Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on March 07, 2019, 12:23:21 PM

I meant the plug itself....

So did I.

The plug itself could be standardized, but without the relevant data from the battery, it would have to go to a "dumb mode," which would by necessity be much slower.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

The solution is of course a standardised plug and an interface module in the vehicle that makes charging decisions.
The closest I've ever gotten to an EV is one time around the block in a Focus electric. Never worked on one at all.

2o6

Anyways, I'm right, and the European (and basically any Tesla that isn't sold in North America) uses the standard Type 2 port. Whereas the US market cars use basically "lightning port" but for cars.

So even if someone wanted to, regular EV cars can't use super chargers because the port isn't the same. Even before all the computer handshakes and coding mumbo jumbo.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on March 07, 2019, 10:23:26 AM

Pretty sure all the Germans and Electrify America are doing 350 kW :huh:

I think "the Germans and Electrify America" are really just VWAG, and while they've installed some of the chargers, none of the 350kW vehicles are available yet.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1120372_electrify-america-turn-on-first-350-kw-fast-charger-in-california

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 07, 2019, 11:58:14 AM
There is a ton of work that goes into battery charging, esp. whereby the pack is being charged remotely (i.e., pumping DC power directly into the battery pack). The port/plug/whatever is like 1% of it:

Voltage range
Current range
Managing heat
Assessing battery health
Equipment safety
People safety
Charge status

That does not constitute a problem however since Tesla also uses ISO 15118 for data communications (except for some of the early ones). The problem is that US Market Teslas use a non standard plug. However Tesla does provide an adapter so that Tesla owners can use CCS Stations such as from electrify America. Currently no adapter exists to allow cars from other makers to use the US superchargers. For europe you can physically plug in an eGolf or anything else with CSS at a Supercharger, and they would be able to negotiate the parameters and charge, but Tesla would block them.

AutobahnSHO

Yup, it's not impossible.

1- low charge is better than none. EV owners are tethered to few stations and even if Tesla only charges them at half the charger capacity that's still better than nothing.
2- Tesla could make bank licensing the plug design and charging customers.
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2019, 06:20:39 PM

2- Tesla could make bank licensing the plug design and charging customers.

Other than being proprietary, I don't think Tesla's plug design has any advantages. If I recall correctly, it's basically a type 2 port but rejiggered.

I feel like it's the difference between Apple's lighting port, versus USB-C.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 07, 2019, 01:12:46 PM
I think "the Germans and Electrify America" are really just VWAG, and while they've installed some of the chargers, none of the 350kW vehicles are available yet.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1120372_electrify-america-turn-on-first-350-kw-fast-charger-in-california

Correct.  Taycan is going to be 350 kW and charging at all Porsche dealerships it sounds like?  I'm pretty excited for the Taycan.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 08, 2019, 01:18:30 AM
Other than being proprietary, I don't think Tesla's plug design has any advantages. If I recall correctly, it's basically a type 2 port but rejiggered.

I believe Tesla fitted their plug with longer contacts/deeper sockets for more surface area to handle the added current.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Teammate ordered a Tesla Model 3 early last week, got it by Friday. RWD, midrange 260mi battery, Autopilot.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on March 08, 2019, 01:18:30 AM

Absolutely- they could totally make it work with other cars. If they wanted to.

And unlike Apple, who only gains brand lock-in, by opening their chargers to others it would open the market more and actually push people to their chargers as a service.
Will

CaminoRacer

I'm curious if Apple switches to usb c next year. Their laptops use it now. The convenience of having the same charger for everything is amazing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 09, 2019, 06:21:00 PM
I'm curious if Apple switches to usb c next year. Their laptops use it now. The convenience of having the same charger for everything is amazing.

YES, everything should be standard!

Imagine having to use different outlets for different things in the house.
(It is a PAIN moving and the dryer hookup is different. I own 2 different types of cords and know how to swap it.....   :rage: )
Will

CaminoRacer

SWERVE

Tesla will raise prices on its cars, reverses plan to close stores.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/18259580/tesla-price-hike-stores-reversal

giant_mtb

What the actual fuck is going on over there.  :wtf:

12,000 RPM

Supposedly they reversed on the move because they wouldn't be able to back out of retail location leases

Whoever holds their cash accounts must be making a killing on overdraft fees :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Fucking amateur hour over there... :facepalm:

MrH

I've finally put my money where my mouth is.  I've got some long dated puts against Tesla now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

I was tempted to check out the Model 3 in the sheetmetal, but the only Tesla store here was among the ones that was shuttered. I know they had a "service centre" nearby, but it's not in the store locator on their website, so it might not be open anymore either. If not, the nearest is in Vancouver... :facepalm:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 93JC on March 11, 2019, 03:13:57 PM
I was tempted to check out the Model 3 in the sheetmetal, but the only Tesla store here was among the ones that was shuttered. I know they had a "service centre" nearby, but it's not in the store locator on their website, so it might not be open anymore either. If not, the nearest is in Vancouver... :facepalm:

Just order one online and return it next week bruh

93JC

I don't understand how anyone could bring themselves to buy brand a new car sight unseen. If I don't get a test drive I ain't buying it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on March 11, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
I don't understand how anyone could bring themselves to buy brand a new car sight unseen. If I don't get a test drive I ain't buying it.

Totally with you! Not just sight unseen, I could see buying a car similar to one I've driven long distance or off the web. But not even having ever sat in that brand??????    Totally unreal.
Will

Laconian

*cough* I bought my RF sight unseen *cough*

r0tor

I ordered my RX8 before any were in the country
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

∴ Mazda buyers don't need test drives.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Apparently so!

BimmerM3

If the return process is as easy as they say it is, I might prefer Tesla's delivery model. A week of driving around doing normal daily stuff is going to be a lot more valuable than a dealership test drive.

2o6

Don't you have to get approved to buy the car, though?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 13, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
Don't you have to get approved to buy the car, though?

Well, you are buying the car, so I would assume so.