Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2018, 06:16:24 AM
This is the world I've always lived in. I've worked in automotive, in Detroit, most of my life. My grandfather, uncle, step-grand dad, and cousons are all GM retirees. I've been a member of both the UAW and the Ironworker's union.

When I was a kid, the big fundraiser at the union picnic was paying to take a swing at a jap car with a sledgehammer. The car wasn't bought- it was "found."

UAW plants have segregated parking lots; and yes, if you park a non-compliant vehicle in the wrong lot, it'll usually get towed.

But getting vandalized is rare, and usually dealt with pretty harshly.

It still happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-02-17-0602170282-story,amp.html

I like the part where the Toyota was found on its roof at the end of the owner's shift because he parked at the front of the lot where he wasn't supposed to. 

I'm not saying you're wrong.  The point is there are other reasons, other than employee discount, to buy a product if you work for a certain automanufacturer especially at the plant.  It's not that vandalism is condoned.  It happens though.  I have other friends and cousins who work for Motorola and Nokia and if they were found with a competitor's phone at work, that was a big big no no.  You might get fired.  Seriously.

CaminoRacer

Lucky for my brother the IT offices in Phoenix didn't give a crap what people drove. Probably because it wasn't Detroit and the workers were all nerds instead of factory UAW guys
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2018, 02:07:36 PM
Lucky for my brother the IT offices in Phoenix didn't give a crap what people drove. Probably because it wasn't Detroit and the workers were all nerds instead of factory UAW guys

The level of immaturity some people possess when it comes to their automotive brand loyalty blows my mind.

YOU FUCKIN' GAY ASS PUSSY, YOU DRIVE A CHEVY?!  CALL ME WHEN YOU GET STUCK YA QUEER!  I'LL PULL YOU OUT WITH MY DODGE!

CaminoRacer

Soup DeVille

Well, its frowned on at most big three plants; not because they're more tolerant than they were, but because they'd rather have official rules being enforced rather than cause issues because of vandalism. They won't hesitate to tow you- and if the car is damaged in transit, well that's between you and the towing company. Don't involve GM in that.

Motorola, which I worked at as a contractor briefly, was really weird about that stuff.

Reminds me of the stories of the town where Puma and Adidas were both founded: and people would look at each others' shoes before deciding how to greet each other.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2018, 02:10:23 PM
CUMMINS

DON'T YOU KNOW "CUMMINS" IS JUST SLANG FOR GAY PEOPLE TO "CUMMINSIDE YOUR ASS?!"

CaminoRacer

AND FORD GUY IS GONNA POWERSTROKE IN DAT ASS

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2018, 02:13:24 PM
AND FORD GUY IS GONNA POWERSTROKE IN DAT ASS

HAH. FAAAAAG!

On the toilet at the shop, there's a sticker of a toilet labeled "Chevy" with a Ford car going into it and it says "Flush Once."  :facepalm:

Soup DeVille

You wanna shut both of them up?

Show them how oil and drip free the front of the engine and the oil pan on your 200,000 mile Toyota is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2018, 02:20:18 PM
You wanna shut both of them up?

Show them how oil and drip free the front of the engine and the oil pan on your 200,000 mile Toyota is.

Yeahhhh I don't get into those arguments.  I make wise decisions and buy vehicles that last so I don't have to argue about which will break first. :lol:

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2018, 02:15:17 PM
HAH. FAAAAAG!

On the toilet at the shop, there's a sticker of a toilet labeled "Chevy" with a Ford car going into it and it says "Flush Once."  :facepalm:

You wanna tow a big load? Drive a Chevy.

You wanna swallow a big load? Drive a Ford.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2018, 02:15:17 PM
HAH. FAAAAAG!

Honestly it would be better if it said "don't flush"
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2018, 02:11:10 PM
Well, its frowned on at most big three plants; not because they're more tolerant than they were, but because they'd rather have official rules being enforced rather than cause issues because of vandalism. They won't hesitate to tow you- and if the car is damaged in transit, well that's between you and the towing company. Don't involve GM in that.

Motorola, which I worked at as a contractor briefly, was really weird about that stuff.

Reminds me of the stories of the town where Puma and Adidas were both founded: and people would look at each others' shoes before deciding how to greet each other.

I used to work for Potbelly corporate and bringing in a Subway sub into the office was a huge "no no".  These kinds of brand loyalty happen in every industry.

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on October 30, 2018, 11:59:34 AM
I used to work for Potbelly corporate and bringing in a Subway sub into the office was a huge "no no".  These kinds of brand loyalty happen in every industry.

Bah, that just smells of insecurity.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Honda's really funny about it, but I've learned a lot of the "comeptirors hazing" is usually mostly emblishment combined with urban legends.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 2o6 on October 30, 2018, 01:50:40 PM
Honda's really funny about it, but I've learned a lot of the "comeptirors hazing" is usually mostly emblishment combined with urban legends.

When my brother started at Subaru they didn't seem to care. The employee discount is so good though that it is hard to pass up unless you REALLY like the competitor car a lot better. If I was buying tomorrow I would probably just get the WRX over my Golf just because of how much money I would save.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Xer0 on October 30, 2018, 11:59:34 AM

Same rule at the last ad agency I worked for (one of Subway's partner agencies) - heaven forbid you're the new guy who brought in some Jimmy Johns.
Funny enough, when the franchise owners dropped in and had lunch they never ordered Subway themselves. They'd get catering from a fast casual restaurant. So when even THEY won't eat their own food....

Laconian

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2018, 04:16:55 PM
I've mused that Musk must be fueled by Ambien.

BOOM

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/05/elon-musk-on-working-120-hours-a-week-youll-go-bonkers.html

Later in August, in conversation with the New York Times, Musk reported using prescription sleep medication Ambien to sleep.

"Yeah. It's not like for fun or something," Musk told Swisher Wednesday. "If you're super stressed, you can't go to sleep. You either have a choice of, like, okay, I'll have zero sleep and then my brain won't work tomorrow, or you're gonna take some kind of sleep medication to fall asleep."

MrH

Everyone's known he takes Ambien for a long time :confused:

He tweets about taking ambien with wine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

12,000 RPM

SEC spanking aside, looks like the madness was worth it. If they repeat for Q4, bye bye shorts
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

At Willow Springs, Randy Pobst set a time of 1:21.49 in a Model 3 with a performance package. He beat the time he set in an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, and Ferrari 458 Italia, and matched his Cayman GT4 time.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on November 08, 2018, 06:14:39 PM
At Willow Springs, Randy Pobst set a time of 1:21.49 in a Model 3 with a performance package. He beat the time he set in an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, and Ferrari 458 Italia, and matched his Cayman GT4 time.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

Wow, that's astonishing. Ferrari needs to make an EV of their own, now. This cannot stand.

BimmerM3

I saw a Model 3 do a full throttle launch from a stop light a few weeks ago. It's crazy to see something accelerate that fast with so little noise.

12,000 RPM

Wow, that's incredible. What's even cooler to me is Tesla's relentless approach to improvement. A company like BMW would take years to address such shortcomings, and they wouldn't be transparent about it at all.

Still don't like the egg head greenhouse. They need a Model 3 "4 door coupe".
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 09, 2018, 05:59:57 AM
Wow, that's incredible. What's even cooler to me is Tesla's relentless approach to improvement. A company like BMW would take years to address such shortcomings, and they wouldn't be transparent about it at all.

Still don't like the egg head greenhouse. They need a Model 3 "4 door coupe".

They should work on paint quality.  Even brand new model 3's look like someone gave them a once over with a can of Rustolium.  I don't know what it is, but the paint jobs on them look pretty poor.  No software update for that.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 09, 2018, 09:43:15 AM
They should work on paint quality.  Even brand new model 3's look like someone gave them a once over with a can of Rustolium.  I don't know what it is, but the paint jobs on them look pretty poor.  No software update for that.

Lots of posts on the interwebs about Teslas being delivered with not insignificant scratches and shit, too.  Some people refuse to take delivery until it's fixed, often requiring Tesla to take the car back and either re-paint the whole car or give the customer a different one entirely.  Haven't seen many pictures, but I haven't dug too deep.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 09, 2018, 10:03:49 AM
Lots of posts on the interwebs about Teslas being delivered with not insignificant scratches and shit, too.  Some people refuse to take delivery until it's fixed, often requiring Tesla to take the car back and either re-paint the whole car or give the customer a different one entirely.  Haven't seen many pictures, but I haven't dug too deep.

Probably ones that sat in those random lots in CA for months.

MX793

Quote from: Submariner on November 09, 2018, 09:43:15 AM

Painted by robots.  Clearly, their programming is off.  Tesla probably developed their code from scratch rather than use existing stuff because DISRUPTING THE ESTABLISHMENT.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I thought panels were painted by dipping panels in big electrostatically charged buckets?