Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 11:04:50 AM
You by the way have a truck with a rear seat with no exterior door handle for the rear doors

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 10:50:42 AM
Getting in/out of most coupes is a tough task when your not injured.  More often then not, injured rear seat occupants are going to be cut out.  Trying to extricate anyone from a space like that is going to be way too difficult and dangerous to the victim.

Tesla is halarious.  On either side of Tesla you have fanatical worship and fanatical hatred.  Any other manufacturer, nobody in large would give two shits about this.

There have been a fair number of paid for hit pieces on Tesla.  You have to consider that before jumping on a bandwagon on either side.  Hell, a couple months ago it was "Tesla is building model 3s without any automation" that hit national news and was in fact bullshit.  This is just more of the same IMO.
Like giant said, the 3 is a sedan. Comparing it to coupes, or RX-8s, or pickup trucks is just panicked deflection. There is no upside to it not having physical door latches in the rear, and frankly I'm surprised that is even legal.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

How would mechanical door latches on rear occupancy doors be required if the doors themselves are not required?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 01:37:15 PM
How would mechanical door latches on rear occupancy doors be required if the doors themselves are not required?
If you put a door on a car, it should have a mechanical opening mechanism. No different than the pull latch in a trunk, which is not supposed to be used for carrying people at all.

I get that people dump on Tesla excessively, largely because fanatics like you just make it so fun. But when you can't even admit to an obvious and dangerous fault like this, you give away what little credibility you have :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 01:37:15 PM

:confused:
Will

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 05, 2018, 01:42:55 PM
If you put a door on a car, it should have a mechanical opening mechanism. No different than the pull latch in a trunk, which is not supposed to be used for carrying people at all.

I get that people dump on Tesla excessively, largely because fanatics like you just make it so fun. But when you can't even admit to an obvious and dangerous fault like this, you give away what little credibility you have :huh:

Actually I think it's more fun watching and messing with people who have an obsession  with radom things related to Tesla when they would never buy the car... and falling head over heels for stock market hit pieces
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 02:46:43 PM
Actually I think it's more fun watching and messing with people who have an obsession  with radom things related to Tesla when they would never buy the car... and falling head over heels for stock market hit pieces

Apparently it's not just Tesla haters who have a problem with this shitty door design.  A thread that went up at a Tesla enthusiasts' site shortly after the emergency response guide was published last year:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/no-mechanical-handle-for-rear-doors-seriously.98748/

That a "hit piece" shone light on it for the greater public doesn't mean it wasn't noticed before, nor does it make it any less a piss poor design.

Maybe it Musk and Tesla didn't hype the shit out of their products (and often fail to deliver on promises) and the congregation of the Church of Tesla didn't worship it as perfection, people wouldn't hate on it quite so much.  I seem to recall Apple being hated on pretty hard a dozen or so years ago for much the same reason.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2018, 03:37:25 PM
Apparently it's not just Tesla haters who have a problem with this shitty door design.  A thread that went up at a Tesla enthusiasts' site shortly after the emergency response guide was published last year:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/no-mechanical-handle-for-rear-doors-seriously.98748/

That a "hit piece" shone light on it for the greater public doesn't mean it wasn't noticed before, nor does it make it any less a piss poor design.

Maybe it Musk and Tesla didn't hype the shit out of their products (and often fail to deliver on promises) and the congregation of the Church of Tesla didn't worship it as perfection, people wouldn't hate on it quite so much.  I seem to recall Apple being hated on pretty hard a dozen or so years ago for much the same reason.

Take 20 seconds to breeze through the thread... Most posts either don't care or aren't even about the doors

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 04:56:15 PM
Take 20 seconds to breeze through the thread... Most posts either don't care or aren't even about the doors

I see a bunch of Church of Tesla members making excuses for why it's perfectly fine for a sedan not to have a mechanical release on the rear doors and then a side conversation about the stupid and unsafe touchscreen windshield wiper controls (likewise defended by most of the Teslaites).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Next to throttle- steer- and brake-by-wire fears, my underwater rear door escape plan is a distant priority.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on February 05, 2018, 05:15:25 PM
Next to throttle- steer- and brake-by-wire fears, my underwater rear door escape plan is a distant priority.

All steer and brake by wire systems in use now default to refular mechanical operation under electronic failure conditions. Throttles, no; but that's less of a safety issue.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 05:22:16 PM
All steer and brake by wire systems in use now default to refular mechanical operation under electronic failure conditions. Throttles, no; but that's less of a safety issue.

Well there was that one Jeep hack where the hackers were able to take over the steering, brakes, and throttle

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 05, 2018, 06:56:25 PM
Well there was that one Jeep hack where the hackers were able to take over the steering, brakes, and throttle

Yeah, and that could be a legitimate concern at some point too. I don't see it being very wide spread, but it does give me pause.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 07:01:01 PM
Yeah, and that could be a legitimate concern at some point too. I don't see it being very wide spread, but it does give me pause.

It's already a legitimate concern.

It was a standard Jeep Cherokee. At first the student/investigators had to be physically connected but then they figured out how to get in via Cellphone and the onstar-type system.  They notified Jeep and of course the issue was patched. They think.

This was just one example of a vulnerability. As more cars get more connected, more issues will be opened/ found, and hopefully reported/fixed.
Will

SJ_GTI

Did a google search on model 3 sales and this popped up:

https://insideevs.com/january-ev-sales-rise-tesla-model-3-prime-bolt-lead/

Despite its production shortfalls, the Tesla Model 3 was top dog in January, with an estimated 1,875 sales. While the Toyota Prius Prime and Chevrolet Bolt claimed the number two and three spots with 1,496 and 1,177, respectively.

So it looks like the Model 3 did take top spot, but that sales number is still pretty small compared to where they claimed they would be by the end of 2017.

Will be keeping an eye out to see how many they can deliver each month. In concept Tesla should be able to deliver every Model 3 they manufacture since they have that giant wait list.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 06, 2018, 06:08:25 AM
In concept Tesla should be able to deliver every Model 3 they manufacture since they have that giant wait list.

That's the way to do business. :lol:  No question about how many you need to build.
Will

12,000 RPM

They had to physically connect to the car to do it.

I'm sure if Teslas were hackable you'd cite it as an opportunity for Americans to sharpen their cybersecurity skills. This is embarassing

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 06, 2018, 07:45:10 AM
They had to physically connect to the car to do it.

I'm sure if Teslas were hackable you'd cite it as an opportunity for Americans to sharpen their cybersecurity skills. This is embarassing

No it was done with a UConnect exploit over the air

MX793

Didn't they have to plug in to install some kind of code before they could wirelessly control the vehicle?
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on February 06, 2018, 09:21:11 AM
Didn't they have to plug in to install some kind of code before they could wirelessly control the vehicle?

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

In this instance, it doesn't sound like it.  They just had to know the vehicle's IP address.  Then Jeep fixed their shit.  And a year later...

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

Sounds like they now had to plug in first, then they could open it up for wireless hax0rs.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 06, 2018, 09:31:56 AM
https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

In this instance, it doesn't sound like it.  They just had to know the vehicle's IP address.  Then Jeep fixed their shit.  And a year later...

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

Sounds like they now had to plug in first, then they could open it up for wireless hax0rs.

So, any off-brand cable or charger- or even any phone that's had the wrong app downloaded- plugged into an aux USB port on the vehicle is now a possible route for malware.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 06, 2018, 04:01:31 PM
So, any off-brand cable or charger- or even any phone that's had the wrong app downloaded- plugged into an aux USB port on the vehicle is now a possible route for malware.

yessir!

All the manufacturers need to be keeping this in mind.
Will

Galaxy

1,500 cars per weeks. They are improving.

12,000 RPM

But will they charge?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/musks-tesla-might-make-mars-one-mans-factory-fresh-model-s-couldnt-make-mom-dads/

I know, I know r0tor. Back in 1978 AMC had a recall for gas filler tubes being too tight. So this is something we should all be used to.

r0tor

Only Tesla could have a single failure make headlines...

Morris Minor

"I'm hopeful that people think that if we can send a Roadster to the asteroid belt, we can probably solve Model 3 production."
----------------
He acknowledged that rolling out the Model 3, which began production in July, was harder than expected. "We were in a deeper level of hell than expected," he said. "Still a few levels deeper than we'd like to be but swiftly exiting, I think."
----------------
He also took a swipe at his automotive competitors, promising Tesla could leap over them with advances in manufacturing. While the automotive industry is "quite good at manufacturing," he said it produces cars too slowly, churning out at best a vehicle every 25 seconds.
----------------
"Grandma with a walker can exceed the fastest production line on earth," Mr. Musk said. "So really, not that fast."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 08, 2018, 05:28:38 AM
"I'm hopeful that people think that if we can send a Roadster to the asteroid belt, we can probably solve Model 3 production."
----------------
He acknowledged that rolling out the Model 3, which began production in July, was harder than expected. "We were in a deeper level of hell than expected," he said. "Still a few levels deeper than we'd like to be but swiftly exiting, I think."
----------------
He also took a swipe at his automotive competitors, promising Tesla could leap over them with advances in manufacturing. While the automotive industry is "quite good at manufacturing," he said it produces cars too slowly, churning out at best a vehicle every 25 seconds.
----------------
"Grandma with a walker can exceed the fastest production line on earth," Mr. Musk said. "So really, not that fast."

What the hell is he even talking about? A single assembly plant running at capacity will exceed the entire Model 3 production to date in about three weeks.

MrH

He envisions a plant where you can reduce he takt time for car assembly to a few seconds. But it's just like Elon with everything else. Heavy on the vision, very light on the execution.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV