What's got two live axles?

Started by Rupert, December 31, 2005, 08:57:54 PM

Tom

QuoteI do.
That's a good one.

Very few new vehicles carry two live axles. The Wrangler as mentioned will proudly carry two live axles. I'd like one with a limited slip differential on each axle. The lives are strong but have a rough ride. Ford Explorers have 4 wheel independant suspension and I hear it rides carlike. For a certain sum of money you can convert your independant front suspension to a live axle on certain vehicles.

However, my dad's trailer has two live axles.  :D

the Ford and Chevy trucks both ride like cars, the chevy over certain bumps and speeds  will bounce up and down like its getting ready to dive, it doesnt get lose or feel like your going to lose control but it is very annoying (nothing a shock swap cant fix, and i plan to fix it ;) ) i'm assuming the ford is the same :hammerhead:

our horse trailer has 2 live axles :lol:
Neither of your trailers have live-axles.   Live axles are driven, and non-driven examples like those on trailers are called dead axles or beam axles.  

The only vehicles I can think of right now that surely have live axles are Wranglers, and Dodge and Ford Heavy duty trucks.  GM heavy pickups use IFS, I believe.
By that definition a 2wd Ford Super Duty would have a beam front axle, not a live one. That doesn't make much sense.
That just means it doesn't spin.  

Rupert

QuoteNo, you do not drive with differential locked. It's dangerous and treacherous. Scary ha?
Both wheels will be turning at the same when you go around curves meaning your ride will be hard to control.

Normally with open differntials the inside tire slows down when you're going around a curve or turns at a slow rate than the outside tire.

Lockers are designed give maximum traction in areas where you have a wheel slippage like in huge mud hole on a dirt rode or a boggy bottom.

An ARB locker locks and unlocks with air pressure. They're reek with coolness.
No kidding. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA