Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Tave

We haven't been able to design any mechanical systems to perfection. Brakes fail. Throttles fail. Tires fail. Airbags and seatbelts fail. Just because it happens 0.00000001% of the time doesn't mean we abandon all progress and scrap driving for horses. Oh geez, a horse kicked a guy, guess it's back to walking.

That's not even touching the legion of morons out there driving obliterated or like complete douchebags.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but as r0tor said, it's a pretty good effort on at least trying to think outside the box.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CaminoRacer

But it's unnecessary. If Tesla toned it down and made kick-ass electric car without all the silly, unnecessary, intentional design flaws, I'd be all for it. They're trying to do too much and it could be their downfall.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 27, 2017, 04:30:10 PM
But it's unnecessary. If Tesla toned it down and made kick-ass electric car without all the silly, unnecessary, intentional design flaws, I'd be all for it. They're trying to do too much and it could be their downfall.

Like the Model X... too much innovation in one design. With the Model 3, they should at least have an analog gauge cluster, even just a speedo, as backup in front of the driver. Even then though, I still see no reason to buy this over a Bolt.

2o6

A center screen isn't innovative tho.

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on September 27, 2017, 04:37:09 PM
Like the Model X... too much innovation in one design. With the Model 3, they should at least have an analog gauge cluster, even just a speedo, as backup in front of the driver. Even then though, I still see no reason to buy this over a Bolt.

Yup. The Bolt gets a lot right in the drivetrain department and the interior manages to be futuristic but conventional/ergonomic where it matters.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 04:14:28 PM
We haven't been able to design any mechanical systems to perfection. Brakes fail. Throttles fail. Tires fail. Airbags and seatbelts fail. Just because it happens 0.00000001% of the time doesn't mean we abandon all progress and scrap driving for horses. Oh geez, a horse kicked a guy, guess it's back to walking.

That's not even touching the legion of morons out there driving obliterated or like complete douchebags.

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but as r0tor said, it's a pretty good effort on at least trying to think outside the box.

But when you set up a system that was much different than before for zero good reason, that could be dangerous.

A "horse kicking a man" isn't the same as "You should put total trust in our software, it never fails!". With the projected goals of 250K cars on the road in a very short amount of time, that "small chance" turns into a not insignificant number of people on the road.

I don't understand how you guys fail to see my point here....

2o6

The problem I see is that because your eyes are so far away from the road, and so many key functions are relegated to that screen, if it fails (which it will) the window of the driver trying to troubleshoot on the fly and, say, driving the damn vehicle - is dangerous. Client tries to adjust wiper speed or check speed, or something and the damn thing freezes. Because you have to take your eyes so far away from the road, you're already in a much worse position than someone driving a car with more conventional instruments.

Yes, in theory automatic braking etc should stop you, but what if they don't? The conditions for automatic braking aren't foolproof.

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 01:42:08 PM

What if they fail to turn on for some reason? We've already had one death directly due to autopilot's inability to determine the daylight sky to the side of a tractor trailer. There have been other videos of autopilot being unclear on lane markings and drifting into another lane.

It's bad design.

In 2015, 10 people died every day from distracted driving.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/distracted-driving

Why do we here so much about 1 Tesla death?  It's only because of massive amounts of money at stake in Tesla stock and the Big 3.

Hell yesterday I saw an attack piece on Model 3 build quality because someone posted a picture of a 3 that looked like it was physically beat to shit by a vandal and called Tesla out on it.  Not surprisingly, it was written by a stock market player.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

:confused:

Lord.

People texting while driving is not the same as a manufacturer putting a flawed product out that could potentially harm its user.

r0tor

End result is the same.  It's people doing everything else except having their eyes on the road.  At least in the 3, the car will alert and stop before plowing into someone (at a minimum if they don't have the autonomy package).
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on September 27, 2017, 04:42:55 PM
But when you set up a system that was much different than before for zero good reason, that could be dangerous.

A "horse kicking a man" isn't the same as "You should put total trust in our software, it never fails!". With the projected goals of 250K cars on the road in a very short amount of time, that "small chance" turns into a not insignificant number of people on the road.

I don't understand how you guys fail to see my point here....

It's not for zero reason. Their ability to integrate so much content so seamlessly into their infotainment command module is both a huge selling point as well as one of the reasons why they can produce the car at a competitive price. It also fascilitates their unique and forward-looking approach to periodic updates, which are almost completely absent from every other marque. Not to mention it's way ahead of the curve in relation to the way consumers actually use consumer electronics. .
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 05:31:23 PM
End result is the same.  It's people doing everything else except having their eyes on the road.  At least in the 3, the car will alert and stop before plowing into someone (at a minimum if they don't have the autonomy package).

The 3 requires the driver to look away from the road to a blinding screen, not just for nav or entertainment, but for everything. Still too early to tell for sure until there's some real world feedback, but from what I see so far this is a terrible and dangerous design. The car itself should never be the distraction. That's the thing you don't seem to grasp.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 27, 2017, 04:41:09 PM
Yup. The Bolt gets a lot right in the drivetrain department and the interior manages to be futuristic but conventional/ergonomic where it matters.

The Bolt, being a GM design, will never get the cool points a Tesla does automatically by being a Tesla.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 05:37:49 PM
It's not for zero reason. Their ability to integrate so much content so seamlessly into their infotainment command module is both a huge selling point as well as one of the reasons why they can produce the car at a competitive price. It also fascilitates their unique and forward-looking approach to periodic updates, which are almost completely absent from every other marque. Not to mention it's way ahead of the curve in relation to the way consumers actually use consumer electronics. .

Integrating content into an infotainment system is great -- but only if basic functions can be done some other way.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on September 27, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
Integrating content into an infotainment system is great -- but only if basic functions can be done some other way.

Says who?

Eventually, voice command and autopilot will become so sophisticated that a lot of cars won't even have a steering wheel. In the meantime, Tesla gives you throttle, steer, brake and gear selection with dedicated toggles, and all the important auxiliary functions on a one-touch, dedicated virtual button on the central screen. It may be an unfinished, intermediate stopgap, but we can't deem it a fail until we have more data. Clearly this is the direction the industry is headed, and Tesla still appears to be way ahead of the curve.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 07:01:40 PM
Says who?

Eventually, voice command and autopilot will become so sophisticated that a lot of cars won't even have a steering wheel. In the meantime, Tesla gives you throttle, steer, brake and gear selection with dedicated toggles, and all the important auxiliary functions on a one-touch, dedicated virtual button on the central screen. It may be an unfinished, intermediate stopgap, but we can't deem it a fail until we have more data. Clearly this is the direction the industry is headed, and Tesla still appears to be way ahead of the curve.

Says common sense. it's quicker to twist a volume knob than locate and operate the volume setting within a big screen, or say slowly and clearly: "SET VOLUME TO LEVEL 4."

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 27, 2017, 05:49:04 PM
The Bolt, being a GM design, will never get the cool points a Tesla does automatically by being a Tesla.

More of a joint effort by LG and GM. The digital user interface is all LG, actually.
Cuore Sportivo

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 27, 2017, 05:31:23 PM
The 3 wouldn't have to alert and stop you from plowing into someone if it didn't take your eyes off the road in the first place. Distracted driving used to be pure user error- now with shit UI like this it's embedded into the design. How is this progress? What is wrong with the physical controls we have used for the last 50+ years?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on September 27, 2017, 07:01:40 PM
Says who?

We don't need more data to know that distracted driving is bad... and these controls will definitely prompt that.

Voice command is also a red herring, because nobody has time to sit and learn all those commands, especially if they vary from car to car. Plus you can't always use it... for example if you have a crying baby in the car, or are in a heavy rainstorm, or stuck near an ambulance in traffic, or any range of other background noises that would obscure your voice. By contrast there is absolutely nothing that can keep you from hitting a physical wiper stalk. This touch screen bullshit is creating problems rather than solutions.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

The whole "automatic braking will prevent you from running into shit when you're distracted" argument is stupid...it's just rewarding stupidity in machine operation. :nutty:

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 28, 2017, 06:02:43 AM
We don't need more data to know that distracted driving is bad... and these controls will definitely prompt that.

Voice command is also a red herring, because nobody has time to sit and learn all those commands, especially if they vary from car to car. Plus you can't always use it... for example if you have a crying baby in the car, or are in a heavy rainstorm, or stuck near an ambulance in traffic, or any range of other background noises that would obscure your voice. By contrast there is absolutely nothing that can keep you from hitting a physical wiper stalk. This touch screen bullshit is creating problems rather than solutions.

I've never had an issue with background noise and voice commands in my cars that have had it.  I've had the windows fully down, traveling at highway speed (so maximum air buffeting in the cabin) and it still recognized the commands.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Char

So we all agree this car is a fucking turd?

Good.

And please, spare me the hypotheticals on this shit stain. I don't care what you predict cars will be in x years, we are talking now. It's a pile of fucking shit, and anyone who buys one is...not a smart consumer.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on September 28, 2017, 07:02:13 PM
So we all agree this car is a fucking turd?

Good.

And please, spare me the hypotheticals on this shit stain. I don't care what you predict cars will be in x years, we are talking now. It's a pile of fucking shit, and anyone who buys one is...not a smart consumer.

:facepalm:

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Half of those were "pay attention" things.  omg a deer?  Thank GOD for Tesla.

Soup DeVille

Autonomy has come a long way. Sometimes, it's spooky how good it is.

Other times, it drives into trailers at full speed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2017, 07:48:32 PM
Half of those were "pay attention" things.  omg a deer?  Thank GOD for Tesla.

It's sad that this tech is being hailed as a miracle when the solution is just to pay fucking attention. But our relationship to the automobile has degraded to being worse than our relationship with the gun--at least we acknowledge that guns are dangerous and need to be handled with care. Even ads for this kind of technology not only address distracted driving, but the tone often promotes it. Not paying attention to the 4,000 pound missile filled with flammable liquids and your family's lives in it? Don't worry, we've got you. Kylie Jenner might be pregnant. That's more important.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on September 28, 2017, 07:34:09 PM
:facepalm:

I need an emoji that conveys how little I care about you and your opinion.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: is the best I can do.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: Char on September 28, 2017, 09:34:54 PM
I need an emoji that conveys how little I care about you and your opinion.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: is the best I can do.

It's one of the lease thought out shits out here yet