Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2017, 04:16:22 PM
I bought a cheap, tiny Sansa MP3 player maybe 7 or 8 years ago.  $50 (cheaper than the cheapest iPod at the time and with 2x the storage capacity).  About the same physical size as an iPod Shuffle of the same vintage, but actually has a small LCD display with song title, artist, etc.  Even has (limited) onboard playlist building capability.  Couple of gigs of music storage.  Supports drag & drop.  What's Apple's excuse?  You're telling me a tech giant like Apple couldn't figure it out?  More like they want to force people to use iTunes, which gets people more integrated with and invested in the i-life.  Great way to retain customers; I can't knock the business sense there, but a huge turn-off to people who don't want to be tied down to a particular brand.

I still use my Sansa Clip  :mrcool:

I really don't like iTunes, it tries to do too much.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2017, 04:16:22 PM
I bought a cheap, tiny Sansa MP3 player maybe 7 or 8 years ago.  $50 (cheaper than the cheapest iPod at the time and with 2x the storage capacity).  About the same physical size as an iPod Shuffle of the same vintage, but actually has a small LCD display with song title, artist, etc.  Even has (limited) onboard playlist building capability.  Couple of gigs of music storage.  Supports drag & drop.  What's Apple's excuse?  You're telling me a tech giant like Apple couldn't figure it out?  More like they want to force people to use iTunes, which gets people more integrated with and invested in the i-life.  Great way to retain customers; I can't knock the business sense there, but a huge turn-off to people who don't want to be tied down to a particular brand.

iPod was HDD based. Very slow random access time, and energy intensive to use. It was higher density and a whole lot cheaper than flash though.

Once Apple's went solid state, the argument becomes moot - it's probably just the usual legacy baggage at that point. But back in 2001 (or whatever), it was a tradeoff that made sense for the performance characteristics of spinning disks.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on July 06, 2017, 04:54:29 PM
iPod was HDD based. Very slow random access time, and energy intensive to use. It was higher density and a whole lot cheaper than flash though.

Once Apple's went solid state, the argument becomes moot - it's probably just the usual legacy baggage at that point. But back in 2001 (or whatever), it was a tradeoff that made sense for the performance characteristics of spinning disks.

Fair enough.  I was probably a little off on my timeframe of early 00s.  My first exposure to iPods and iTunes was probably more in the '05-'06 timeframe, at which point the flash drive Nano and Shuffle were out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Remember when iRiver was a legit player in the scene?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2017, 03:52:57 PM
I wouldn't exactly call iTunes circa early 2000s great UI.  What's Apple's aversion to being able to transfer MP3s from computer to device via drag & drop?
This was actually what took me out of the Apple universe. Well this and the fact that I could get a phone + SD card for cheaper than an Ipod touch. ITunes sucks. Wifey still hates it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

I think Teslas are fucking trash. I had this conversation with my friends, most of which aren't car people, but instead 'tech guys'

The comments here about how the Teala's appeal and it's marketing is spot on -it isn't made for car people. It's heavy, can't do any real performance driving and can literally drive itself. Beyond being fast it's a cheaply built unreliable pos with a solid AC motor and shitty energy storage system.

These ugly pieces of shit are made for douche IPad hipsters with tight pants, beards and manicures. Total pussies basically.

The biggest problem with these epic soon to be shit boxes is planned obsolescence. Supposedly technology is moving so fast, I can't imagine what that means for nbattery technology and resale value on these cars. Who would want to buy a used car with degraded batteries and then pay to have them replaced? Especially when you coul have a brand new model that will do everything better? No one is talking about this... so what's the solution? Have people finance or lease a car every few years and have them at the mercy of the finance industry?
Do you want to buy an electric car (2 years old lets say) and then have to replace the battery pack to the tune of x thousands of dollars - and it's still the inferior technology that was developed 5 years ago (thinking product life cycle)?

While a new car is using better technology for long lasting batteries. Seems like batteries are dumb honestly, maybe fuel cells or capacitors hehehe.

When gas engines have pneumatic valves, and they get 40% boost in efficiency for the same cost as they are now, It's going to be a very hard argument to sell an electric car at that point.

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

I'm half awake, pardon my grammar. This is a novelty car we are trying to force mainstream. It's also a piece of shit
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

93JC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 09:21:52 AM
There's obviously a lot more to a car than this, but the top of the line model literally beats everything in the world to 60 except the Porsche 918.

Right; that's precisely what I was waiting for someone to say. And that's all fine and dandy but like you said there's more to a car than that and by every other subjective measure, qualities I already remarked on earlier—steering, braking, interior and exterior assembly quality, fit and finish—Teslas cars are not particularly good. Especially in the rarefied atmosphere of top-of-the-line luxury sedans and SUVs that the Model S and Model X compete on price with.

0-60 in less than three seconds is cool, but only a Model S P100D with "Ludicrous mode" enabled will do that, and guess what? That car costs a hundred and ninety-five thousand dollars (Canadian). It better be amazing at that price, and other than the doodads and being able to rip off acceleration runs that fall just short of "going plaid"... it ain't that good!

I applaud Tesla for trying to bust through bullshit state legislation protecting the racket that dealerships have become. I think electric cars are a cool idea, and I've earmarked money for upgrading my property's electrical service to accommodate 50-100 A of future car charging capacity. I'm all for electric cars, I love the idea of spending 2¢/km on 'fuel' rather than 10 and the convenience of 'refuelling' at home. That said, I don't fucking like Teslas. Not because they're electric, because they're stupidly expensive (and let's stop pretending the average out-the-door cost of Model 3s isn't going to be closer to double that promised $35,000 (USD) starting price...), aren't built all that well, and I don't think I'll ever get past that atrocious giant iPad bullshit.

Galaxy

Quote from: Char on July 06, 2017, 10:11:13 PM
Who would want to buy a used car with degraded batteries and then pay to have them replaced?

That argument you also have with conventional cars with regards to the IC engine. Granted they last a long time now a days, but the whole drive train is something that often causes big bills on older cars. Electric engines? They will probably go 50 years with little wear.

I do agree that the battery equation is something the E-industry needs to settle.

r0tor

'Murica built an entire auto industry centered on cars that go fast in a straight line and couldnt turn, stop, or pass a gas station without having to fill up.

Tesla should be treated with complete nostalgic pride
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on July 07, 2017, 06:06:59 AM
'Murica built an entire auto industry centered on cars that go fast in a straight line and couldnt turn, stop, or pass a gas station without having to fill up.

Tesla should be treated with complete nostalgic pride

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Will

Submariner

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2017, 02:33:24 PM
The apple analogy fits there too- Tesla drew out the non-car people to be interested in electric performance. Apple drew out all the non-geeks to think digital files for music was cool. There were better 'sounding' MP3 players on the market pre-iPod but most people wouldn't know it.

No.  Apple made holding 5,000 songs in your pocket easy.  Other MP3 players had terrible physical interfaces, UI, etc. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Just being able to abuse an HDD so much was astounding.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2017, 11:13:12 AM
No.  Apple made holding 5,000 songs in your pocket easy.  Other MP3 players had terrible physical interfaces, UI, etc. 

Only if you weren't a geek. And the iPod had tested and verified worse sound quality. :huh:

But I agreed already with your overall point

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2017, 04:05:31 PM
My dad had a Windows tablet computer in 2001. It was absolute garbage, the UI sucked and it took the iPad to show that big screens could be easy to use (and the iPhone before that). Apple single-handedly created giant markets out of bringing the people factor into technology.
Will

Laconian

The 2000's was a decade of Microsoft trying, and failing, to cram Windows onto fucking everything.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on July 07, 2017, 11:57:11 AM
The 2000's was a decade of Microsoft trying, and failing, to cram Windows onto fucking everything.

That period is still upon us.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on July 07, 2017, 11:58:56 AM
That period is still upon us.

Although with Windows 10 the implementation is much better. That one can hook a projector, and keyboard to a phone and power up Excel can be useful in certain situations.

12,000 RPM

Yea I was going to say, they've succeeded... well to some degree, are Windows phones still a thing?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 07, 2017, 01:13:33 PM
Yea I was going to say, they've succeeded... well to some degree, are Windows phones still a thing?

No, but Wimmer says he really liked his. I played around with the notion of getting one a little while ago when they were DIRT CHEAP

but....    no apps available.
Will

veeman

Recent photos of the model 3 including interior:

http://imgur.com/a/zhvq8

Car looks fantastic.  I think I'll put down a deposit later this week for one.  My Camry lease will be over in 3 years and a model 3 would be a great replacement.  Car should be ready in 3 years too. 

2o6

that interior still seems very unsafe. It would cost very little for them to put a screen repeater in front of the steering wheel for MPH and state of charge. That screen is mounted too low for anyone to safely see speed, while driving.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2017, 12:17:17 AM
that interior still seems very unsafe. It would cost very little for them to put a screen repeater in front of the steering wheel for MPH and state of charge. That screen is mounted too low for anyone to safely see speed, while driving.

How can you tell, without ever having sat in the car?

Those pics were taken in San Jose, at the top of one of the most fun (but sketchy) roads around - Mt. Hamilton observatory.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2017, 12:17:17 AM

Does it have a HUD? In that case I could see not having a display in front of the driver, but otherwise, yeah Mini thankfully gave up on that.

2o6

Quote from: Galaxy on July 10, 2017, 04:19:38 AM
Does it have a HUD? In that case I could see not having a display in front of the driver, but otherwise, yeah Mini thankfully gave up on that.

Nope. No HUD.

MX793

Centrally mounted gauges/instruments can be done effectively (see:. Toyota Prius), but they need to be mounted high and far enough forward so that they are in the driver's peripheral vision.  That big screen looks too low and too close to do that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on July 10, 2017, 08:35:54 AM
Centrally mounted gauges/instruments can be done effectively (see:. Toyota Prius), but they need to be mounted high and far enough forward so that they are in the driver's peripheral vision.  That big screen looks too low and too close to do that.

also its jumbled in with a lot of other information

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2017, 08:55:55 AM

also its jumbled in with a lot of other information

I have to imagine it will be customizable before long.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Are we all forgetting that Tesla would rather not even have a steering wheel in the car if they could?  Most driving is going to be intended to be done autonomously.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2017, 10:36:18 AM
Most driving is going to be intended to be done autonomously.

The Model3 has much less autonomous functionality as standard compred to the X, and S.