Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2023, 05:05:21 PMNeither do I. It looks like a metal shop project.

I make better looking metal shop projects. You should see the plumb bob that I made from solid steel and copper-nickel, but I can't take a picture or I'll get fired. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

The tires should be square to complement the body shape.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

That looks fuckin' retarded. :wtf:

veeman

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/eEoVLVbbzOg

I like it (the styling).  Wonder how bad the NVH will be though. It's very good the dimensions are 5% smaller than the original prototype and it will fit inside a standard garage.  The turning radius is also fantastic and all Cybertrucks come standard with rear wheel steering.

At a price range similar to the F150 Lightning, the Cybertruck I think will destroy it in sales.

Because it's a Tesla.   

veeman

In my town I see lots of Dads and Moms dropping their kids off to school in 4 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicons or Saharas or Ford Broncos.  I think 75% of these parents will get a Cybertruck because with that they gain green cred and now they don't have to stop and fill up with gas on the way to the golf course or nail salon.

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on September 09, 2023, 10:52:03 AMhttps://m.youtube.com/shorts/eEoVLVbbzOg

I like it (the styling).  Wonder how bad the NVH will be though. It's very good the dimensions are 5% smaller than the original prototype and it will fit inside a standard garage.  The turning radius is also fantastic and all Cybertrucks come standard with rear wheel steering.

At a price range similar to the F150 Lightning, the Cybertruck I think will destroy it in sales.

Because it's a Tesla.   

My guess is it will sell into an entirely different segment than pickup truck buyers.
Initially it will sell into the Tesla fan base, early adopters who are willing, happy even, to put up with the foibles & faults that come with early production (think early Model 3 buyers.)  After that it will be the Honda Ridgeline crowd - people who want something that's sensible: not a pickup but a bit like a pickup, and an anathema to stump pulling red-blooded true Americans.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Honda Ridgeline was never a sought after truck though. It's very practical and has a sedan like ride but there is/was no pent up excitement for it, like I think there will be for the Cybertruck.

The bed of the Cybertruck will actually be larger than that of the F15O Lightning so I can see a lot of tradesmen actually getting one especially if they have only local clientele. 

Anyways I'd love a Cybertruck as a daily driver who never actually needs a pickup :)

Eye of the Tiger

Cyberjunk has nothing on TUNDRA.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

People doing real work with their trucks outside of local contracting jobs won't even consider something like a Cybertruck. The bed shape alone is stupidly limiting when it comes to mounting things like tool boxes, ladder racks, or auxiliary fuel tanks for equipment on a jobsite.

It's like a futuristic Avalanche...pointless abutments that block access to things.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 09, 2023, 02:48:31 PMPeople doing real work with their trucks outside of local contracting jobs won't even consider something like a Cybertruck. The bed shape alone is stupidly limiting when it comes to mounting things like tool boxes, ladder racks, or auxiliary fuel tanks for equipment on a jobsite.

It's like a futuristic Avalanche...pointless abutments that block access to things.

The abutments are so the bed weight doesn't cave in the cab....

See the "downfall" section: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/unibody-pickup-trucks

Even Maverick has a funny shape- bed is NOT completely squared off, and although the angle is not as obvious as the original Ridgeline or Avalanche, Mav also has a little bit of an "abutmnent". They just did a great job hiding it- note the straightness of the metal but the plastic covers more work above that slants back and down:

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

Laconian

I didn't know the Avalanche was a unit body truck. Huh
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 10, 2023, 09:03:35 PMI didn't know the Avalanche was a unit body truck. Huh

It's body on frame. But the body is 1 piece instead of having a separate bed like most trucks.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 09, 2023, 11:31:24 AMMy guess is it will sell into an entirely different segment than pickup truck buyers.
Initially it will sell into the Tesla fan base, early adopters who are willing, happy even, to put up with the foibles & faults that come with early production (think early Model 3 buyers.)  After that it will be the Honda Ridgeline crowd - people who want something that's sensible: not a pickup but a bit like a pickup, and an anathema to stump pulling red-blooded true Americans.

Yes. The cybertruck is definitely going to grab buyers who want something sensible... :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I'm having a hard time imagining a reality in whicb the Cybertruck succeeds. The Model 3 and Y managed to become the yuppie Camry of the moment, an acceptable default option for people who don't really care about cars.

The Cybertruck won't sell to that crowd.

GoCougs

The Model 3 was years late, much more expensive than promised, couldn't match a Civic in ride quality or NVH and was replete with typical terrible Tesla build quality and goofy service AAAAAN fanbois ate that shit up. Now add to that the fact that the traditional pickup truck is fairly awful and the Cybertruck can't not succeed at least to a moderate level.

Laconian

CT isn't "generically handsome" which will make it unpalatable to a large number of current mainstream Tesla buyers. My older neighbors just bought a Y. They've had a history of buying understated cars and the Y fit their style. The wife loved our EV6 interior but found the exterior styling to be too extroverted/loud for her tastes. The CT would give her a heart attack!

BTW the Model 3 was a performance bargain when it was released? Tesla ate BMW's lunch so badly with that car.

MrH

The Model 3, despite all it's problems, it's not a total engineering disaster.  Just a partial one.  A lot of it is based on what they did with the Model S, which still is their best product to date.

The Cybertruck is a rolling cluster.  It isn't an "exoskeleton".  It's a giant unibody, with heavy steel plates attached all over.  It's going to have serious aero, rigidity, and crash safety issues if it even gets federalized.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 11, 2023, 11:00:42 AMCT isn't "generically handsome" which will make it unpalatable to a large number of current mainstream Tesla buyers. My older neighbors just bought a Y. They've had a history of buying understated cars and the Y fit their style. The wife loved our EV6 interior but found the exterior styling to be too extroverted/loud for her tastes. The CT would give her a heart attack!

Yup. It's the opposite of the 3/Y bland styling.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

There are tons of Bros who want to appear smart so they'll buy CT's without ever putting anything in the beds....
Will

veeman

Nah. The Cybertruck, I think, will sell like hot cakes just as expensive versions of the Jeep Wrangler does and just as the Ford Bronco does. 

Every single Tesla male owner I know will gladly dump their car for a Cybertruck. It's "cool"and satisfies their thirst for green cred and rugged masculinity in one purchase.  Kill two birds with one stone.

Wife: "You want to trade in your model Y for that ugly thing?  No. Have you lost your mind?"

Husband: "It's a Tesla. Safest vehicle on the road to take Junior in.  Huge backseat. Will fit in the garage."

Wife: "But it's ugly!"

Husband: "I think it looks cool.  Moon vehicle."

Wife: "We don't live on the moon. Do you live on the moon?  Maybe you should hitch a ride with Elon to the moon."

Husband: "Trust me. You'll love it. Also Junior is about to go to college and we can take all his stuff in it without having to rent a van.  It has a pickup truck bed behind the second row which has an automatic cover."

Wife: "It's a pickup truck? No."

Husband: "You don't ever have to ride in it. You have your Mercedes SUV. I want this. Test drive it with me?"

Wife: "No.  I'm not test driving it with you. It's ugly. I'm never getting in it."

Husband knows he has won. "I'm never getting in it" as opposed to "we're not getting it" implies she doesn't have the heart to fight this. Husband also knows he now has to do something for her that he was previously resisting. 

Husband: "I'm going to test drive it. If it's a stupid vehicle, I won't get it. Trust me. ...  So, about those kitchen cabinets you want to get refinished..."

This sorta conversation will play out across thousands of households in the next year or two. And there will be lots of Cybertrucks in suburban garages. 

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 11, 2023, 03:35:50 PMThere are tons of Bros who want to appear smart so they'll buy CT's without ever putting anything in the beds....

My Dad loves his Maverick. Rarely puts anything in the bed :)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on September 11, 2023, 04:12:34 PMMy Dad loves his Maverick. Rarely puts anything in the bed :)

Right but it's far less nonsensical than all the other empty beds out there. We use our bed maybe once a week. :huh: But it's just as economical as a commuter car! :rockon:
Will

Morris Minor

Taking a look at an Austin-made Y. One of Munro & Associates' teardown rivals (Caresoft) at a Munich trade show.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

This happened a while back but the Model S and Model X plaid are both down to 90k. 

That's insanely cheap for any vehicle that traps 152+mph for the sedan and 145mph for the SUV. Unless you have a Chiron or a Mclaren P1 or a SF90, the 3 row SUV is going to hand you your ass on a plate.

On day you'll prob find ratty plaids selling for 50k or less on the used market.

Forget muscle cars or sport compacts, nothing has democratized speed like electric cars have.

Laconian

For sure! Speed and refinement above and beyond what V12s can offer, at a fraction of the price.

GoCougs

Have goes ever been in a Plaid or seen the various road test videos? It takes a lot of prep time to get max performance and at all full go you've only got a minute or two before temp warnings and not much time after that before the safeties start to kick in. There's a ginormous asterisk there, and why they're really not that interesting IMO. 

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2023, 10:43:57 PMHave goes ever been in a Plaid or seen the various road test videos? It takes a lot of prep time to get max performance and at all full go you've only got a minute or two before temp warnings and not much time after that before the safeties start to kick in. There's a ginormous asterisk there, and why they're really not that interesting IMO. 

Yes,

It still runs a 9.3x at 150.xx if you just floor it without prep.

https://youtu.be/HTV7bpXWKGE?si=kcUvMUtW9YwuE_pG

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Wow. It corroborates the customer complaints of routinely booking repairs within the warranty period as "goodwill" instead.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 12, 2023, 12:35:49 PMWow. It corroborates the customer complaints of routinely booking repairs within the warranty period as "goodwill" instead.

Totally shocking.  It's almost as if the CEO's incentives were based on gross margin.  Weird how that works.

Remember Tesla saying an SAP implementation of 6 months was too long, and decided to build their own ERP system from scratch instead?  Run a $500B+ business off Jira tickets, Excel, and a broken home-made ERP system with no controls.  Put a sociopath at helm with an unprecedented incentive package.  What could possibly go wrong?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited