Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 03, 2018, 01:11:43 PM

I think the jury's still out wrt how great he is.

Early on he had some ginormous wins but for some time he's chased dead-end business enterprises and he never sounds all that smart when he talks about them, even outside these ridiculous gaffes.

giant_mtb

If you put too many irons in the fire, the fire's just gonna go out.

GoCougs

Ha, ha Jim Cramer is a colossal moron.

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2018, 07:38:17 AM

If you put too many irons in the fire, the fire's just gonna go out.

The stuff about not catering to day traders and if you can't deal with volatility don't own the stock I am fine with.  It's the condescension and evasiveness wrt legitimate questions, not to mention the immature dorkiness of actually saying "uncool" that is inappropriate for the ceo of a public company to say in an earnings call.

I heard one of the analysts he shut down was like II no 1 voted as well, I have no idea if he's generally schmucky but apparently some don't think so.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on May 04, 2018, 06:39:17 PM
The stuff about not catering to day traders and if you can't deal with volatility don't own the stock I am fine with.  It's the condescension and evasiveness wrt legitimate questions, not to mention the immature dorkiness of actually saying "uncool" that is inappropriate for the ceo of a public company to say in an earnings call.

I heard one of the analysts he shut down was like II no 1 voted as well, I have no idea if he's generally schmucky but apparently some don't think so.

100%

TBR

I don't think it's shorttermist at all to worry about how long they can actually run at this mythical 5000 3s per week number before they run out of demand.

giant_mtb

That's true. Once all the deposit orders are filled, are they expecting to keep selling at that rate?  I don't see it happening.  Everybody who wanted a Tesla put a deposit down. Everybody else is still eating their lunch.

MrH

Quote from: TBR on May 05, 2018, 04:09:01 AM
I don't think it's shorttermist at all to worry about how long they can actually run at this mythical 5000 3s per week number before they run out of demand.

Who cares about the demand dropping off? They've got more demand than they know what to do with and can't make a profit fulfilling it. They aren't hitting anywhere close to 5,000 a week and even if they do, they still won't be cash flow positive. And these are only the highly optioned ones!

When they start getting to the back end of the reservations with the dirt cheap ones, it's going to get even uglier.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

It is a genius move- get a sense for how many cars they need to build by creating hype and taking deposits.

Other manufacturers WISH they could nail that figure down.
Will

12,000 RPM

Problem with that approach is their implementation can change that demand. There have been a lot of cancelled orders.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Can't post article but apparently Musk put out an edict that the only contractors who can work are the ones Tesla employees are willing to risk their jobs to vouch for. Factory morale must be at all time highs, dude is a great leader.

MX793

Musk also announced Model Y production will commence within 24 months, despite not having a factory lined up and despite it typically taking close to 36 months from breaking ground to producing vehicles at a new factory.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 07, 2018, 01:03:26 PM
Can't post article but apparently Musk put out an edict that the only contractors who can work are the ones Tesla employees are willing to risk their jobs to vouch for. Factory morale must be at all time highs, dude is a great leader.

Wut?

OK, so say I'm a Tesla employee, I came from an automation background and know several contractors personally. One calls me and asks me to vouch for them to secure the contract. I don't know the details of the contract, and it very well could be a good company making a bad deal.

I'm not vouching for anybody; unless they pay me. At which point, pay me enough and I'll vouch for anybody.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Listen man I'm just relaying what I read... Musk himself can't make sense of it

Tave what's your take

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 07, 2018, 01:43:22 PM
Listen man I'm just relaying what I read... Musk himself can't make sense of it

:lol: :rockon:
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2018, 01:11:00 PM
Musk also announced Model Y production will commence within 24 months, despite not having a factory lined up and despite it typically taking close to 36 months from breaking ground to producing vehicles at a new factory.
Found this, gives a bit of context: https://electrek.co/2018/05/06/tesla-brutal-review-contractors-firing-vouching-employee
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Uhoh

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/ntsb-investigating-tesla-crash-fire-killed-2-florida-115804083--abc-news-topstories.html

Teens going way too fast, hit a wall. Two teens trapped and died as the car caught on fire, backseat passenger was ejected and at hospital.
Will

MX793

Seems like Teslas have a tendency to go up in flames during bad accidents.  This is what, the second or third in a couple of months?  Not that fuel burners don't ever go up in flames, but I would expect the rate for electrics to be much lower given they aren't carrying gallons of volatile liquids.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Not unfair to think Tesla has completely thrown out all conventional wisdom with crash safety. It can be improved™

Tesla supposedly put up its Freemont factory as collateral for more loans....

https://uk.reuters.com/article/tesla-factory/tesla-offers-fremont-factory-to-boost-liquidity-ifr-news-idUKL1N1SF2LU

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 11, 2018, 05:20:35 AM
Not unfair to think Tesla has completely thrown out all conventional wisdom with crash safety. ™

Indeed.  They know better than anyone else how to make cars anyhow.   :nutty:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Saw a red Tesla X this morning. Kinda different, especially in the neighborhood they were headed towards.
Had a trailer hitch with one of those cargo carriers.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
Seems like Teslas have a tendency to go up in flames during bad accidents.  This is what, the second or third in a couple of months?  Not that fuel burners don't ever go up in flames, but I would expect the rate for electrics to be much lower given they aren't carrying gallons of volatile liquids.

Those batteries, though.

Raza

I'm no battery expert, but aren't batteries filled with flammable liquids?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on May 12, 2018, 07:25:39 AM

Not flammable, but they are a source of potential energy that's only held in check by a series of membranes, and electrical shorts can happen when everything gets squished together.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on May 12, 2018, 07:25:39 AM

No.  The electrolytes used in batteries are not flammable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Morris Minor

Lithium ion batteries can get into runaway fires, which are very difficult to contain.

12,000 RPM

If you've ever clicked two live jumper cable leads together you can see how quickly things can go to shit with batteries. And unlike HC fuels as long as there is contact that shit's gonna keep burning. Combine that with needing to 3D scan your face to get out of a Tesla and that could get bigly bad fast.

Morris Minor

Report: Tesla battery reignited days after fiery crash in Mountain View
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/10/tesla-battery-reignited-days-after-fiery-crash-in-mountain-view/

MX793

Report of another Tesla slamming into the back of a stopped firetruck at full speed this week, this time in Salt Lake.  Unkown if autopilot was actually engaged.  Regardless, don't these have emergency autonomous braking?  Or don't those systems work above certain speeds?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/utah/articles/2018-05-12/utah-police-tesla-slams-into-truck-stopped-at-red-light
Needs more Jiggawatts