New Ford Expedition

Started by ifcar, February 08, 2017, 08:57:15 AM

ifcar

For the first time since like 2003, Ford appears to have a legitimate challenger to GM's dominance in this segment.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-expedition-photos-and-info-news?src=socialflowFB

cawimmer430

From this angle it looks as long as an Excursion!  :mask:

Nice exterior and interior, though.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 08, 2017, 09:19:49 AM
From this angle it looks as long as an Excursion!  :mask:

The extended wheelbase version should be about the same.

GoCougs

Well, the current (old) Expedition on paper (esp. IRS) should have been more than a legit challenger to the GM SUVs but it never got there, even in 2003.

Ford also has to sort itself out with the aluminum stuff. Saves weight WRT previous Ford models but only brings such models about in line with the competition.

Boo on the rotary shifter. That's reason enough to steer clear. Grill too - reminiscent of the defunct Lincoln Navigator. Just too much.

12,000 RPM

They stopped selling the Navigator?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: Galaxy on February 08, 2017, 09:31:21 AM
The extended wheelbase version should be about the same.

The extended version is supposed to get about 1 inch longer which should leave it about 2 inches shorter than a Suburban and 5 inches shorter than the old Excursion.

Galaxy

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 08, 2017, 09:55:20 AM
The extended version is supposed to get about 1 inch longer which should leave it about 2 inches shorter than a Suburban and 5 inches shorter than the old Excursion.

On a behemoth that size that works out to "about the same" right?  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 08, 2017, 09:43:17 AM
Well, the current (old) Expedition on paper (esp. IRS) should have been more than a legit challenger to the GM SUVs but it never got there, even in 2003.

Ford also has to sort itself out with the aluminum stuff. Saves weight WRT previous Ford models but only brings such models about in line with the competition.

Boo on the rotary shifter. That's reason enough to steer clear. Grill too - reminiscent of the defunct Lincoln Navigator. Just too much.
Rotary shifters are pretty convenient, I've found.  Take less space, simple to operate and look very neat; especially if they retract.

As for the Expedition, looks very nice.  I especially like the grille as it gives a more classy look it; less truckish and more elegant.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2017, 11:30:06 AM
Rotary shifters are pretty convenient, I've found.  Take less space, simple to operate and look very neat; especially if they retract.

You know what else is convenient? Peeing sitting down.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Quote from: Galaxy on February 08, 2017, 10:59:46 AM
On a behemoth that size that works out to "about the same" right?  :lol:
It's in the ballpark.

I own a '99 Suburban and I have driven a 2000 Excursion. The Suburban feels more nimble, if I can use that word, than the Excursion. They are both huge but the Excursion felt more numb.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2017, 11:31:09 AM
You know what else is convenient? Peeing sitting down.
You've noticed that as well, have you?  I've never felt the need to prove my manhood by spraying all over the bathroom floor; especially as I'm usually the one cleaning it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2017, 11:34:14 AM
You've noticed that as well, have you?  I've never felt the need to prove my manhood by spraying all over the bathroom floor; especially as I'm usually the one cleaning it.

Especially for those with aiming issues.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2017, 11:37:55 AM
Especially for those with aiming issues.
I find it best to avoid a gushing waterfall of noise in the middle of the night when my wife is sleeping as well.  Not a pleasant thing for me to have her wake up to.

Soup DeVille

There's also these things called "doors."

68_427

It's bad.  Front and rear design are too soft for the hard creased GM copycat side profile and the interior has too much f150 in it.  They should have softened the shapes up a bit to better match the exterior
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 08, 2017, 12:09:35 PM
There's also these things called "doors."
Yes, but there are also door 'latches' that sound like a firecracker going off in the middle of the night.  Believe me, my trips to the washroom and back in the middle of the night require the skills of a ninja if I'm to avoid disturbing my wife's beauty sleep.  She's a sweet person, but she does insist on an undisturbed sleep.

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2017, 12:59:47 PM
Yes, but there are also door 'latches' that sound like a firecracker going off in the middle of the night.  Believe me, my trips to the washroom and back in the middle of the night require the skills of a ninja if I'm to avoid disturbing my wife's beauty sleep.  She's a sweet person, but she does insist on an undisturbed sleep.

Tamulosin.  :muffin:

FoMoJo

Quote from: 68_427 on February 08, 2017, 12:27:22 PM
It's bad.  Front and rear design are too soft for the hard creased GM copycat side profile and the interior has too much f150 in it.  They should have softened the shapes up a bit to better match the exterior
Visions of oligarchs and drug lords and burly men with ear pieces entering GM full size SUVs.  The Expedition looks refined and sophisticated in comparison.  A vehicle for dignitaries and the fashionable.

FoMoJo

r0tor

I know the rear overhang is there for space, but it looks pretty ridiculous compared to the well proportioned front end
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 08, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
It's in the ballpark.

I own a '99 Suburban and I have driven a 2000 Excursion. The Suburban feels more nimble, if I can use that word, than the Excursion. They are both huge but the Excursion felt more numb.

The Suburban was a far better vehicle than the Excursion. 

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2017, 09:50:32 AM
They stopped selling the Navigator?

Nope, it saw the same switch to the Ecoboost V6 as the Expedition a couple of years ago and will also be fully redesigned for 2018.

shp4man

Excursion was based on heavy truck chassis, Burb based on light truck chassis.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2017, 03:49:21 PM
Excursion was based on heavy truck chassis, Burb based on light truck chassis.

And Burb was a better design in every way, unless you really wanted a solid front axle for rock crawling with a giant truck wagon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 08, 2017, 03:52:29 PM
And Burb was a better design in every way, unless you really wanted a solid front axle for rock crawling with a giant truck wagon.

Unless towing a big trailer.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

I'll admit right now, I have very little respect for anything GM built after about 1973.

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
Visions of oligarchs and drug lords and burly men with ear pieces entering GM full size SUVs.  The Expedition looks refined and sophisticated in comparison.  A vehicle for dignitaries and the fashionable.

It's a Korean Suburban.  They even copied the ads :lol:  Ford even used what looks like a Korean copy of an Airstream

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 08, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
It's in the ballpark.

I don't think that was the length though. More so the awful steering used by that generation of Ford super duty trucks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2017, 11:59:38 AM
I find it best to avoid a gushing waterfall of noise in the middle of the night when my wife is sleeping as well.  Not a pleasant thing for me to have her wake up to.
This is why you aim for the side of the bowl my friend.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs