Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 14, 2022, 02:41:27 PM
Correct, and that's why Tesla AutoPilot doesn't work, and will never work, as an autonomous driving suite (same as any other "autonomous" driving suite).
Do you need a map when you drive on a road sight unseen?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 15, 2022, 07:14:14 AM
Do you need a map when you drive on a road sight unseen?

No, but then again, despite being AT BEST an average individual, and perhaps even below average, I have more sensory interpretation/interpolation/personification power than all of human history's computer processing power combined.

The only way legit autonomous driving works is by decreasing the need for said sensory processing - from homogenizing travel way design to extreme control over the right of way (i.e., esp. preventing non-vehicles (bikes, people, etc.) from getting in the way) to centralized traffic control. This is the only way trains and planes work en mass, and the same it will be with autonomous driving.

giant_mtb

We all know how amazing public transportation is. Can't wait for that to be required/the norm when the Autonomous EV World Takeover is complete. That's basically the end goal...it just turns into "individual" public transportation.

r0tor

The end goal is the movie WALL-E where humans just float around with screens (advertising) in front of their face
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on September 15, 2022, 11:21:34 AM
The end goal is the movie WALL-E where humans just float around with screens (advertising) in front of their face

Wall-E and Idiocracy combined.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2022, 10:07:29 AM
No, but then again, despite being AT BEST an average individual, and perhaps even below average, I have more sensory interpretation/interpolation/personification power than all of human history's computer processing power combined.

The only way legit autonomous driving works is by decreasing the need for said sensory processing - from homogenizing travel way design to extreme control over the right of way (i.e., esp. preventing non-vehicles (bikes, people, etc.) from getting in the way) to centralized traffic control. This is the only way trains and planes work en mass, and the same it will be with autonomous driving.
From what I can see, the most recent beta of FSD is at the level of a much-improved but hesitant learner driver. Fine 95% of the time but still 5% OMG WTF.
The juiced-up autopilot is best of breed & I'd pay for it - just like I'd pay for the tech package on an ICE car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 11:26:55 AM

Both of these films are historical documents sent from the future.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 10:11:18 AM
We all know how amazing public transportation is. Can't wait for that to be required/the norm when the Autonomous EV World Takeover is complete. That's basically the end goal...it just turns into "individual" public transportation.

Beyond the infrastructure and government control needed, it could be killed simply because I'm not convinced that WtP want it. Sure, it could be a cool parlor trick, but if one is to take on the burden of buying and maintaining a personal vehicle, why not take on the burden of properly using it? Why subordinate the major (most) to fancy of a few?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 11:26:55 AM

Wall-E is incredibly dark with the merest veneer of DisneyCute smeared on top. You gotta watch the end credits to understand.

Humanity ends up being slaves for the robots.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2022, 05:53:47 PM
Wall-E is incredibly dark with the merest veneer of DisneyCute smeared on top. You gotta watch the end credits to understand.

Humanity ends up being slaves for the robots.

I need to give it another viewing. Only seen it once years ago.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2022, 02:15:43 PM
Beyond the infrastructure and government control needed, it could be killed simply because I'm not convinced that WtP want it. Sure, it could be a cool parlor trick, but if one is to take on the burden of buying and maintaining a personal vehicle, why not take on the burden of properly using it? Why subordinate the major (most) to fancy of a few?

A ton of people just want to get somewhere WHEN they want it. They don't want to have to share a vehicle with other people (automated taxis). They would rather have complete control over when and where they go- but not have to do the driving.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 15, 2022, 06:50:34 PM
A ton of people just want to get somewhere WHEN they want it. They don't want to have to share a vehicle with other people (automated taxis). They would rather have complete control over when and where they go- but not have to do the driving.

Such ideal things only make sense in very urban places (NYC, etc) where people generally don't want or need to own a vehicle to begin with so they stick to taxis/Uber anyways.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 06:57:13 PM
Such ideal things only make sense in very urban places (NYC, etc) where people generally don't want or need to own a vehicle to begin with so they stick to taxis/Uber anyways.

Most people who ride the bus or train would gladly do a rideshare if they could afford it every trip. The Uberers would love to have a car if it wasn't so much expense and burden. Some have cars to drive out of the city. of course some have personal drivers...

The "private driver" concept would spread much more if they didn't have to pay someone to drive. Computer driving cars are in all the sci-fi because it just makes sense.

But just like my dad told me in 1982 that my hybrid car idea wouldn't work because the regeneration technology wasn't efficient enough, we will get there with self-driving someday........
Will

Morris Minor

Written English is obviously not this guy's strong point but a fairly decent explanation of the idea of occupancy networks.
https://www.thinkautonomous.ai/blog/occupancy-networks/

Laconian

Classifiers based on spatial data? Doesn't that suffer from GIGO at the horizon? The author even says that distant objects only have two or three pixels of resolution.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on September 16, 2022, 11:30:22 AM
Classifiers based on spatial data? Doesn't that suffer from GIGO at the horizon? The author even says that distant objects only have two or three pixels of resolution.

Seems to me to be dependent how close the horizon is IRL; i.e., if the object is far enough away IRL low resolution doesn't matter.

Overall I get what they're doing - classifying really, instead of processing, which focuses on things that matter (big objects, esp. moving) but not on the things that don't.

Overall the system is still infinitely limited WRT to human wetware.

Laconian

The Tesla doesn't seem to do well when lanes aren't well marked.
7 disengagements in 20 miles.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 06:57:13 PM

Driving culture in the USA is about autonomy and choice. WRT urban travel, "autonomous" driving was solved ~120 years ago. Plus, the epic PR train wreck WRT "Autopilot" doesn't help, either.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on September 17, 2022, 06:36:41 PM
The Tesla doesn't seem to do well when lanes aren't well marked.
7 disengagements in 20 miles.
Which beta is that? e.g. I'd heard the latest does really well with unprotected lefts. They even named the issue after the guy who was complaining the builds could never handle the one in his neighborhood.

Morris Minor

Overview from the head of their autopilot team on occupancy networks.
https://twitter.com/aelluswamy/status/1561151333054365696

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 18, 2022, 04:54:38 AM
Which beta is that? e.g. I'd heard the latest does really well with unprotected lefts. They even named the issue after the guy who was complaining the builds could never handle the one in his neighborhood.

Does it matter?  7 disengagements in 20 miles is light years away from the competition.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Another unprotected left. As an experienced driver I would not even attempt this except in super light traffic. My MO when it's this dangerous is to turn right. Get into the suicide lane, make a left somewhere and then take a right from there... to finally head in the actual direction I want to go.

https://youtu.be/iheSI0UpQg8

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on September 18, 2022, 10:46:28 AM
Does it matter?  7 disengagements in 20 miles is light years away from the competition.

Waymo reports 1 per 7200 miles. LOL

I don't understand why we ought to withold judgment on a "beta" product if it's already in the wild and endangering the public. It's reckless. Remember the shit Toyota went through when a few dozen Priuses experienced unwanted acceleration? Why is Tesla let off the hook, then?

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2022, 01:46:17 PM
Waymo reports 1 per 7200 miles. LOL

I don't understand why we ought to withold judgment on a "beta" product if it's already in the wild and endangering the public. It's reckless. Remember the shit Toyota went through when a few dozen Priuses experienced unwanted acceleration? Why is Tesla let off the hook, then?

Waymo is "mapped" pseudo autonomous driving though, not legit autonomous driving (and IME/O, the only way it will ever get close to working.)

Tesla's off the hook (not only WRT Autopilot, but anything from business/accounting shins to the dubious environmental advantage of EVs to grossly missed price and delivery targets) because WtP are beyond desperate for a Hero story and his next Next Big Thing. There's usually one a decade or so, and 2010s were more than bereft after Big Tech burned out.

AutobahnSHO

The best would be mapping + "autonomous" (cameras & radar) + comms between vehicles. If each of them tell the others what they are doing, they would all be able to mesh & sync better.
Will

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on September 18, 2022, 02:32:57 PM
Waymo is "mapped" pseudo autonomous driving though, not legit autonomous driving (and IME/O, the only way it will ever get close to working.)

Tesla's off the hook (not only WRT Autopilot, but anything from business/accounting shins to the dubious environmental advantage of EVs to grossly missed price and delivery targets) because WtP are beyond desperate for a Hero story and his next Next Big Thing. There's usually one a decade or so, and 2010s were more than bereft after Big Tech burned out.

Why is "mapped" pseudo autonomous driving, but plowing into things every few miles like Tesla isn't?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  The cars driving without drivers isn't autonomous, but the car that promises to one day work and disengages every mile or two is autonomous?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on September 19, 2022, 06:51:20 AM
Why is "mapped" pseudo autonomous driving, but plowing into things every few miles like Tesla isn't?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  The cars driving without drivers isn't autonomous, but the car that promises to one day work and disengages every mile or two is autonomous?

Because Waymo knows its driving suite isn't legit autonomous and Tesla pretends Autopilot is.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 19, 2022, 09:17:23 AM
Because Waymo knows its driving suite isn't legit autonomous and Tesla pretends Autopilot is.
Tesla has never claimed Autopilot to be autonomous. It's ADAS, pretty good ADAS but still ADAS.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 19, 2022, 06:51:20 AM
I can drive autonomously without a map and I'm sure everyone else here can too. Maps are nice to have but no way should they ever be a prerequisite for anyone's or anything's autonomy.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 19, 2022, 10:49:22 AM
Tesla has never claimed Autopilot to be autonomous. It's ADAS, pretty good ADAS but still ADAS.

Well, except for the fraudulent video.  Except for all the parts where they do say it's autonomous, they've never claimed it to be autonomous :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited