Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

NomisR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 29, 2019, 10:52:39 AM
Source?

Obviously computing takes some amount of power, but I wouldn't expect it to be very significant when compared to what's needed to propel a 3500+ lb vehicle.

This isn't the exact article I read but still related

http://energyfuse.org/autonomous-driving-takes-power-will-that-matter-for-electrification/

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on May 29, 2019, 10:30:19 AM
Your seriously saying you would rather trust your life to cloud computing then on board computing?

Did I say I trust it?  Like a lot of functions today, you can have both being done, split off part of the computing function to the "cloud" so to reduce computing usage.  And of course you still need some sort of computing power on board as well.  And i'm talking about fully autonomous driving that manufacturers are testing, not the pretend to be autonomous driving with cruise control + lane keep sensing assist + distance assist thing that  Tesla has. IOW, no steering wheel.

BimmerM3

Quote from: NomisR on May 29, 2019, 11:19:15 AM
This isn't the exact article I read but still related

http://energyfuse.org/autonomous-driving-takes-power-will-that-matter-for-electrification/

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the 5-10% lower-end estimate, but the one-third estimate isn't great. I haven't had time to dive into the details of where those numbers came yet.

That said, by the time that real AV tech becomes available, I'd expect that both battery improvements and computing power improvements will make this a lot less of an issue.

Quote from: NomisR on May 29, 2019, 11:24:43 AM
Did I say I trust it?  Like a lot of functions today, you can have both being done, split off part of the computing function to the "cloud" so to reduce computing usage.  And of course you still need some sort of computing power on board as well.  And i'm talking about fully autonomous driving that manufacturers are testing, not the pretend to be autonomous driving with cruise control + lane keep sensing assist + distance assist thing that  Tesla has. IOW, no steering wheel.

Even with improved speed/latency from 5g, I don't think wireless service will be fast/reliable enough to handle full autonomy. Those vehicles will need to make near instantaneous calculations and decisions. Even if 5G is fast enough in ideal conditions, what happens if you lose signal in a car with no steering wheel?

NomisR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 29, 2019, 11:54:55 AM
Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the 5-10% lower-end estimate, but the one-third estimate isn't great. I haven't had time to dive into the details of where those numbers came yet.

That said, by the time that real AV tech becomes available, I'd expect that both battery improvements and computing power improvements will make this a lot less of an issue.

Even with improved speed/latency from 5g, I don't think wireless service will be fast/reliable enough to handle full autonomy. Those vehicles will need to make near instantaneous calculations and decisions. Even if 5G is fast enough in ideal conditions, what happens if you lose signal in a car with no steering wheel?

Well theoretically, 5G speed and latency should be similar to that of land lines, we'll see if it holds up to the hype of course. You would of course need redundant backups with calculations also capable of being done on the vehicle when connection drops, based on current technology other than the actual 5G, it's not that far of a stretch.  The fully automated technology would likely be hitting luxury vehicles by the end of the next decade with the current autopilot type technology in regular cars at that time. 

r0tor

It's fairly obvious that small computers have 75,000W power supplies
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Google's cloud services went down last night locking people out of their houses and disabling cameras... Can't imagine if your car would suddenly be disabled because a server went down hundreds of miles away
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 29, 2019, 12:24:33 PM
It's fairly obvious that small computers have 75,000W power supplies
:lol:

Autonomous computing will be local and have a negligible impact on vehicle power consumption. If there is one place the computing industry is making huge progress... it's efficiency, thanks to mobile.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

R0tor, can we get some hot takes on the stock price please?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Cloud computing can be "fast" because you can scale out horizontally (as in, you can share workloads across clusters), you can do preprocessing, and you can cache data inside huge, cheap storage pools. A rackmount computer's single core performance will not be substantially faster than what's in a desktop PC, though.

An onboard computer with an OK GPU would be so much better than a cloudy computer interconnected by hundreds of miles of fail-prone networking links.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2019, 03:39:27 PM
Cloud computing can be "fast" because you can scale out horizontally (as in, you can share workloads across clusters), you can do preprocessing, and you can cache data inside huge, cheap storage pools. A rackmount computer's single core performance will not be substantially faster than what's in a desktop PC, though.

An onboard computer with an OK GPU would be so much better than a cloudy computer interconnected by hundreds of miles of fail-prone networking links.

+1.

Though I think Nomis was concerned with power usage more than processing speeds. Offload the heavy lifting to machines that aren't running off of a battery.

Even with on-board backups that can handle all of the processing but will just use more power, it seems like an over-complication to me. I think that by the time we have real, consumer-ready AVs, computer hardware and battery improvements will make that part of the equation pretty trivial.

SJ_GTI

I am curious to see if they can stay in business long enough to get the model to market.

Soup DeVille

We don't even trust critical industrial processes to a single computer, we run shit in parallel processors and on ring networks if losing control creates risk above a certain level.

Autonomous cars are way above that level.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 04:52:34 PM
We don't even trust critical industrial processes to a single computer, we run shit in parallel processors and on ring networks if losing control creates risk above a certain level.

Could still have onboard backups though, right? No need to use the cloud
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 03, 2019, 03:47:43 PM
+1.

Though I think Nomis was concerned with power usage more than processing speeds. Offload the heavy lifting to machines that aren't running off of a battery.

Even with on-board backups that can handle all of the processing but will just use more power, it seems like an over-complication to me. I think that by the time we have real, consumer-ready AVs, computer hardware and battery improvements will make that part of the equation pretty trivial.
I'm feeling like a combo of local and cloud processing could optimize the loads on both sides as well. Let the cloud do the brunt of the machine learning and just make the car focus on applying that data to whatever situations it encounters.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 04:52:34 PM

Like in the Boeing 737 Max

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 04, 2019, 06:26:44 AM
Could still have onboard backups though, right? No need to use the cloud

Absolutely.

Of course, autonomous vehicles should absolutely communicate with each other, possibly on their own dedicated band; but vehicle decisions still need to be made by the onboard CPUs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on June 04, 2019, 07:12:24 AM
Like in the Boeing 737 Max

Well, if the programming is bad, it doesn't matter how redundant your hardware is.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2019, 07:08:37 AM
I'm feeling like a combo of local and cloud processing could optimize the loads on both sides as well. Let the cloud do the brunt of the machine learning and just make the car focus on applying that data to whatever situations it encounters.

I believe in Tesla's case exemption events (like drivers needing to intervene) are reported back to the cloud, analyzed, and then periodic updates are sent back to the fleet.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2019, 07:18:45 AM
Well, if the programming is bad, it doesn't matter how redundant your hardware is.

Not true - it is common practice to build hardware to mitigate or prevent bad programming.

BimmerM3

Oh, that's definitely true. But I think the semi-autonomous systems in the market today already do that. There's no need for the machine learning piece to be in real-time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 04, 2019, 12:48:37 PM
Not true - it is common practice to build hardware to mitigate or prevent bad programming.

Yes, of course. I was talking specifically about CPU redunancy.

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on June 04, 2019, 08:07:56 AM
I believe in Tesla's case exemption events (like drivers needing to intervene) are reported back to the cloud, analyzed, and then periodic updates are sent back to the fleet.

According to Tesla.  I don't believe that's happening at any sort of meaningful volume.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

ha a Tesla S pulled up next to us at a light the other night. When it went green that car was GONE and we were in a 35mph zone and a block later they were turning left. But my wife was shocked how quick they took off.

That would be fun!!!
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2019, 04:55:05 AM
ha a Tesla S pulled up next to us at a light the other night. When it went green that car was GONE and we were in a 35mph zone and a block later they were turning left. But my wife was shocked how quick they took off.

That would be fun!!!

I've been next to a Tesla a few times at stoplights and always avoid racing them. Don't want to be embarrassed :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

It feels bad when you're rowing through the gears and your engine is making a lot of noise... then the yuppie in the Model S looks up from their phone, realizes there's room to accelerate, and their car just zaps forward silently annihilates you with hushed tire roar.

Xer0

Tesla's are very annoying when you're biking into work.  Give me V8 Stangs/Camaros any day cause you can hear those suckers a mile away but Tesla's just show up with no warning.  Priuses are similar but they are so slow it doesn't mater, I've literally out accelerated a few  :lol:

NomisR

This is probably the most likely case along with inter-car communications that would be done for additional efficiency in decision making done with a network. 

Galaxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJ7lPdazyw

Yikes!

Basically a fender bender on a Model 3 takes 3 Month, and $10,000 to fix.

When they start talking about Tesla in general skip to 10:34 to get back to the repairs.

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on June 05, 2019, 02:34:48 PM
This is probably the most likely case along with inter-car communications that would be done for additional efficiency in decision making done with a network. 

I think a mesh network would make a lot of sense. General purpose cellular data is easily overtaxed in areas facing high congestion. A mesh network, built for relaying automotive data, isn't going to be overloaded by adjacent bus riders streaming Netflix on their phones.