Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Payman

One of the few times the 'Spin is united on something.  :tounge:

Raza

Touchscreen control for two-speed windshield wipers! So much wrong with that, I can't unpack it right now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
The '75 Eldo had four speeds, plus intermittent. The only two speed wipers I can think of were on the old R-Model Mack ('82 but the design dates to the late '50s).

My Nissan and Mazda only had 3 speeds, IIRC.  The VW is somewhere between 6 and 8.  Mustang has like 8-10.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on September 26, 2017, 05:04:20 AM
One of the few times the 'Spin is united on something.  :tounge:
No, r0tor is still fighting the good fight. Why on Google Earth would anyone want a wiper stalk when they could go through several pages of menus? It's a no brainer.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 26, 2017, 07:29:17 AM
No, r0tor is still fighting the good fight. Why on Google Earth would anyone want a wiper stalk when they could go through several pages of menus? It's a no brainer.

One button and zero page navigations.  :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Judging from the reactions in here, I thought that video was going to show some poor shmuck driving their Model 3 into a tree during a rainstorm.

Instead all it really shows is a Tesla salesman being about as clueless as every other dealer. Meh.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 05:42:45 AM
Judging from the reactions in here, I thought that video was going to show some poor shmuck driving their Model 3 into a tree during a rainstorm.

Instead all it really shows is a Tesla salesman being about as clueless as every other dealer. Meh.

Fair enough; except we're talking about a Tesla dealer, and Tesla makes three damned cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Some of y'all thrive on being contrarian af; it's a shit setup, hands down.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 08:14:36 AM
Some of y'all thrive on being contrarian af; it's a shit setup, hands down.

My only wish is that it were phone linked. So while I'm texting instead of driving, the car can give me an alert on my phone to go into the app and turn on the wipers.

Seriously, my car had rain sensing wipers in 2002. Ultra high tech Tesla only has two speed wipers 15 years later?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Why do you need more than 2 speeds??????????

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2017, 08:44:18 AM
Why do you need more than 2 speeds??????????

Sometimes the rain isn't slow, but it isn't fast, either. It's why medium sized shirts exist.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

Why put controls on a steering wheel on a car thats designed to not have to have your hands on the steering wheel?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 09:44:30 AM
Why put controls on a steering wheel on a car thats designed to not have to have your hands on the steering wheel?

Why have a steering wheel at all?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Rotor why are you defending a non-enthusiast company that wants to destroy cars as we know it?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Not to mention base model cars don't have autonomous features

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 09:44:30 AM
Why put a steering wheel in such a car at all?

2o6

Why give it the proportions it has at all? If it's autonomous, it really should be a one box shape with a totally more unconventional interior.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 27, 2017, 10:09:42 AM
Rotor why are you defending a non-enthusiast company that wants to destroy cars as we know it?

I can look past my own wants and see something for what it is.

The 3 is turning moderately priced electric cars upside-down.  It's the first not to look like a complete econobox.  First to be stylish.  Will be the first to be impressive handling and accelerating.  It's also going to be pushing autonomous driving to the next level - which makes sense that things like interior design should also be changed.

It's something new and different.  It's going to get good and bad attention for it.  At least it's not another failed attempt and putting an electric drivetrain in an economy car, doubling the price of the car, and calling it revolutionary.

Personally, I like driving and I completely abhor infotainment systems.  The 3 isn't the car of my dreams.

For the people who are going to purchase it and let it drive them back and forth to work while they watch YouTube or failbook - the center screen makes all kinds of sense to house everything as that's where the "driver" is going to be paying attention to the most.

2o6

NO THE FUCK IT DOESN'T

All caps rage aside, there are several issues with this screen.

If it ever freezes or has any latency at all, it's going to be a serious hazard for the driver. The motion and interaction to use a touch screen versus tactile controls for stuff like wipers and speed is already 10X longer than a traditional setup. It's dangerous. If any other automaker tried this, they'd be sued to the moon. The amount of effort it takes to use this and take your eyes off the road is very dangerous. Not to mention, it doesn't look to be the most robust of setups (Tesla has issues with the big screens in the S and X; and just about every car ever has had issues with infotainment setups freezing). Hell, my iPhone is fairly reliable, but still sometimes freezes and has to restart. In a $500 phone, it's an inconvenience. With a car that's moving 60MPH, that's potentially dangerous. And since there's no redundancies anywhere....it spells disaster and danger for the operator.

Navigating thru menus to turn the WIPERS on is dangerous. It's not just stupid, it's dangerous. It also shows that Tesla has no one on their team that has worked in UX or Industrial Design. That concept would get torn apart in any design 101 critique.

In fact, Tesla already has lawsuits pending for features like the falcon doors and automatic doors and handles. Scale that up to many more units, and the (IMO rightfully so) litigious clientele.....I can only predict a matter of time before someone sues the shit out of Tesla.

It's not good.

2o6

I can picture it now - base model customer who doesn't have the autonomous features (which aren't foolproof) gets frustrated and unintentionally stares at the screen whilst trying to figure out wipers, heat/AC, radio, or speed. Screen has latency, or maybe the client has a hard time getting familiar to the setup.

They plow into a pedestrian. Or run a stop light. Or into the back of a truck.

They hurt themselves or someone else.

Who's responsible here? Most of y'all would say "well it's the dumbass driver hyuck hyuck hyuck they should pay attention to the road"

But when the interface is designed in such a way where it demands an inordinate amount of your attention, the onus may start to shift onto Tesla.

2o6

It shows a severe lack of thought. It's frustrating. Good design incorporates a lot of input and perspective.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 10:26:59 AM
Why give it the proportions it has at all? If it's autonomous, it really should be a one box shape with a totally more unconventional interior.

Aerodynamics?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 11:13:52 AM
I can picture it now - base model customer who doesn't have the autonomous features (which aren't foolproof) gets frustrated and unintentionally stares at the screen whilst trying to figure out wipers, heat/AC, radio, or speed. Screen has latency, or maybe the client has a hard time getting familiar to the setup.

They plow into a pedestrian. Or run a stop light. Or into the back of a truck.

They hurt themselves or someone else.

Who's responsible here? Most of y'all would say "well it's the dumbass driver hyuck hyuck hyuck they should pay attention to the road"

But when the interface is designed in such a way where it demands an inordinate amount of your attention, the onus may start to shift onto Tesla.

Fear not, every 3 has collision avoidance and emergency braking functions

...Such rage over a car you will never own...

Raza

Computer braking systems never fail!

Except for every single one ever.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

Probably better than the average bimbo text messaging while driving

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2017, 12:00:52 PM
Computer braking systems never fail!

Except for every single one ever.
Every car you have owned has or had a computer braking system. How many have failed?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2017, 12:09:30 PM
Every car you have owned has or had a computer braking system. How many have failed?

No, his cars; and all cars basically have a mechanical hydraulic system. If ABS or stability control fails (and I've had it happen on several for various reasons), then you still have the underlying mechanical systems.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2017, 12:09:30 PM

All of mine have failed to activate for some reason or another, at one point in time. There have been times where the conditions needed for them to operated did not exist correctly (or the computer thought they didn't) and thus these systems didn't turn on.

Does that mean they're broken? Not always.

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 11:58:18 AM
Fear not, every 3 has collision avoidance and emergency braking functions

...Such rage over a car you will never own...

What if they fail to turn on for some reason? We've already had one death directly due to autopilot's inability to determine the daylight sky to the side of a tractor trailer. There have been other videos of autopilot being unclear on lane markings and drifting into another lane.

It's bad design.