Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

GoCougs

And government in charge of it all. No, thanks, and not only because it wouldn't work.

Driving is a responsibility and a privilege and the cornerstone of US success - as an ersatz right it's going to go poorly.

Morris Minor

Musk Lanes would be like the Clear security lines at the airports: pay to play.  :devil:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Any other company would have been sued into the ground by now over wrecks and other shenanigans.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 25, 2020, 05:17:33 PM
https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/6AA12BB8-5803-11EA-BF64-5AC3A6D77C0D

Love it... 1 Tesla driver dies while playing a video game while driving and it is a huge news story.

Meanwhile 4,637 people died in the US in 2018 from playing with their phone while driving regular old cars... Not a news story though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 07:13:21 AM
Love it... 1 Tesla driver dies while playing a video game while driving and it is a huge news story.

Meanwhile 4,637 people died in the US in 2018 from playing with their phone while driving regular old cars... Not a news story though
I know - trash media at work. I suppose we should be glad he was removed from the gene pool.

NomisR

You were panning what GM was doing with Supercruise and praising Telsa for not requiring it, and when someone dies, you're saying it's not that big of a deal because people die all the time? 

Things like this happening is what people's problem with Tesla lies, the fact that they use deceiving naming such as autopilot or biohazard mode, making people believe that it could do what it couldn't actually do. 

giant_mtb

You miss the point. The Tesla is supposedly supposed to prevent these types of accidents/deaths. Regular old cars aren't.

And Teslas account for probably like .003% of vehicles on the road in the US.

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on February 26, 2020, 09:26:55 AM
You were panning what GM was doing with Supercruise and praising Telsa for not requiring it, and when someone dies, you're saying it's not that big of a deal because people die all the time? 

Things like this happening is what people's problem with Tesla lies, the fact that they use deceiving naming such as autopilot or biohazard mode, making people believe that it could do what it couldn't actually do. 
Autopilots in planes do not make them autonomous. They require monitoring, adjusting etc. If you want to change say the heading, or the speed, or the altitude, you have to dial in the settings, then execute. The human pilot, the Pilot Flying, is still flying the plane.

So Tesla's system is not too far off from being analogous to what goes on on a plane. In hindsight maybe they could have called it PilotAssist or TeslAssist or something. But to me it's not a big deal.
Dumbfucks would still reliably do the wrong thing.

MrH

From Ed Niedermeyer on twitter:

QuoteThe NTSB findings and recommendations on the fatal Walter Huang crash are now available (PDF here: ntsb.gov/news/events/Do...). Here are a few of what I believe are the most consequential:
Finding 11: "The Tesla Autopilot system did not provide an effective means of monitoring the driver's
level of engagement with the driving task."
Finding 15: Because monitoring of driver-applied steering wheel torque is an ineffective surrogate measure of driver engagement, performance standards should be developed pertaining to an effective method of ensuring driver engagement in SAE L2 partial driving automation systems
Finding 16: If Tesla Inc. does not incorporate system safeguards that limit the use of the Autopilot system to those conditions for which it was designed, continued use of the system beyond its operational design domain is foreseeable and the risk for future crashes will remain.
Finding 17: NHTSA's failure to ensure that vehicle manufacturers of SAE Level 2 driving automation systems are incorporating appropriate system safeguards to limit operation of these systems to the operational design domain compromises safety.
Finding 19: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's approach to the oversight of automated vehicles is misguided, because it essentially relies on waiting for problems to occur rather than addressing safety issues proactively.
Combining Findings 20 and 21 here, since they are both related and too long to fit into single tweets. I can't recall NTSB ever challenging NHTSA as directly as they did in today's hearing and in these findings.

These are NTSB's Recommendations to NTSB in the wake of this investigation, as well as past investigations into the safety of Tesla's Autopilot system. Recommendations 2 and 4 strike me as being the most consequential.

Here are the two recommendations that NTSB already made to NHTSA, and are now reiterating. Both were already classified "Open-Unacceptable Action," reflecting NTSB's dissatisfaction with NHTSA's response (or lack thereof).

Finally, the big one: two previously-made NTSB recommendations to Tesla itself that the board has now reiterated and reclassified as "Open―Unacceptable Response."

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on February 26, 2020, 09:26:55 AM

Are we going to install the same system on conventional vehicles to prevent them from looking away from the road?

What is wrong with a system that is 6x safer thAn the US average driver? What because it's not perfect - which is of course never achievable?

https://electrek.co/2020/01/16/tesla-crashes-autopilot-increase-better-without-autopilot/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

It's not 6 times safer.  Stop repeating that.  It's total BS.  There is zero reliable data backing this up.

Autopilot is primarily used on high ways only, and when compared to any other modern car on the highway (especially those with any sort of well sorted Level 2 system), the crash rates are higher, and the death rate with the crashes is significantly higher.  To just take crash rate per mile with auto pilot on vs auto pilot off is intentionally misleading and intellectually dishonest.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 26, 2020, 09:58:10 AM
Autopilots in planes do not make them autonomous. They require monitoring, adjusting etc. If you want to change say the heading, or the speed, or the altitude, you have to dial in the settings, then execute. The human pilot, the Pilot Flying, is still flying the plane.

So Tesla's system is not too far off from being analogous to what goes on on a plane. In hindsight maybe they could have called it PilotAssist or TeslAssist or something. But to me it's not a big deal.

That's definitely true but I don't think that's how the layman understands it, and from the way Tesla describes it, it's definitely misleading. 

Just the basic version of accelerate, steer, brake automatically?  They're marketing autopilot like a L4 autonomous driving but in reality it's at L2 and if you're generous, and L3.

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 10:24:50 AM
Are we going to install the same system on conventional vehicles to prevent them from looking away from the road?

It's the way it's marketed.  It's basically a more improved version of a cruise control that keeps it's distance, lane keep assist, and assistive braking, but not what they advertise it as with the standard autopilot.

giant_mtb

If you want to see how good a Tesla actually is at fully autonomous driving, just look at the Summon feature. lol

https://youtu.be/OdPE2WRSTw0

https://youtu.be/3o2sI37xwOc

https://youtu.be/VbVoTK-lM00

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 26, 2020, 09:58:10 AM

Autopilot is one thing, "Full Self Driving" is another.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 26, 2020, 11:07:26 AM
If you want to see how good a Tesla actually is at fully autonomous driving, just look at the Summon feature. lol

https://youtu.be/OdPE2WRSTw0

https://youtu.be/3o2sI37xwOc

https://youtu.be/VbVoTK-lM00

And the million + successful smart summons?

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 12:55:52 PM
And the million + successful smart summons?

Source, please?  And no, I wouldn't count the car creeping 4' out of a space so you can get in the door easier as a successful SS since the product is supposed to be able to navigate a lot and pick you up at the door.

https://www.consumerreports.org/automotive-technology/teslas-smart-summon-performance-doesnt-match-marketing-hype/

QuoteConsumer Reports tested Tesla's recently launched Smart Summon feature on our Model 3, and we found that the automation was glitchy and at times worked intermittently, without a lot of obvious benefits for consumers.

😬😬😬

MX793

Those other people weren't driving cars with half-baked "autonomous driving features" pitched as "autopilot" that outright encourages playing video games, reading, taking a nap, etc...

If you don't want to pay attention to the road and drive, call a cab or take a bus or train.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Smart summons is awful. It's pretty much a party joke (at least to me) whenever I'm in a Tesla. Parking lots are even worse with variability. IME it's 50% reliable; or, about as good as "Autopilot" actually autonomously driving:

Can't read stop lines on pavement.
Can't read one-way arrows on pavement.
Can't discern right-of-way if bushes are at the corners of intersections.
If a car is backing out, or has backed out, the Tesla gets right up on its bumper before stopping, which prevents the other driver from fully backing out.

I will say though, it's better than I would have thought, and I've not seen any actual accidents, but it's a colossally bad idea and shows how out of touch both Tesla and its fans are.

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2020, 03:39:25 PM
Those other people weren't driving cars with half-baked "autonomous driving features" pitched as "autopilot" that outright encourages playing video games, reading, taking a nap, etc...

If you don't want to pay attention to the road and drive, call a cab or take a bus or train.

A person can choose to respect the dangers of the road and pay fucking attention while driving a Focus or a Model 3 with or without any safety or autonomous features turned on.  It's on the driver.  Everyday for centuries assholes are drinking and driving, read books, watching movies, doing their makeup and messing with their phones .  Until Tesla came along, we never criticized automakers for not doing enough to prohibit drivers from doing everything but driving while behind the wheel.  We simply called these drivers assholes.  For every asshole sleeping in a Tesla there is an asshole that hacked his infotainment to watch YouTube while driving.

This notion of "oh its crap because it's not perfect" is nonsense. The simple question should be is it at least as good as the average to above average driver - if the answer is yes (and all stats point that way) thEn it's a net positive on the road and should be considered a success rather then failure.  There is literally nothing in this planet that would stand up to a "it shouldn't be sold if its not perfect" litmus test.

Soup DeVille

So, who said "its crap because its not perfect?" Or is that just a strawman you're using to get upset about?

(but no, they haven't been messing with their phones while driving for centuries)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 26, 2020, 06:47:52 PM

(but no, they haven't been messing with their phones while driving for centuries)

Talk about a strawman...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 06:59:21 PM
Talk about a strawman...

"Everyday for centuries assholes are drinking and driving, read books, watching movies, doing their makeup and messing with their phones . "

Your direct quote.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 06:31:13 PM
A person can choose to respect the dangers of the road and pay fucking attention while driving a Focus or a Model 3 with or without any safety or autonomous features turned on.  It's on the driver.  Everyday for centuries assholes are drinking and driving, read books, watching movies, doing their makeup and messing with their phones .  Until Tesla came along, we never criticized automakers for not doing enough to prohibit drivers from doing everything but driving while behind the wheel.  We simply called these drivers assholes.  For every asshole sleeping in a Tesla there is an asshole that hacked his infotainment to watch YouTube while driving.

This notion of "oh its crap because it's not perfect" is nonsense. The simple question should be is it at least as good as the average to above average driver - if the answer is yes (and all stats point that way) thEn it's a net positive on the road and should be considered a success rather then failure.  There is literally nothing in this planet that would stand up to a "it shouldn't be sold if its not perfect" litmus test.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 26, 2020, 07:00:20 PM
"Everyday for centuries assholes are drinking and driving, read books, watching movies, doing their makeup and messing with their phones . "

Your direct quote.

Yea, I can't compete on that level of dickhead

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 07:18:57 PM

Oh, sure you can. Those were, after all, your own words.

They were wrong. I mean, they're not the only things you've said that were wrong, but they were some of the more amusingly wrong words you've said.

A strawman, by the way, is when one makes arguments against statements that were never said, or positions that were never stated. You seem confused about that.

A dickhead, to continue, is one that gets pissed and resorts to insult when they have their own words read back to them. There may be some confusion on your part there as well.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 07:18:57 PM

Oh, I hope you don't mind me using this as my new sig line

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 26, 2020, 07:00:20 PM

Your direct quote.

Alexander Hamilton was notorious for texting while weaving through LA rush hour traffic on the 405.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2020, 06:31:13 PM

How many attentive, unimpaired drivers have smashed into the back of parked emergency vehicles that have their lights on while traveling at highway speeds?  How many have plowed fatally into guardrails?

Safety net systems are great.  Even if they aren't 100% perfect in every situation. 

Systems misleadingly marketed as "Autopilot" that encourage people to tune out aren't helpful.
Needs more Jiggawatts

veeman

One of these days a Tesla is going to kill a child in a parking lot because it was "summoned" by the owner and Tesla smart summon is going to be disabled. 

I watched my brother in law smart summon his Tesla in a poorly lit shopping plaza parking lot in the night.  It took a long time but the Tesla did make it to us.  I told him that this was real cool, like Knight Rider cool, but you're a dumbass if you think this is a good idea when people are walking in the parking lot near your car.  He said he's always watching the car when he summons it.  I said you're still a dumbass if you think it's safe to do it when people are even somewhat near your car.