Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

MX793

There are 3 controls in a car that should always be managed via a knob or slider:
-Radio Volume
-HVAC Fan speed
-HVAC Temperature

Any vehicle that relies on buttons, real or simulated via touch screen, for these functions is doing it wrong.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

You forgot Windows and doors....  :confused:
Will

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 31, 2017, 08:16:08 PM
There are 3 controls in a car that should always be managed via a knob or slider:
-Radio Volume
-HVAC Fan speed
-HVAC Temperature

Any vehicle that relies on buttons, real or simulated via touch screen, for these functions is doing it wrong.
Yea, I do wish there were more conventional controls in the center console of the MKX. If it didn't have the steering wheel controls I probably would not have bought that car. Will be interesting to see the accident rates on these.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

People will get into accidents with them and that'll just be an excuse to further push automated cars for incompetent drivers.

r0tor

With automatic climate control - how green are you people messing with the controls? I probably adjust the temp on my jeep maybe a couple times a year!?!?

Same with the vents - set them and don't mess with them ever again
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 01, 2017, 06:51:55 AM
With automatic climate control - how green are you people messing with the controls? I probably adjust the temp on my jeep maybe a couple times a year!?!?

There's no summer where you live? You don't get into a hot car an SUV manually pump the air up to cool off?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Sometimes my face is sweaty. Sometimes it's muh balls. Windows down in cooler weather, the heat might be directed towards the floor. Feet froze after walkong in the snow? That's a different setting too.

It is what it is, man.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

If they controlled to wet bulb I would leave it. But 73 degrees in dry ass January is very different than muggy ass August. So I mess with it for that reason

giant_mtb

I never used the automatic climate in my A4. In the summer, it would just blast you in the face...which is great for the first five minutes of being in a sun-baked black on black car...but after that, I preferred moving the air up to the defrost vents to give a nice gentle breeze bouncing off the windshield and keeping the dashboard and glass cool.  I don't like the sporadic nature of most automatic climate systems I've encountered.

12,000 RPM

Yea, both the G and MKX blow super cold, so I often have to aim the vents so they don't blow directly on my skin. I know wifey messes with the fan speed in the MKX too because auto blows too hard. Unless Tesla gets the HVAC design right (huge vents for slower air speed and some level of dehumidification control), I see this causing more problems than solutions.

Char

Quote from: MX793 on July 31, 2017, 08:16:08 PM
-Radio Volume
-HVAC Fan speed
-HVAC Temperature

What's funny is even smart phones (which started the whole touch screen craze, like the Iphone) have actual buttons for some of those things.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 31, 2017, 08:54:35 AM
I have been reading the initial reviews and it seems like an interesting car. I haven't been following it that closely so I was surprised that they are launching with a 310 mile range version...I didn't think they would even have a longer range version (I assumed the smaller footprint wouldn't let them put in a larger battery).

I still think it looks nice though. Features add $$$ to the price very quickly. I think one car I saw reviewed would have a sticker of nearly 60k, and we aren't even talking AWD yet. You have to think once this car is fully rolled out we will be looking at high end version at or above M3/AMG prices.

Still though the 220 mile range version with reasonable features should be in the mid 40's, so not too bad all things considered. I don't really see myself buying any new car in the next few years anyway but I'll have to give Tesla a serious look next time I am shopping I think.

Why?
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Char on August 01, 2017, 08:39:45 AM
Why?

...why not?

All things considered I think I would prefer electric cars. Smoother acceleration, almost never have to take it to get filled up, and very little maintenance (the reason I have an electric lawnmower instead of a gas one).

If the Motortrend review is to be believed the Model 3 is a great drivers car (better than the Guilia, which has been getting rave reviews for its handling). I don't know if I'll buy a Tesla, but I think there is at least a 50/50 chance my next car (~2-4 years from now) will be electric.

12,000 RPM

Your parameters allow it. Short commute, not a lot of long distance personal travel. I can see it working for a lot of people

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2017, 06:59:21 AM
There's no summer where you live? You don't get into a hot car an SUV manually pump the air up to cool off?

Ummm it's not going to cool down any quicker if your car is boiling hot and you adjust the temp down 10 more degrees cooler then normal
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2017, 07:00:43 AM
Sometimes my face is sweaty. Sometimes it's muh balls. Windows down in cooler weather, the heat might be directed towards the floor. Feet froze after walkong in the snow? That's a different setting too.

It is what it is, man.

Climate controls direct heat towards the face in summer and feat in winter automatically...

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on August 01, 2017, 09:44:59 AM
Climate controls direct heat towards the face in summer and feat in winter automatically...

In my experience, not all of them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 01, 2017, 09:17:27 AM

If the Motortrend review is to be believed the Model 3 is a great drivers car (better than the Guilia, which has been getting rave reviews for its handling). I don't know if I'll buy a Tesla, but I think there is at least a 50/50 chance my next car (~2-4 years from now) will be electric.

It is a stellar review.

Unlike our forum expert opinions, the screen is within your field of vision (maybe even better then some conventional layouts) and the ride and handling makes a Giulia feel like a wet sponge

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 31, 2017, 07:41:36 PM
Bruv

Tell me if you see any difference between these two interiors

Like tell me if you see any difference in the controls available for shit like HVAC and the radio........................................

Quote from: Tave on July 31, 2017, 04:20:28 PM
I'm well aware of the various differences between the two systems; that doesn't change the fact that they are both examples of the trend in auto manufacturing towards integrated digital displays.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 01, 2017, 09:44:59 AM

But that's not always what is wanted, is it?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Right Tave but a move toward digital displays doesn't make the Model 3's central console nonsense the logical conclusion. It's something that people who only travel by Uber would come up with. There has been backlash to the bullshit- Honda for example capitulated and replaced its stupid sliders back with a good old volume knob after the hyena like shrieks of CR and customers. Maybe Tesla buyers are good with ergonomically nightmarish gimmicks but most people want UX that works.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2017, 10:54:04 AM
But that's not always what is wanted, is it?

Probably 97% of the time which is why decent climate control systems are set it and forget it

Cookie Monster

I'm surprised you guys are so worked up over this... It's to cut costs and simplify production ramp up. It's not about automation or anything else. If it were, the 3 would come would the auto lift gate and self opening doors like the X does as well.

Cutting out buttons and replacing everything with one screen saves a ton on parts and fit and finish. Not like they're doing it for any other reason. :huh:

Also, I'm willing to give the center screen a chance before completely writing the car off.  Initial reviews seem pretty positive, and I'm more willing to listen to reviewers who have driven the car than a bunch of guys on a forum speculating. I still don't like the exterior looks in person, but $44k for a 310 mile range is amazing. I can't hate on that at all.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

"It'll take a lot more miles than this to decide if the single off-center screen completely substitutes for a conventionally located gauge cluster" - Motor Trend

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 01, 2017, 11:55:26 AM
but $44k for a 310 mile range is amazing. I can't hate on that at all.

Idk, I pay about $30 for a 310 mile range. :huh:

:lol:
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2017, 09:39:43 AM
Your parameters allow it. Short commute, not a lot of long distance personal travel. I can see it working for a lot of people

+1

If I were shopping for new right now I could consider a Bolt or Tesla 3. I could get out of driving minivan to work and back, and save it for when I need more than 2 seats. Wife's car is paid for so she could continue to commute in that. Electric Miata would be ideal :rockon:

((( But I don't buy new so.... )))
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 01, 2017, 11:53:04 AM
Probably 97% of the time which is why decent climate control systems are set it and forget it

IME, far, far less than that; and most get adjusted regularly.

MrH

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 01, 2017, 11:55:26 AM
I'm surprised you guys are so worked up over this... It's to cut costs and simplify production ramp up. It's not about automation or anything else. If it were, the 3 would come would the auto lift gate and self opening doors like the X does as well.

Cutting out buttons and replacing everything with one screen saves a ton on parts and fit and finish. Not like they're doing it for any other reason. :huh:

Also, I'm willing to give the center screen a chance before completely writing the car off.  Initial reviews seem pretty positive, and I'm more willing to listen to reviewers who have driven the car than a bunch of guys on a forum speculating. I still don't like the exterior looks in person, but $44k for a 310 mile range is amazing. I can't hate on that at all.

Yeah, I actually like the product a lot.  If it was available now, with no major quality issues, I'd at least go look at one.

The problem is, this isn't going to be available to purchase for a long time.  They claim with their current ramp up schedule, if you order now, you'll get it late next year.  And that's with Tesla's projected ramp up plan, which they have never come close to hitting ever.  This likely puts availability sometime late into 2019.  And that's if the financials go according to plan too.  I'm guessing the ramp up is going to be brutal, they'll continue to hemorrhage money, and something will have to happen.  An entire business can't exist solely on cool product design and hype.  Eventually you have to operationally perform.  Elon is a great visionary, but he can't manufacture to save his life.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2017, 11:26:32 AM
Right Tave but a move toward digital displays doesn't make the Model 3's central console nonsense the logical conclusion. It's something that people who only travel by Uber would come up with. There has been backlash to the bullshit- Honda for example capitulated and replaced its stupid sliders back with a good old volume knob after the hyena like shrieks of CR and customers. Maybe Tesla buyers are good with ergonomically nightmarish gimmicks but most people want UX that works.

I never said it's the alpha and omega from this date and henceforth into eternity; merely that it is the direction the industry is headed. Surely that's not a controversial opinion, we can all see the increasing sophistication in vehicle electronics and the trend toward automation.

Where is "nightmarish" coming from? As I stated before, the Model S is reportedly light years ahead of everyone else on the UX front. It seems like you've reached a conclusion a priori.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2017, 12:05:00 PM
"It'll take a lot more miles than this to decide if the single off-center screen completely substitutes for a conventionally located gauge cluster" - Motor Trend

That's some nice click bait editing:

"It'll take a lot more miles than this to decide if the single off-center screen completely substitutes for a conventionally located gauge cluster, but I'm already adapting to it. At least I can always see the mph display near my right hand position (upper left corner of the screen) versus it being often half-hidden behind spokes."

And:

"The Tesla Model 3 is here, and it is the most important vehicle of the century."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.