Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 03, 2019, 06:45:00 AM
Why? He wasn't rude or ambiguous. There's nothing in his emails that has warranted Tesla's practices. You guys are so easily annoyed.

What do you mean, "you guys?"  :devil:

I am not here to defend Tesla (I almost never do), I am just pointing out how absurd the youtuber was.

Soup DeVille

He didn't do things the way I would have, but that doesn't make him wrong; and in the spectrum of customer service, he was downright professional. If you think he was being absurd, you should see some actually absurd customers sometime.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 03, 2019, 07:40:17 AM
He didn't do things the way I would have, but that doesn't make him wrong; and in the spectrum of customer service, he was downright professional. If you think he was being absurd, you should see some actually absurd customers sometime.

Really, you don't think paying insurance on a car you haven't taken delivery of yet (and acting like its Tesla's fault) is absurd?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

MrH

It's 100% Tesla's fault for not being able to give him a date that he'll have his car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 03, 2019, 07:47:35 AM
Really, you don't think paying insurance on a car you haven't taken delivery of yet (and acting like its Tesla's fault) is absurd?

The whole insurance thing is beside the point, IMO.  The real tragedy is the inability of Tezla to deliver the car in the first place.  Or even give him an accurate time table of when to expect it.  :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 03, 2019, 07:35:30 AM
I am not here to defend Tesla (I almost never do), I am just pointing out how absurd the youtuber was.
His absurdity (by your standards) is irrelevant in the context of what actually matters- Tesla's CPO shitshow. You act like if he hadn't started paying insurance on the car or been less annoying (to you) Tesla would have delivered it by now.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 03, 2019, 08:24:01 AM
His absurdity (by your standards) is irrelevant in the context of what actually matters- Tesla's CPO shitshow. You act like if he hadn't started paying insurance on the car or been less annoying (to you) Tesla would have delivered it by now.

That's not what I said or how I am acting.

The faster delivery thing is something you made up a few posts ago. This is what i actually posted re: Tesla's issue in this particular scenario:

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 02, 2019, 05:03:44 PM
PS. I don't mean the above as a defense of Tesla. They shouldn't put a used car up for sale until they have the title IMHO, but I have heard of regular car dealers doing the same thing.

I think "you guys" problem is that you see everything in an "us vs them" point of view.

For an actual person, instead of internet persona, its possible to see that Tesla messed up AND this youtuber made things more difficult for himself. Its not an either/or situation.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

You have really lofty expectations for a random dude on YouTube.  He's actually more informed on how it all works than the general public is.

The story is not how uninformed the public is about how car buying works.  It's how terrible Tesla is at it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

And how dealerships can usually answer those same questions in about 20 seconds. And deliver the car the same day.

MrH

It points to more than just incompetence. Here's a good summary of what is potentially going on.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1080841512223690753.html
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

By the time he actually paid for insurance, Tesla had dropped the ball long before then.

Yes, you need to have insurance on a car to finance it, and to take delivery of it, so yeah, you put insurance on the car before you evr get it.

No, I wouldn't have paid the insurance when I still didn't have a car after 30 days; but by then, it was indeed Tesla's screwup.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

He bought the car, and to do so, he had to have insurance (because he financed it through Tesla). Then the process starts in getting the car to him. It's also in his best interest to have insurance, as if the car is damaged or stolen in transit, he is protected.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on January 03, 2019, 08:43:01 AM
You have really lofty expectations for a random dude on YouTube.  He's actually more informed on how it all works than the general public is.

The story is not how uninformed the public is about how car buying works.  It's how terrible Tesla is at it.

I've watched a few of his rebuild vids. Dude is legit sharp.

I wouldn't have done it by email however - that is an awful way to make progress IME.

MrH

You guys are hung up on the wrong thing.  These are massive signs of fraud, and you're all worried about some dude paying 2 extra months for insurance :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

It's a common startup mindset to do whatever it takes to get cash flowing in based on future promises. A real nightmare for the people in charge of operations. And def sketchy.

SJ_GTI

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 03, 2019, 10:57:59 AM
It's a common startup mindset to do whatever it takes to get cash flowing in based on future promises. A real nightmare for the people in charge of operations. And def sketchy.
Yea dude might have shined a light on something else the SEC might want to look at.

I wonder if non-refundable deposits are legal through a dealership. I'm assuming not because I've never heard of such a practice outside of for exotic allocations.

But let's get back to him paying insurance and corresponding through email.............................................

2o6

Y'all get hung up on some of the most minute details. Two insurance payments totaling what...$750?  $1000 max?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 03, 2019, 11:24:08 AM
Y'all get hung up on some of the most minute details. Two insurance payments totaling what...$750?  $1000 max?

Holy shit, I'd hope not.

You gettin' those young black dude rates, man.

BimmerM3

Yeah, honestly most of what's going on here is pretty common in software - it's just a lot more visible to the public when it's a physical product from a high profile company. Not that that's an excuse though - there are plenty of device manufacturers that don't have these issues, or at least have them to a much lesser extent. Of course, Tesla's "device" is way more complicated than other tech devices.

4th frame, in particular:

MrH

Selling out of trust isn't just some common thing start ups do that's kind of sketchy.  It's a felony.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 03, 2019, 11:33:07 AM
Holy shit, I'd hope not.

You gettin' those young black dude rates, man.

The guy said that the Model X was expensive to insure.

CaminoRacer

Quick Google shows that some people are getting quotes for $370-380 a month. Others are getting cheaper rates than that through better companies.

giant_mtb

That seems really expensive.  I insure my truck and my shop for like $185/month.  :confused:

12,000 RPM

He's in NYC so I wouldn't doubt $750-1000 being one month's payment

I was paying $300 a month or so for liability only on my POS Accord like 10 years ago. But again he couldn't get financing without insurance so it is what it is.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 03, 2019, 11:35:00 AM
Yeah, honestly most of what's going on here is pretty common in software - it's just a lot more visible to the public when it's a physical product from a high profile company. Not that that's an excuse though - there are plenty of device manufacturers that don't have these issues, or at least have them to a much lesser extent. Of course, Tesla's "device" is way more complicated than other tech devices.

There is definitely a very different mentality between SW engineers and mechanical/HW engineers with regards to what is construed as good enough.  Mostly because SW bugs can always be fixed with a patch or update, which is considerably less expensive than fixing a mistake on physical product.  A power train engineer screws up when spec'ing valve springs, and the company needs to recall all of the faulty engines, take them apart, replace the springs with new ones, and the old defective ones go to scrap.  Millions in material that needs to be replaced, probably 8 hours per vehicle to fix.  If the guys writing the engine control code screw up, they send out a CD or flash drive with a SW update to the dealerships and they just have customers come in and a tech reflashes the ECU in like 15 minutes.  Minimal material cost, minimal labor cost to remediate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 03, 2019, 11:35:00 AM

Most software developers are mediocre. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Software quality is exxxxtreeemely difficult to verify, thanks to Godel's Incompleteness Theorem and the halting problem... that is, it's impossible to statically verify Turing-complete software from "outside the system". We can do things to intuit where bugs might lie since there are often certain observable patterns and behaviors that indicate the presence of bugs, but they're imperfect approximations. The productive output of other engineering disciplines can be analyzed and verified ad nauseum. Software, on the other hand, remains a black box.

afty here is a really strong domain expert in the realm of static analysis, actually.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

AKA, no matter how thorough your coding is, some idiot will do something you'd never imagine anyone would do & break it?