Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on February 09, 2024, 12:53:35 PMYeah, I have totally different expectations for Marques than I do for someone like Camissa, because cars aren't really his thing.  Camissa and Lieberman are way more disappointing than a softball review from Marques.  It's interesting you think he's an Apple fan boy.  He carries an iPhone and Android phone at all times, but I've always gotten the impression he's much more into Android.  I think he just carries the iPhone to test iOS things, iMessage, and the camera, and his primary phone is whatever Android phone he's using at the time.
He's decidedly unimpressed with the iPhone 15 Pro's camera(s)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

The car magazines are also incentivized to pull their punches so they can sell ads. And C/D is dying anyway; they're cutting back to 6 issues a year. What a shame.

Quote from: Laconian on February 09, 2024, 12:15:23 PMNo offense to MKBHD but I'm holding out my judgment until I see reviews written by actual journalists, especially reviews that compare the Highland Model 3 to current competition.

Here

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-tesla-model-3-highland-awd-vs-hyundai-ioniq-6-awd-polestar-2-awd-comparison-test-review/

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 09, 2024, 02:17:47 PMHe's decidedly unimpressed with the iPhone 15 Pro's camera(s)

I need to find the video.  It was either MKBHD or maybe it was LTT, but they did a video on all the computational photography.  Typically when the hardware gets improved, it takes a year or so for the software to catch up, so a lot of times, the older phones look better for a period after a new one is released.  Just because the computational side has been so dialed in to the older hardware.

Seems like Marques prefers Google's computational photography stuff, but iPhone wins on the video side of things.  The blind head-to-head photography challenge every year is fun.  It's amazing how close everything is now.  My phone is neck and neck with my APS-C sensored camera + a nice lens.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Fuck computational photography.  Photographs are supposed to capture a moment in time, not some alternative reality
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

This is a real photograph of a moment in time that happens to be a Telsa burning at a charging station. :lol:

You cannot view this attachment.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

^^ :lol:

This one's always appreciated by the Never Tesla fraternity.

Submariner2

Quote from: r0tor on February 10, 2024, 09:23:11 AMFuck computational photography.  Photographs are supposed to capture a moment in time, not some alternative reality

Our existence is now an alternative reality.  Makes sense that pictures capture just that.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Finish it yourself! I'm going to start selling kits with sand paper, polisher, and a good stainless protective coating.

Or just coat it in used diesel oil like Rusty Slammington
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on February 14, 2024, 01:52:17 PMhttps://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/cybertruck-spots-corrosion.12242/

:lol: !!!

No way, it's as if I (as a professional detailer) had no idea this would happen.

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2024, 12:22:24 AMHeyyyyy if you think SS is so easy to maintain, throw your fridge out on the curb for a month and try to clean it and get back to me. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 14, 2024, 02:11:53 PMFinish it yourself! I'm going to start selling kits with sand paper, polisher, and a good stainless protective coating.

Or just coat it in used diesel oil like Rusty Slammington

I vote for used oil on bare metal

giant_mtb

Granted, that's "no big deal"...it's called "rail dust," and there are a million products on the market that will remove it. BUT, that is NOT something that happens to normal automotive paint that quickly in a California environment...takes months of winter driving in the YouPee to get rail dust that bad.

Clearcoat your shit, Elon. Bare SS has no business in the outdoors.

Eye of the Tiger

I have a loose plan to get some pre-rusted surplus square tube and fab a rear bumper.

afty

Cybertrucks have started to appear in the wild here in Silicon Valley, and they look just even more absurd in person than they do in pics.

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 14, 2024, 03:05:52 PMGranted, that's "no big deal"...it's called "rail dust," and there are a million products on the market that will remove it. BUT, that is NOT something that happens to normal automotive paint that quickly in a California environment...takes months of winter driving in the YouPee to get rail dust that bad.

Clearcoat your shit, Elon. Bare SS has no business in the outdoors.

Uhh Rail Dust occurs during delivery from transport on trains, that's why it's called Rail Dust, not from winter driving.

If it's Rail Dust then it's not the fault of the stainless steal exterior of the cybertruck, it can happen to any vehicle transported by railways.

r0tor

My Grand Cherokee had a horrific amount of rail dust on it when we bought it. 

Like most Tesla "issues" it's just a blown out of proportion nothingburger
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

We had nada on Maverick, which came from Mexico. We had asked them to not prep it at all, the paint is supposedly delicate and we didn't see any dealer monkey wash damage....
Will

Morris Minor

Just had lunch with some friends of ours who have a 2018 Model 3 and a 2020 Lexus RX. They're trading in the RX tomorrow for a new Model Y and transferring FSD in from the 3. We talked about why FSD goes with the vehicle rather than the person & he thinks it's because Tesla wants to nudge it away from Hardware 3 & towards HW 4. Still seems harsh to me.

Anyway interesting to talk to him. He said all the updates have made 3 much different & much better than it was than when he picked it up. As far as FSD is concerned he's on 11.4.something: only a very few have 12. He hovers over the accelerator pedal these days rather than the brake. It drove to our house perfectly, which is impressive given the roads, terrain and our non-standard signage, designed for aesthetics rather than utility.

Laconian

https://archive.is/gT0BX

The US DoD is affected by Tesla's desire to sell cars in China. SpaceX won't enable Starlink in and around Taiwan because of Chinese pressure.

Nasty conflicts of interest here.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2024, 03:52:08 AMhttps://archive.is/gT0BX

The US DoD is affected by Tesla's desire to sell cars in China. SpaceX won't enable Starlink in and around Taiwan because of Chinese pressure.

Nasty conflicts of interest here.

So currently Starshield uses Starlink satellites, but supposedly eventually they'll be different constellations.

But you'd think even Starlink could make the distinction and work for Starshield customers and not others... The tech is pretty amazing- those satellites go around the earth every 90min or so, so to turn off over Taiwan takes plenty of coordination and software stuff!
Will

Test drove a highland Model 3 long range.  Tesla was running the 10x referral points for test drives and I wanted the acceleration boost upgrade for free, so I had my wife sign up to test drive and I drove it too.

I hadn't driven a Model 3 before, and honestly it drives so much better than the Model Y. I am not sure how much is it being a sedan and how much it is the Highland refresh, but it is a very well sorted vehicle for ride handling balance.

The Model Y is still much more practical (much more rear leg room, more rear cargo room, larger frunk) but the Model 3 handles head and shoulders better. I expected it to be better but I didn't expect it to be this much better.

I also drove a GR Corolla late last year (the one I ordered) and I passed on it because it drove like such trash compared to the Blackwing. The Model 3 compares very favorably to the Blackwing.

I think the upcoming Model 3 Ludicrous is going to be a very compelling vehicle.

Morris Minor

I'm waiting for a refreshed Model Y. Then I'll finally pull the EV trigger.

afty

Yeah, also waiting for Model Y refresh, though the EV9 is tempting because we could use the 3rd row. Our old Sorento soldiers on, but I kind of hate it and want to replace it.

Rich

Are y'all Tesla people worried about your residuals?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

afty

Quote from: Rich on February 27, 2024, 06:23:30 PMAre y'all Tesla people worried about your residuals?
I just checked KBB and my 2019 Model 3's private party value is $29k. A similar BMW 330i from the same year is $21k. 

veeman

Tesla is not going to release the refreshed Model Y (Juniper model) until 2025 because, in part, if they announced it would be available later this year, it would significantly decrease sales of the current production Model Y.  People would wait for the newer much better refreshed model.  Tesla would have to give much more financial incentives (than the current $1000 discount) to get people to buy the current Model Y.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1917/tesla-updates-prices-and-talking-points-ahead-of-super-bowl

MrH

Quote from: afty on February 27, 2024, 06:58:12 PMI just checked KBB and my 2019 Model 3's private party value is $29k. A similar BMW 330i from the same year is $21k. 

I was told these are appreciating assets :confused:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on February 28, 2024, 03:32:14 PMTesla is not going to release the refreshed Model Y (Juniper model) until 2025 because, in part, if they announced it would be available later this year, it would significantly decrease sales of the current production Model Y.  People would wait for the newer much better refreshed model.  Tesla would have to give much more financial incentives (than the current $1000 discount) to get people to buy the current Model Y.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1917/tesla-updates-prices-and-talking-points-ahead-of-super-bowl
2025 works perfectly for me.

In other news, owners of Ford EVs can now start using Tesla Superchargers.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2024/02/29/ford-customers-can-now-charge-on-tesla-superchargers-in-u-s---ca.html

Look for Business Outsider stories of dysfunction, fights at SC locations, fires & mayhem. :lol:

GoCougs

BIG layoff coming at Tesla - 10+% of total workforce: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-lay-off-more-than-10-its-staff-electrek-reports-2024-04-15/.

EV market getting rekt. Too many players too quickly.