Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Laconian

https://mobile.twitter.com/wk057/status/1551713024171548672

Tesla giveth kWH by OTA, and by OTA Tesla taketh away.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Used Teslas seem like huge liabilities
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 26, 2022, 02:27:18 PM
Used Teslas seem like huge liabilities

WRONG. Used Concours 14s seem like huge liabilities.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on July 26, 2022, 02:06:10 PM

That's the future of The Great Internet of Things. So cool!

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

They just fixed the glitch
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

They're doing okay though.
GM Q2 net income: $1.7BN.
Tesla Q2 net income: $2.3BN (selling around 11% the number of vehicles GM does.)

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on July 26, 2022, 02:06:10 PM

They have evidently regifted.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-returns-used-model-s-range-ransom-story-backlash/

BTW it looks like Texas-built 3s with the new-style battery cells are software-restricted to a range a lot lower than they're capable of giving. Probably to avoid Osborne-effect lost sales of those with the original cells. Or it's just dastardliness,

Morris Minor

They've stopped taking orders for the Model 3 Long Range "Available 2023"

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 29, 2022, 09:33:07 AM
They have evidently regifted.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-returns-used-model-s-range-ransom-story-backlash/

BTW it looks like Texas-built 3s with the new-style battery cells are software-restricted to a range a lot lower than they're capable of giving. Probably to avoid Osborne-effect lost sales of those with the original cells. Or it's just dastardliness,

The Tesla ownership experience seems too "dynamic" for my liking. I would like to keep what I paid for, even if that rules out OTA bonuses in the future.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2022, 03:31:11 PM
The Tesla ownership experience seems too "dynamic" for my liking. I would like to keep what I paid for, even if that rules out OTA bonuses in the future.

They've established they'll do whatever they want whenever they want- unless social media noise gets too loud they "might" back off.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2022, 03:31:11 PM

I see this trend as the general future as everything switches to EVs that are always connected.  However, the big players will doubtfully be as brazen with their tactics.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 21, 2022, 07:38:11 AM
I see this trend as the general future as everything switches to EVs that are always connected.  However, the big players will doubtfully be as brazen with their tactics.
Biden's too stupid to know it but he has set this up nicely with the Inflation Act: MSRP limits on what qualifies for credits, so manufacturers make up difference charging rent for software functionality.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2022, 02:45:14 PM
Biden's too stupid to know it but he has set this up nicely with the Inflation Act: MSRP limits on what qualifies for credits, so manufacturers make up difference charging rent for software functionality.

I don't think the high end manufacturers and customers care as much about the credits though. The demand is there either way.

And BMW is pursuing subscriptions before all of this anyway. I think subscriptions are less shady than some of the used Tesla drama I've seen, though. (FSD paid for and then taken away, replacement battery software limits added later, etc)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2022, 02:45:14 PM

Regardless, there's nothing like a Tesla in the $30-35k range. All the good EVs are still only for the rich right now. People spending $60k+ on an EV would buy it either way. It has nothing to do with the everyman.

Laconian

BOLT

(Also, doesn't the "everyman" drop 60k on jacked up trucks?)

r0tor

Yea... The average vehicle cost is approaching $50k now
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

True enough, and I think like 1/4 people lease instead of buy, which makes it "easier" to have a more expensive vehicle. But still.

Laconian

https://bocanewsnow.com/2022/09/01/crash-car-fire-in-lotus-requires-rescue-response/

The most interesting part is at the end:
UPDATE 10:06 a.m: We received a threatening "take down" text concerning this story from a lawyer who self-identified as Aaron Krolik. His website says that he is "the leading Chicago and Cook County Tenant Landlord Lawyer" who can help you "break your lease for any reason." We don't understand his connection to Tesla, but — despite the photos provided by witnesses and information provided by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, he told us to take down our story "within two hours" or he will "shut (us) down." We're not taking down the story. Here's what he wrote: "I will make sure you are shut down. You don't need to worry I'm a lawyer. Just take down that story Teslas don't suddenly explode." For the record, no one ever said that Teslas suddenly explode. We reported that this one exploded when it slammed into a parked Infiniti. There are photos. There is information from authorities. And we suspect there are two very unhappy car owners this morning. Mr. Krolik owns a condo in Boynton Beach, according to Palm Beach County. There is no indication that he is involved in this incident.

Was the guy hired by Tesla, or was he a "weird internet nerd" jumping in front of the bullet?

giant_mtb

"Our car may have crashed itself and potentially killed people, please take your story down."

Yeah, lawyers don't (can't) do that for people that are clearly at fault, but "autopilot" cars get some sort of pass, because Elon Musk is a god.

Morris Minor

Going vertical.

Tesla has filed to build a lithium hydroxide refining facility in Texas (Gulf Coast).

Tesla (TSLA) is eyeing the prospect of building a lithium processing facility in Texas, as the company looks to take more control over key manufacturing components amid rising prices. Tesla stock was up on the news.

In documents submitted to the Texas Comptroller's Office, Elon Musk's electric vehicle giant is evaluating the facility — which would refine lithium hydroxide — on the Gulf Coast of Texas. Reuters first reported on the filing of the documents.

More...
https://www.investors.com/news/tesla-stock-company-considers-texas-lithium-refinery-as-china-controls-global-capacity/

Laconian

GoCougs

Of course it is, and even then it will only "Waymo" work ("autonomous" being a code word for mapped, which means it will only ever work in extremely localized fashion (that's been mapped via oodles of hours/miles)).

How is it that engineers let themselves be forced to do shit work, esp. by non-engineers, is cringe.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on September 13, 2022, 11:26:13 PM
How is it that engineers let themselves be forced to do shit work, esp. by non-engineers, is cringe.

:lol: 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 13, 2022, 11:26:13 PM
Of course it is, and even then it will only "Waymo" work ("autonomous" being a code word for mapped, which means it will only ever work in extremely localized fashion (that's been mapped via oodles of hours/miles)).

Tesla does not work off of mapping
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

I want radar but it has to have a legit radar display. Green circle with the sweeping line, and lots of fun beeps and pings

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 14, 2022, 12:39:08 PM
I want radar but it has to have a legit radar display. Green circle with the sweeping line, and lots of fun beeps and pings

But, what if you get... jammed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hYL14Ew54I
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

I do like raspberry

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on September 14, 2022, 09:25:58 AM
Tesla does not work off of mapping

Correct, and that's why Tesla AutoPilot doesn't work, and will never work, as an autonomous driving suite (same as any other "autonomous" driving suite).

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 14, 2022, 12:39:08 PM

Get a boat. You don't have phosphoresnce but you get the radial plots