New Ford Expedition

Started by ifcar, February 08, 2017, 08:57:15 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: 68_427 on February 08, 2017, 10:49:07 PM
It's a Korean Suburban.  They even copied the ads :lol:  Ford even used what looks like a Korean copy of an Airstream

Even Ford's ad is much better. So scenic :praise:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on February 08, 2017, 03:35:54 PM
Nope, it saw the same switch to the Ecoboost V6 as the Expedition a couple of years ago and will also be fully redesigned for 2018.

Oh, I see. Can't remember the last time I saw one and god is it (that grill) ugly.

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2017, 03:49:21 PM
Excursion was based on heavy truck chassis, Burb based on light truck chassis.

The Excursion was based off the 3/4-ton Super Duty and back then there was such a thing a 3/4-ton Suburban based of HD GM trucks (don't think they have 'em today).

There were a wide variation in engines available in each, but typically, the stats were about even, though the Excursion had the edge in cargo space. In terms of everything else - comfort, handling, fit/finish, etc., the Suburban was leagues ahead.

RomanChariot

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2017, 03:49:21 PM
Excursion was based on heavy truck chassis, Burb based on light truck chassis.

My Suburban is a 2500 so it is the closest equivalent to the Excursion.

Quote from: TBR on February 09, 2017, 05:14:35 AM
I don't think that was the length though. More so the awful steering used by that generation of Ford super duty trucks.

That is likely true. I don't have much experience with Ford super duty trucks. The steering did not have much feel but the Excursion was a capable heavy hauler.

Quote from: GoCougs on February 09, 2017, 08:35:37 AM
The Excursion was based off the 3/4-ton Super Duty and back then there was such a thing a 3/4-ton Suburban based of HD GM trucks (don't think they have 'em today).

There were a wide variation in engines available in each, but typically, the stats were about even, though the Excursion had the edge in cargo space. In terms of everything else - comfort, handling, fit/finish, etc., the Suburban was leagues ahead.

Chevy quit making the 3/4 ton Suburban around 2014 from what I understand. From the 2007 model and up the 2500 is rare as hen's teeth which is sad because I would like to replace mine with a newer model someday but it is hard finding what I want and most dealers want a major premium for the 2500 models.

veeman

GM massively overcharges for the luxed up versions of the Tahoe/Yukon (Denali) and the 3rd row is cramped.  Escalade is stupid expensive almost.  IMHO they look awesome though.

Expedition will have much better 3rd row and mid level version will likely undercut a Denali by 10 grand.  Those factors alone would make me choose it over a GM even though I think the exterior styling isn't as good. 

Never been in a Sequoia.  I'm very happy with the Infiniti beheamoth even with the weird hot rod/semi truck had a kid look.  Never been in an Armada which is mostly the same thing. 

giant_mtb

Oh man, I totally forgot about the Sequoia...been so long since I've seen/noticed one.  Is the Sequoia based on the Tundra then?

Submariner

http://www.government-fleet.com/news/story/2016/06/chevrolet-expands-suburban-3500hd-to-police-fleets.aspx

Apparently they still do make a 3500 Suburban, but offer it only to agencies/fleet buyers.

And it starts at 80k.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

68_427

Quote from: veeman on February 09, 2017, 11:25:39 AM
GM massively overcharges for the luxed up versions of the Tahoe/Yukon (Denali) and the 3rd row is cramped.  Escalade is stupid expensive almost.  IMHO they look awesome though.

Expedition will have much better 3rd row and mid level version will likely undercut a Denali by 10 grand.  Those factors alone would make me choose it over a GM even though I think the exterior styling isn't as good. 

Never been in a Sequoia.  I'm very happy with the Infiniti beheamoth even with the weird hot rod/semi truck had a kid look.  Never been in an Armada which is mostly the same thing. 

Well of course a mid level trim will be cheaper than the competitors to trim
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 09, 2017, 11:58:35 AM
Well of course a mid level trim will be cheaper than the competitors to trim

I didn't say top level trim of Expedition because sometimes Ford has a very top level (KingRanchHarleyDavidsonEddieBauer version)that doesn't look or feel too much different than their middle version as opposed to GM's Denali which looks much more premium than GM's regular version.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 09, 2017, 11:33:54 AM
Oh man, I totally forgot about the Sequoia...been so long since I've seen/noticed one.  Is the Sequoia based on the Tundra then?

I drive a Sequoia pretty often.  Woman's family had 2 of them, now they're down to one just down in Florida at their condo.  It's MASSIVE, but I love that thing.  It's no Land Cruiser, but I'd buy it over a GM or Ford competitor any day.

GM's pricing is way too high on these.  My 4Runner was $37k.  A pretty modestly equipped 4WD Tahoe is $51k.  It's slightly bigger than the 4Runner, but not in any way that provides much more usable space.  3rd row is a bit better, that's about it.

It's just not worth 40% more IMO.  I think part of the problem is the MSRP vs selling price on these.  It's so drastically different, and depends on what time of the year, but I think a lot of people write these vehicles off as too expensive just based on MSRP alone.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on February 10, 2017, 08:51:39 AM
It's just not worth 40% more IMO.

Especially since you're probably losing another 40% or more when you sell.

Even my super-conservative, born and raised in Podunk, AL, always driven American cars in the past step-dad has joined the Tacoma bandwagon for his next truck.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2017, 08:59:04 AM
Especially since you're probably losing another 40% or more when you sell.

Even my super-conservative, born and raised in Podunk, AL, always driven American cars in the past step-dad has joined the Tacoma bandwagon for his next truck.

Yeah, you get totally murdered on the other end of the transaction too.

Just blows my mind people load up Tahoes to $70k.  Is it twice the vehicle of a 4Runner?  Not at all.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

I drive a Sequoia pretty often.  Woman's family had 2 of them, now they're down to one just down in Florida at their condo.  It's MASSIVE, but I love that thing.  It's no Land Cruiser, but I'd buy it over a GM or Ford competitor any day.

GM's pricing is way too high on these.  My 4Runner was $37k.  A pretty modestly equipped 4WD Tahoe is $51k.  It's slightly bigger than the 4Runner, but not in any way that provides much more usable space.  3rd row is a bit better, that's about it.

It's just not worth 40% more IMO.  I think part of the problem is the MSRP vs selling price on these.  It's so drastically different, and depends on what time of the year, but I think a lot of people write these vehicles off as too expensive just based on MSRP alone.

The discounts and rebates on these trucks is astounding too, which just adds to the mystery of what they're actually going for.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

I saw an ad touting like $11,000 off Silverados.  The fuck do they have such high prices for if they're gonna give you $11k off anyway?  Just be straight. Get all this wheeling and dealing bullshit out of the way, especially for new vehicles.

68_427

Wtf the Sequoia is shit
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

I would never cross-shop a 4Runner and a Tahoe.  Two very different machines, IMO.

Soup DeVille

Tahoe is more akin to the Sequoia, I'd think.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 10, 2017, 01:17:45 PM
Tahoe is more akin to the Sequoia, I'd think.

Makes sense, considering a Sequoia starts at $45.5k.  Dunno why MrH is cross-comparing 4Runners and Tahoes.  That's like me comparing my Tacoma to a Silverado.  :confused:  :hammerhead:

RomanChariot

The Tahoe and the Sequoia are almost identical in size and pricing an 4WD LS trim Tahoe against a 4WD SR5 Sequoia they are within $1000 of each other.

MrH

Interior space wise, I don't think a Tahoe and Sequoia are all that close.  At least it doesn't feel that way driving and riding them. :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Is Sequoia more like an inbetween of Tahoe and Suburban?

RomanChariot

The Sequoia has less headroom than the Tahoe but it has more hip room and shoulder room. The Sequoia also has more cargo room. The Tahoe has more leg room in the first two rows but quite a bit less in the third row. Neither of them touch the volume of the Suburban behind the third row.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 10, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
Makes sense, considering a Sequoia starts at $45.5k.  Dunno why MrH is cross-comparing 4Runners and Tahoes.  That's like me comparing my Tacoma to a Silverado.  :confused:  :hammerhead:

Not to mention you can't even get a V8 in the 4Runner (anymore) and you could never get a V6 in the Tahoe...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

The Tahoe seems to have become less about interior space and more about the luxury and tough image of a big-looking car. Plus probably some of the extra height and width of the front seating position. It's definitely a fail as a family hauler compared to even a midsize crossover.

2o6

It's also mega refined, and I'm pretty sure it out tows the 4Runner.

Rupert

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 10, 2017, 05:02:08 PM
Not to mention you can't even get a V8 in the 4Runner (anymore) and you could never get a V6 in the Tahoe...

When could you get a V8 in a 4Runner? That would be news to me...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 11, 2017, 12:42:03 PM
When could you get a V8 in a 4Runner? That would be news to me...

2003 to 2009.

Rupert

Whoa, really? Seems excessive.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille