neues auto - 3-month update

Started by Vinsanity, February 13, 2017, 12:46:10 AM

cawimmer430

Glad to hear she is treating you well.  :ohyeah:

I can imagine that the V6 features more than enough power for everyday driving, despite what magazines may say. My dad's E350 CGI has the same engine but with direct injection (the E350 CGI is a Euro-spec model only) and 292-horsepower and it's pretty sweet - and economical.

Agreed on COMAND. It's manageable but outdated and slow to use. I felt that in the W212 COMAND was DOA because it lacked touchscreen and was so primitive and slow in functionality. It wouldn't bother me since I have a new Garmin navigation system and would use it over COMAND if the Benz were my daily driver.

It's also amazing how tossable this large car is. Despite its size it does feel nimble and the steering feedback is good enough for an enjoyable sporty drive.

I wish you many more happy miles with the car!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 13, 2017, 04:54:28 AM
I can imagine that the V6 features more than enough power for everyday driving, despite what magazines may say.
Can you point to one magazine that has called the MB 3.5L underpowered or inadequate?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 12, 2017, 07:11:12 PM

How's the search coming along for your commuter?

Realistically it is on hold until next year at the earliest. But I keep looking just for fun. I am all over the place. My latest thinking is that I want a coupe because what do I need a sedan for when we already have the X5 and MINI for family errands? Better to get something with style.

When I think I want something comfortable the leading candidate is the new Merc E400 Coupe or even better the E43 when and if it shows up. I want ACC so that would rule out almost anything used because very few cars in Mexico come equipped with it. I also like the new Infinity Q60 400 sport.

But then I drive the 1M or the E46 and love just how much fun they are and think maybe something a bit fun would be nice. The 2 series just got facelifted and for the first time will be available with ACC. So an automatic M240i with ACC and the optional limited slip diff is also looking good. It is also less expensive than the options above. I love the looks and drive of the M2 but that´s quite stupid with the rest of the garage (except if I look towards a long term - lifetime collection). And no ACC.

And even more far out, that new 8 series coupe BMW is teasing. That would be grand! Of course it will cost twice as much.

So, all over the place. Fantasyland mostly.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 13, 2017, 04:54:28 AM
Agreed on COMAND. It's manageable but outdated and slow to use. I felt that in the W212 COMAND was DOA because it lacked touchscreen and was so primitive and slow in functionality. It wouldn't bother me since I have a new Garmin navigation system and would use it over COMAND if the Benz were my daily driver.

To be fair, it was probably one of the best infotainment systems you could get in 2014.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2017, 07:19:47 AM
Can you point to one magazine that has called the MB 3.5L underpowered or inadequate?

"Not as powerful as a 535i", maybe, but I don't think I've heard it referred to as underpowered, either. Granted, do you have to rev it a bit, but it's equal in power to the 500 V8 engines from one generation back, for crying out loud.

Vinsanity

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 13, 2017, 08:42:03 AM
I also like the new Infinity Q60 400 sport.

I saw my first one on the road earlier this week, and honestly IMO, it looks like the future. Between that, the Lexus LC, A-M DB11, and the new 8-series, I'm really liking this personal luxury coupe renaissance we seem to be entering.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 13, 2017, 10:31:54 AM
To be fair, it was probably one of the best infotainment systems you could get in 2014.

"Not as powerful as a 535i", maybe, but I don't think I've heard it referred to as underpowered, either. Granted, do you have to rev it a bit, but it's equal in power to the 500 V8 engines from one generation back, for crying out loud.
I mean it's about as fast as my car with a similar powerband. In no way is my car slow. Wimmer's power crazy American meme is played out.

It is a little sad that they basically replaced that engine with another lumpy laggy 2.0T. You got the best of the breed IMO.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2017, 11:39:08 AM
You got the best of the breed IMO.

I like to believe so :praise:  According to wikipedia, M-B spent a billion euros simply to refresh the W212. That's a lot of cash to burn for a mid-cycle refresh lasting 3 model years. And the new E looks nice and all, but for the life of me, I still can't tell one apart from the current C. I can't argue against the fancy new interior, tho.

12,000 RPM

Yea, the E Class usually has something different going on  than the C/S... they played it too close this go round. Good car, and I really love the interior.... but overall I think yours is probably the best. I prefer the exterior of the facelifted W211 the most, but I'm sure its infotainment is ancient at this point.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2017, 07:19:47 AM

Relax! I'm thinking back to the days when the 3.5 V6 was rated at 276-horsepower (Europe) and 265-horsepower (North America). That engine received a lot of hate, mostly form people who had never driven it.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 13, 2017, 10:31:54 AM

I'm spoiled by touch screens.  :tounge:

Our ex-W211 E320 Avantgarde didn't have COMAND, but it had APS-50, which I found to be easier and more comfortable to use than COMAND. Sometimes simplicity is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAv46JEo0qM

www.wimmerfotografie.de