Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Raza

It's still so easy to trigger you guys with how much better Apple's products are than the competition's. You guys never learn. Still burned from all your Samsung phones setting themselves on fire?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 05, 2017, 06:37:24 PM
Who was triggered?

:huh:

Also, I don't think many here have (overpriced) Samsungs.
Will

Laconian

"Teslas are just very expensive street legal golf carts."

Huh? The Model S ANNIHILATED its internal combustion sedan competitors, and at a lower price, too!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Annihilated how? What do you consider its competitors to be?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on July 05, 2017, 08:06:47 PM

Huh? The Model S ANNIHILATED its internal combustion sedan competitors, and at a lower price, too!

In shortest trip length???   :mrcool:
Will

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on July 05, 2017, 08:06:47 PM

How so?  Certainly not build quality or luxury, which Tesla thinks of as two giant screens with some weird commie-recycled plastic accenting the center console. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM
This is so reminiscent of Apple mania at its height.

So you're saying that Tesla is going to have a $700,000,000,000 valuation in ten years?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on July 05, 2017, 09:36:51 PM
Annihilated how? What do you consider its competitors to be?

There's obviously a lot more to a car than this, but the top of the line model literally beats everything in the world to 60 except the Porsche 918.

Submariner

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 09:21:52 AM
There's obviously a lot more to a car than this, but the top of the line model literally beats everything in the world to 60 except the Porsche 918.

Which it can do a few times before being put in "restricted mode".

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM
This is so reminiscent of Apple mania at its height.

Probably worse - at least Apple had a good quality product, sans government funding, that changed the world almost over night.

CaminoRacer

I think Matt Farah said accelerating that fast is just uncomfortable.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Overall, I mostly LOL at the Tesla haters because everyone I know who has actually driven one has been pretty damn impressed.

Tave

Quote from: Submariner on July 06, 2017, 09:56:15 AM
Which it can do a few times before being put in "restricted mode".

At WOT, the Veyron theoretically runs out of fuel in, what, like 8 minutes?

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
Not since February. https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/tesla-performance-restrictions-update/

Permanent restrictions were lifted, but you can only do like 3 consecutive hard acceleration runs before temporary restrictions go into place.  Generally cleared by a recharge.

Lest we forget, the Tesla couldn't even muster half a lap of VIR before going into limp/conservation mode and the brakes went to mush in like the 3rd corner.  These are still one trick ponies in terms of performance.  Staggering acceleration and that's about it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 10:09:24 AM
Overall, I mostly LOL at the Tesla haters because everyone I know who has actually driven one has been pretty damn impressed.
Exponentially ramping up production <> making cars that can impress on a test drive

I want Tesla to succeed on this as well, but don't be to Tesla what shippy is to Trump. They got problems cuz

MrH

Their products are pretty cool.  But yeah, it's a lot easier to make cool stuff when you don't have to be profitable and you get a free pass to miss on every single volume and revenue projection.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on July 06, 2017, 11:16:25 AM
Their products are pretty cool.  But yeah, it's a lot easier to make cool stuff when you don't have to be profitable and you get a free pass to miss on every single volume and revenue projection.

+1
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

It's okay but I wasn't super impressed. It's quiet and quick but I can't stand the UI. Plus, most who own (er, lease) them are not car people, and it's a bit of a  :facepalm:  to listen them explain why it's such an awesome car.

Either way "haters" are much more on about the company (origins/finances) and EV premise, not the actual car itself.

AutobahnSHO

The apple analogy fits there too- Tesla drew out the non-car people to be interested in electric performance. Apple drew out all the non-geeks to think digital files for music was cool. There were better 'sounding' MP3 players on the market pre-iPod but most people wouldn't know it.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2017, 02:33:24 PM
The apple analogy fits there too- Tesla drew out the non-car people to be interested in electric performance. Apple drew out all the non-geeks to think digital files for music was cool. There were better 'sounding' MP3 players on the market pre-iPod but most people wouldn't know it.

To be fair, the iPod really was one of the first HDD-based MP3 players. There were a handful before the iPod, but the vast majority of early MP3 players used flash memory with like a 32 MB capacity, which made them not much more useful than just burning CDs.

Morris Minor

That's Apple's genius. Taking an idea and moving it from pain in the ass to usable and (extremely) profitable.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

They also all had shitty UI and build quality that only audiophiles would put up with

You act like what Apple brought to the MP3 player/cell phone realm was of no value.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 06, 2017, 03:50:07 PM
They also all had shitty UI and build quality that only audiophiles would put up with

You act like what Apple brought to the MP3 player/cell phone realm was of no value.

I wouldn't exactly call iTunes circa early 2000s great UI.  What's Apple's aversion to being able to transfer MP3s from computer to device via drag & drop?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 06, 2017, 02:52:15 PM
To be fair, the iPod really was one of the first HDD-based MP3 players. There were a handful before the iPod, but the vast majority of early MP3 players used flash memory with like a 32 MB capacity, which made them not much more useful than just burning CDs.
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 06, 2017, 03:50:07 PM

I don't act like that at all. My dad had a Windows tablet computer in 2001. It was absolute garbage, the UI sucked and it took the iPad to show that big screens could be easy to use (and the iPhone before that). Apple single-handedly created giant markets out of bringing the people factor into technology.

This is a very very loose analogy. Apple/Tesla were not the inventors of the technology. It all existed before they did. Apple & Tesla put it together in a marketable mass consumption sort of way and are successful at what others were not able to do.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on July 06, 2017, 03:52:57 PM
I wouldn't exactly call iTunes circa early 2000s great UI.  What's Apple's aversion to being able to transfer MP3s from computer to device via drag & drop?

I think it has to do with the fact that it was mounted as a generic mass storage device. Low level access like that presents the device with very few hooks for efficiently detecting file addition/removal. You'd have to grind away and checksum all the files after unmounting to check for changes. The iPod was made to hold a LOT of music; this step could be really nasty for power users.

It's simpler to have the computer maintain the music index instead.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on July 06, 2017, 04:07:01 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that it was mounted as a generic mass storage device. Low level access like that presents the device with very few hooks for efficiently detecting file addition/removal. You'd have to grind away and checksum all the files after unmounting to check for changes. The iPod was made to hold a LOT of music; this step could be really nasty for power users.

I bought a cheap, tiny Sansa MP3 player maybe 7 or 8 years ago.  $50 (cheaper than the cheapest iPod at the time and with 2x the storage capacity).  About the same physical size as an iPod Shuffle of the same vintage, but actually has a small LCD display with song title, artist, etc.  Even has (limited) onboard playlist building capability.  Couple of gigs of music storage.  Supports drag & drop.  What's Apple's excuse?  You're telling me a tech giant like Apple couldn't figure it out?  More like they want to force people to use iTunes, which gets people more integrated with and invested in the i-life.  Great way to retain customers; I can't knock the business sense there, but a huge turn-off to people who don't want to be tied down to a particular brand.
Needs more Jiggawatts

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on July 06, 2017, 04:07:01 PM

One of the things I really liked about iTunes is that it would manage the files for you. Especially once I took the time to customize how they're stored and named.

Overall, I thought the early versions of iTunes were fantastic. But at that time, it was really just a music manager. As it grew to support videos and the iPhone app store, it turned into a bloated memory hog.