responsible things.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 03, 2017, 03:13:50 PM

Does the climate control tie into the nav screen too or not?  I think what most people end up doing is swapping to a non-nav stereo and HVAC, and then putting in a double DIN updated stereo.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on January 04, 2017, 08:27:14 AM
Does the climate control tie into the nav screen too or not?  I think what most people end up doing is swapping to a non-nav stereo and HVAC, and then putting in a double DIN updated stereo.

Yes.

Some have retrofitted the non-Nav center stack pieces, but all I really want is to listen to my music and have hands free phone calls.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2017, 08:43:09 AM

Okay, so two weeks for a shifty picture ain't bad...

Anyways. I'm really liking it so far. Rides and handles more truck like than many would like, but still solid and responsive in a heavy handed way. Mileage is lousy, but I expected that.

Congrats!

Has to handle better than the one I drove in Kabul- had 1.5in thick windows and armor in the doors and floor :mrcool:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2017, 07:50:04 PM
Congrats!

Has to handle better than the one I drove in Kabul- had 1.5in thick windows and armor in the doors and floor :mrcool:

A Jankel?

Soup DeVille

It's interesting to see how differently the parts and accessories companies seem to approach the LC compared to the Jeep/Pickup off-road crowd. Dual battery setups are some of the most offered things for he LC, and the biggest lift you'll see offered is 2.5", while if this was an F-150, you'd see dozens of lifts up to about 12 inches.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2017, 10:52:47 AM
It's interesting to see how differently the parts and accessories companies seem to approach the LC compared to the Jeep/Pickup off-road crowd. Dual battery setups are some of the most offered things for he LC, and the biggest lift you'll see offered is 2.5", while if this was an F-150, you'd see dozens of lifts up to about 12 inches.

I imagine the huge lifts are pretty useless outside of like... mudding. And I wouldn't expect to see many LCs out mudding.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2017, 10:52:47 AM

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Well, there's an exception to every rule I suppose.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 09, 2017, 12:00:01 PM
I imagine the huge lifts are pretty useless outside of like... mudding. And I wouldn't expect to see many LCs out mudding.

What I see a lot of is camping stuff: like a whole portable kitchen that folds up in the roof rack and stuff.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
What I see a lot of is camping stuff: like a whole portable kitchen that folds up in the roof rack and stuff.

Yup. Land Cruisers seem to be a lot more popular with the overlanding crowd than the mudding and technical offroading folks.

AutobahnSHO

Will

BimmerM3

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 09, 2017, 02:01:45 PM
Yup. Land Cruisers seem to be a lot more popular with the overlanding crowd than the mudding and technical offroading folks.

Same with Tacos.  Lots of camper toppers and roof top tents and stuff.  I'd like to get into it.  The most I've done is put my tent in the bed camping once because it was raining.  :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 10, 2017, 03:26:02 PM
Same with Tacos.  Lots of camper toppers and roof top tents and stuff.  I'd like to get into it.  The most I've done is put my tent in the bed camping once because it was raining.  :lol:

For sure. The overlanding subreddit is like 80% 4Runners, Tacos, and FJ Cruisers.

Rupert

Overlanding = offroading for people who want to sound smart.

:lol:

IMO unless you use your rig a lot for camping trips, it's a huuuge waste of time and money to set it up all fancy with lots of cabinetry and fold-out bits and roof mounted this and water system that, etc. It probably takes these guys more time to get everything set up one time than it does to construct a modestly luxurious camp spot with a tent and a foldable table and chairs (not to mention the time to build it, but I guess that's a hobby), and you only have to set camp up one time if you're staying in one place for multiple nights. You have to set up your truck every time you want to drive it somewhere, even if you come back to the same spot.

What I'm saying is, don't go nuts without thinking it through fully. Personally, I'm good with a couple of simple things that allow me to sleep in the back (screens, rain shields) and keep the essentials with me (wood box o' stuff), and the rest can pretty much be a standard camping trip.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2017, 05:46:16 PM

Yes and no though. It's more of a subset of offroading. Growing up in the SE, I always thought of offroading as like mudding, or going out on technical trails just for the fuck of it. Overlanding seems like it's more about getting out in the middle of nowhere, multi-day trips, and all that. It's all offroading and they can definitely overlap, but it seems like there are some distinct differences.

I just want to build a platform for sleeping since the Explorer's back isn't *quite* flat, and if I'm gonna do that I might as well build in a couple of drawers for storage. Definitely nothing too crazy though.

MrH

Yeah, overlanding is more about long trips into the middle of no where. I don't think any of those guys are really setting up camp for multiple nights.

Some of the builds are really cool though. My overlanding gear is an inflatable mattress and pump that fit in the back with the seats down :lol:  throw in a sleeping bag and I'm set.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2017, 05:46:16 PM

IMO unless you use your rig a lot for camping trips, it's a huuuge waste of time and money to set it up all fancy with lots of cabinetry and fold-out bits and roof mounted this and water system that, etc. It probably takes these guys more time to get everything set up one time than it does to construct a modestly luxurious camp spot with a tent and a foldable table and chairs (not to mention the time to build it, but I guess that's a hobby), and you only have to set camp up one time if you're staying in one place for multiple nights. You have to set up your truck every time you want to drive it somewhere, even if you come back to the same spot.

What I'm saying is, don't go nuts without thinking it through fully. Personally, I'm good with a couple of simple things that allow me to sleep in the back (screens, rain shields) and keep the essentials with me (wood box o' stuff), and the rest can pretty much be a standard camping trip.

Yeah, I've camped out of my truck many times before, dirtbike included.  But GEAR!  And cool TENTS!  And STUFF!

Rupert

Yeah, long trips in the middle of nowhere, I got that, but isn't that a lot of effort for such a specific thing? OK, if you're going on an epic month-long western road trip, it makes some sense to put some thought into it, but how many people are doing that vs. the occasional or even frequent weekend warrior camping trip?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Not many. But if you have the money and enjoy it... :huh:

It's no different than putting $3k into suspension modz for weekend rock crawling. 

Rupert

I mean I'm not talking about making it illegal here. ;)

But for rock crawling, you need $3k in suspension mods. You don't need that to go camping. I guess I don't really get all the gear and systems and shit that some people feel they need to enjoy the outdoors. Or I do get it, and just don't like it. It's an adversarial way of being in nature, and IME that's a great way to not have fun and/or do some resource damage. If you feel the need to be dominant over nature as opposed to a part of it... You know?

CaminoRacer

I think a lot of it is just so they can take pictures of it to post on the internet. The camping part is okay-ish, but the Instagram likes are what makes it worthwhile.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 10, 2017, 08:22:50 PM
I think a lot of it is just so they can take pictures of it to post on the internet. The camping part is okay-ish, but the Instagram likes are what makes it worthwhile.

Pretty much. I'll continue to get by with my 4x6 tent that fits in my bed if it has to.  Ground with a pad is uhhh just fine.  All my camping supplies fit in the bed and/or bed, even with dirtbike.  Otherwise, I don't really get the point of roof tents besides cool factor.  But hey, whateva.  Not like I have $1700 to spend on some cool roof rack tent thing anyways. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2017, 08:08:30 PM
I mean I'm not talking about making it illegal here. ;)

But for rock crawling, you need $3k in suspension mods. You don't need that to go camping. I guess I don't really get all the gear and systems and shit that some people feel they need to enjoy the outdoors. Or I do get it, and just don't like it. It's an adversarial way of being in nature, and IME that's a great way to not have fun and/or do some resource damage. If you feel the need to be dominant over nature as opposed to a part of it... You know?

I totally understand and agree with your points.  Like, a normal tent for two adults fits in a tube bag that's 4' long and maybe a foot in diameter.  Why sacrifice your entire bed space to carry a loft? heh

I do like the idea of a bed topper for camping, though. Makes it similar to sleeping in an SUV...but that's what tents are for. Aggggh!

CaminoRacer

If you don't need to haul a dirtbike around, a bed topper makes sense for just about any situation IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no