Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
4 (28.6%)
Fifty shades meatier
1 (7.1%)
What the hell is wrong with you?
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

My friend has pink ones on her WRX.  They actually don't look bad :lol:

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Considering the pinkish nature the STi logo has (used to have?) that kinda makes sense.  Then they started capitalizing the "i" and all that bullshit. :rolleyes:

Soup DeVille

Well, it's become quite clear that Land Cruiser dudes aren't Jeep dudes. I mean I knew that, but didn't realize the depth of it. Asked on a forum what the best way of disabling traction control was. 90% of the responses are "why would you do that? That's unsafe!" Others suggest pulling the fuse, but direct me to the wrong one.

Jeep guys at least understand why, most would have the answer, and one of them would likely have a video up and parts numbers for it. You could ask there how to modify your Jeep to be front wheel drive in low range, and they'd have an answer for you.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 02, 2017, 10:13:01 AM
Well, it's become quite clear that Land Cruiser dudes aren't Jeep dudes. I mean I knew that, but didn't realize the depth of it. Asked on a forum what the best way of disabling traction control was. 90% of the responses are "why would you do that? That's unsafe!" Others suggest pulling the fuse, but direct me to the wrong one.

Jeep guys at least understand why, most would have the answer, and one of them would likely have a video up and parts numbers for it. You could ask there how to modify your Jeep to be front wheel drive in low range, and they'd have an answer for you.

This is one of the reasons I want to hang onto the Miata.  Answers and info galorreeeeeee
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rich on March 02, 2017, 10:26:49 AM
This is one of the reasons I want to hang onto the Miata.  Answers and info galorreeeeeee

There's an Aussie forum that is really good, but a lot of things aren't the same for those. All NA series 100s are V8, and those are almost never seen down under. They also got solid axle front suspension and diesel models. Also, bare bones work truck grade trims are the most popular.

AutobahnSHO

Interesting. So Land Runner drivers are non-technical?
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 02, 2017, 04:07:07 PM
Interesting. So Land Runner drivers are non-technical?

American Land CRUISER owners do not seem as mechanically inclined and/or as likely to modify their vehicles as Jeepers do. Not surprising really considered the numbers involved and the entry price. Not a bad bunch of guys really, but just less keen to turn a wrench.

The Aussies seem much more like our Jeep guys, although not quite so gonzo.

giant_mtb

Aussies seem pretty big into "overland" style offroading from what I've seen.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 02, 2017, 08:20:10 PM
Aussies seem pretty big into "overland" style offroading from what I've seen.

They do, and it makes sense there. Few organized campgrounds, but a shit ton of open space. They also have some really cool tiny folding camp trailers I wish were more popular here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSGedXi2riY

MrH

Yeah, those are awesome.  They're big in the 4Runner community.  I think you would like that better than the LC community.  More extreme guys and DIYers.  I think the price point for Land Cruisers makes it mostly for the rich.

I really like the roof top tents honestly.  You can rig up a pulley system in the garage to pick it off the top of your vehicle for when you don't want to have it on there.  Trailers are a lot harder for me to store.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on March 03, 2017, 07:27:36 AM
Yeah, those are awesome.  They're big in the 4Runner community.  I think you would like that better than the LC community.  More extreme guys and DIYers.  I think the price point for Land Cruisers makes it mostly for the rich.

I really like the roof top tents honestly.  You can rig up a pulley system in the garage to pick it off the top of your vehicle for when you don't want to have it on there.  Trailers are a lot harder for me to store.

Yes, that's probably right; but for specific tech help, it doesn't work.

Rupert

We had this discussion already, but before you go and spend a huge pile of money on outfitting your car for "overlanding", think through the experience with all that specific gear, and then without it. What are you gaining by spending all that money? I would argue it's not convenience or the ability to do something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Think also about how much you're going to use it-- do you already go out camping a lot, or are you assuming that once you have all that rad gear, you'll start camping enough to justify its expense?

Is the pleasure of shopping and owning that stuff worth the expense (and poseur status ;) )? Gear is cool and all, but not without a purpose.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2017, 03:54:30 PM
We had this discussion already, but before you go and spend a huge pile of money on outfitting your car for "overlanding", think through the experience with all that specific gear, and then without it. What are you gaining by spending all that money? I would argue it's not convenience or the ability to do something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Think also about how much you're going to use it-- do you already go out camping a lot, or are you assuming that once you have all that rad gear, you'll start camping enough to justify its expense?

Is the pleasure of shopping and owning that stuff worth the expense (and poseur status ;) )? Gear is cool and all, but not without a purpose.

Well, where did I say I was going to do all this in the first place?

I'm quite certain that having it parked on a paved driveway has already given me all the poseur status I need to get marked down in the proper column in your book, which is all I really wanted anyways.

And yes, I do camp quite often. No place I haven't been able to get to with the station wagon yet, but it has been close a time or two.

Soup DeVille

So, for the record, the only "mods" I'm really planning on at this point are getting the fire extinguisher mounted better (more of an attempt at irony than anything), and disabling the DRLs and adding a button to cut-out the traction control.

Oh, and I've already removed the running boards.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2017, 03:59:12 PM
Well, where did I say I was going to do all this in the first place?

I'm quite certain that having it parked on a paved driveway has already given me all the poseur status I need to get marked down in the proper column in your book, which is all I really wanted anyways.

And yes, I do camp quite often. No place I haven't been able to get to with the station wagon yet, but it has been close a time or two.

You didn't, that was a general comment...

Man, I bet the wagon would be great to sleep in-- so commodious!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2017, 04:04:37 PM
So, for the record, the only "mods" I'm really planning on at this point are getting the fire extinguisher mounted better (more of an attempt at irony than anything), and disabling the DRLs and adding a button to cut-out the traction control.

Oh, and I've already removed the running boards.

Why disable the DRLs? I don't get that one.

Everyone needs a fire extinguisher, IMO.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2017, 04:08:34 PM
Why disable the DRLs? I don't get that one.

Everyone needs a fire extinguisher, IMO.

You don't have to. If I want lights on, I'll turn them on. If not, I want them off.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2017, 04:07:25 PM

Man, I bet the wagon would be great to sleep in-- so commodious!

It works great for solo sleeping. Not so much with two not-so-small boys sharing the same space. I have a mat that is the exact right width side to side, but about a foot short of the full space.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2017, 04:13:24 PM
You don't have to. If I want lights on, I'll turn them on. If not, I want them off.
I hate DRLs with a passion!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2017, 04:07:25 PM

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2017, 03:54:30 PM
We had this discussion already, but before you go and spend a huge pile of money on outfitting your car for "overlanding",

quite a lecture.
Will

Soup DeVille

CaminoRacer

How did you accomplish this?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 08, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
How did you accomplish this?

Place called cruiserheads 4x4 sells custom laser etched buttons that fit the older style Toyota blanks (and those for JK Wranglers), so I ordered a couple. Didn't get the font and size quite right, but it's close enough I think.

Idiot mode cuts out the power to be traction/stability computer. The only real drawback is that it won't come back on until the car is restarted; that would require a time delay relay board to mimic the ignition signal.

The "aux light" button doesn't do anything yet, but I got a discount on the second button.

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2017, 12:02:04 PM
Place called cruiserheads 4x4 sells custom laser etched buttons that fit the older style Toyota blanks (and those for JK Wranglers), so I ordered a couple. Didn't get the font and size quite right, but it's close enough I think.

Idiot mode cuts out the power to be traction/stability computer. The only real drawback is that it won't come back on until the car is restarted; that would require a time delay relay board to mimic the ignition signal.

The "aux light" button doesn't do anything yet, but I got a discount on the second button.

Looks real nice.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2017, 12:02:04 PM
The only real drawback is that it won't come back on until the car is restarted; that would require a time delay relay board to mimic the ignition signal.

"Drawback"...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on March 08, 2017, 10:01:49 PM
"Drawback"...

I don't see it as a problem, but I may work on a solution eventually. The button would really only be used to get through soft sand or mud/snow when the traction control would lower wheel speed. Resetting afterwards only takes a couple seconds.

AutobahnSHO

Will