Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

12,000 RPM

Yea the Camaro is just not well proportioned. Super odd, because the pooprod should enable it to have a low shoulder line, and I feel like the ATS/CTS with which it shares a platform with, which have taller DOHC engines, don't have this problem.

Pretty much from the 4th gen F body on its been the same story. Higher performance at the expense of everything else, with lagging sales as a result.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2019, 11:52:57 AM
Yea the Camaro is just not well proportioned. Super odd, because the pooprod should enable it to have a low shoulder line, and I feel like the ATS/CTS with which it shares a platform with, which have taller DOHC engines, don't have this problem.

Pretty much from the 4th gen F body on its been the same story. Higher performance at the expense of everything else, with lagging sales as a result.

The Camaro has the 3.6 as well....

MrH

Can we get some r0tor hot takes on this morning's very bullish news? :popcorn:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Tesla's goal has always been to automate as much as possible, so I don't think this is all that surprising.

MrH

The inbox at CustomerSupport@tesla.com is bouncing emails back saying it's full.

Must have automated the hell out of complaints :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 18, 2019, 08:53:45 AM
Tesla's goal has always been to automate as much as possible, so I don't think this is all that surprising.

Generally, a corporation doesn't lay off people in lieu of automating, esp. when growing. Typically what happens is staff is swapped (laying off production managers and hiring robotics engineers). This layoff happened immediately - people were walked to the door. This is about Tesla (and SpaceX) desperate to make various numbers. It looks awful, but is actually sorta good thing, in that Musk or his handlers are realizing that corporations have to be a viable business to survive (I still have grave doubts about Tesla's future, but it's mostly that most people can't afford the cars and that no automaker has ever made money selling EVs).

Soup DeVille

Tesla could make a lot of money licensing other EVs to be able to use Supercharger stations.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 21, 2019, 01:10:07 PM
Tesla could make a lot of money licensing other EVs to be able to use Supercharger stations.

Tesla's already made the offer and no one has accepted.

A (DC) charge standard begets a whole slew of engineering design decisions, and no automaker is keen on waiting for Tesla to call the tech shots on EV design nor to sit around and let Tesla be first.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2019, 01:07:23 PM
Generally, a corporation doesn't lay off people in lieu of automating, esp. when growing. Typically what happens is staff is swapped (laying off production managers and hiring robotics engineers). This layoff happened immediately - people were walked to the door. This is about Tesla (and SpaceX) desperate to make various numbers. It looks awful, but is actually sorta good thing, in that Musk or his handlers are realizing that corporations have to be a viable business to survive (I still have grave doubts about Tesla's future, but it's mostly that most people can't afford the cars and that no automaker has ever made money selling EVs).

There has been an abrupt change in what Tesla is doing and how they operate over the last few weeks.  It's all very un-Elon like.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2019, 01:37:34 PM
There has been an abrupt change in what Tesla is doing and how they operate over the last few weeks.  It's all very un-Elon like.

Elon is fat now.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2019, 01:37:34 PM

My bet is Model 3 demand is falling much faster than predicted and that someone finally got through to Musk that as a result the end is imminent without profound changes.

12,000 RPM

I'm still reeling from the CPO process (which doesn't exist anymore BTW)

I want to believe :(

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2019, 01:54:56 PM
My bet is Model 3 demand is falling much faster than predicted and that someone finally got through to Musk that as a result the end is imminent without profound changes.

Well, they have new board members.  That's one theory.  One of them got control.

Another option:  SEC is putting the screws on hard

The most likely in my opinion: PWC is not willing to sign off based on what they're seeing currently.  I think there's a really good possibility of previous quarters numbers having to be retracted. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Other interesting notes:  Tons of service centers closing in Europe and being removed from the Tesla site.  Supercharging and referrals are now gone.  If you want to run your model 3 via supercharging networks, it's cost per mile is roughly equivalent to a 30 mpg gas car.  Everything points to a massive cash crunch right now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2019, 04:25:09 PM
Other interesting notes:  Tons of service centers closing in Europe and being removed from the Tesla site.  Supercharging and referrals are now gone.  If you want to run your model 3 via supercharging networks, it's cost per mile is roughly equivalent to a 30 mpg gas car.  Everything points to a massive cash crunch right now.

anyone not see this coming?

(besides fanbois, many of them Tesla owners)
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2019, 04:25:09 PM
If you want to run your model 3 via supercharging networks, it's cost per mile is roughly equivalent to a 30 mpg gas car.
I have no sympathy for anyone who bought a BEV without a way to charge at home.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 22, 2019, 05:46:32 AM
I have no sympathy for anyone who bought a BEV without a way to charge at home.

Supercharging isn't intended to be the primary charging method for these cars anyway.  It's harder on the battery than slower home charging and shortens battery life.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Night shift for Model S and X just got cut.

r0tor, can we get your bullish hot take?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Model S and X sales have been falling for some time. The Model 3 cannibalized to some extent, but IMO that explains only a small portion of it. The market of $85k+ vehicles with limited utility is going to saturate quickly; same will happen/has happened with the Model 3.

12,000 RPM

Maybe they have improved the process to where they don't need them? :huh:

Just trying to shoot Tesla some bail here.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on January 23, 2019, 11:58:08 AM
Model S and X sales have been falling for some time.
In the US they were both up by double digit percentages and had their highest annual sales ever......

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2019, 12:00:49 PM
In the US they were both up by double digit percentages and had their highest annual sales ever......

Well he did say "for some time."

The last 2 hours could theoretically be "some time."  :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2019, 12:00:49 PM

Not really for both of them, but true if you combine them into one group. The drop in Model S sales was more than made up for with increased Model X sales. Either way, Cougs is wrong on that particular point.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/tesla/tesla-model-s/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/tesla/tesla-model-x/

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2019, 11:58:17 AM
Maybe they have improved the process to where they don't need them? :huh:

Just trying to shoot Tesla some bail here.

I like Musk (mostly for SpaceX) and Tesla too, but given the choice between a.) Tesla is getting their production line in order or b.) Tesla is experiencing some unforeseen fuckup, I think I'll put my money on "b."
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 23, 2019, 12:34:05 PM
Not really for both of them, but true if you combine them into one group. The drop in Model S sales was more than made up for with increased Model X sales. Either way, Cougs is wrong on that particular point.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/tesla/tesla-model-s/
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/tesla/tesla-model-x/

I don't know which of our datasets is right, but I've been fucked over by GCBC in the past.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/08/tesla-model-s-sales-figures-usa-canada/

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on January 23, 2019, 12:48:16 PM
I like Musk (mostly for SpaceX) and Tesla too, but given the choice between a.) Tesla is getting their production line in order or b.) Tesla is experiencing some unforeseen fuckup, I think I'll put my money on "b."
The orange potato puppet from The Apprentice is president. Anything is possible :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 23, 2019, 11:51:57 AM
Night shift for Model S and X just got cut.

r0tor, can we get your bullish hot take?

I have seen more Teslas in the 2 weeks since I moved to Alexandria, VA (a DC suburb) than I could ever think possible.

So I blame falling sales on the government shutdown.   :huh:  :mrcool:
Will

12,000 RPM

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/tesla-needs-stock-rally-avoid-920-million-cash-payout

Q4 earnings report is gonna be a blockbuster

Sidebar, AN is so good I am seriously considering taking out a subscription. For what they charge though I want print and web

12,000 RPM

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/30/tesla-factory-elon-musk-layoffs-company

QuoteAlan Ochoa worked at Tesla's Fremont plant in California for four years. He was laid off recently along with his entire department in quality control, many of whom were also long-time employees. "I have no idea how they expect to run without us," said Ochoa.

Everybody buckled in?

SJ_GTI

"I have no idea how they expect to run without us"

-Every replaceable employee, ever