Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

SJ_GTI

I think I'd prefer an electric car for a daily driver, but I just don't trust Tesla enough to buy one of their cars and the Bolt is FWD. I am hoping one of the other mainstreamers introduce something electric, affordable, and AWD.

afty

The Mach-E or the VW ID3/4 might fit the bill.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm on board with electrics. I have an electric roto tiller.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2020, 03:01:59 PM

I can't wait for electric lawnmowers to become true alternatives to gas powered mowers. Would be great to not have to worry about filling up a gas can, refueling, or the loud crappy engines.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on May 28, 2020, 01:40:48 PM
The Mach-E or the VW ID3/4 might fit the bill.

I'd be interested in replacing my Bolt with a Mach-E in a few years.

I might have to rebadge it as a Fusion or Galaxy, though. Like Ford should have done in the first place.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2020, 03:01:59 PM

All my lawn stuff is electric (battery) minus my mower, which is a push reel. Glad to not have to deal with small gas engines.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2020, 03:31:10 PM

I might have to rebadge it as a Fusion or Galaxy, though. Like Ford should have done in the first place.

Lease for my Bolt expires in a year and a half.. I'm hoping there's something good by then.

MX793

See if you can find some Thunderbolt badges from the old Ranger Thunderbolt.  That's the name Ford should have given it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2020, 03:30:19 PM
I can't wait for electric lawnmowers to become true alternatives to gas powered mowers. Would be great to not have to worry about filling up a gas can, refueling, or the loud crappy engines.

They are for sale at your local home improvment store. But not for cheap. I think I paid less than $150 for my new gas push mower five years ago. It has been very reliable, depite intentional neglect. It has an Over Head Valve!

Eye of the Tiger

It's a MUSTANG. Call it a MUSTANG.

giant_mtb

I want to get a battery powered chain saw. Would be great for camping and clearing downed trees on trails. No engine and gas to deal with. If I had property to clear or actual trees to fell or something...not a chance, gas is the way to go.  But for light use...fuck it.  Just sucks that the batteries are so expensive...can get a decent 16" saw with one battery for like $250, but I want two batteries...which are easily $75 alone.

SJ_GTI

I've only ever owned an electric lawnmower (Black and Decker). I bought it when I bought my first house and I have been using it ever since, I think this is its ninth year.

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 28, 2020, 05:11:42 PM
I've only ever owned an electric lawnmower (Black and Decker). I bought it when I bought my first house and I have been using it ever since, I think this is its ninth year.

You should get a self mowing electric mower.. those seem cool.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on May 28, 2020, 05:25:29 PM

My lawn has too many obstacles for one of those, but radio controlled mower with a camera would be sweet. I would sit in my livingroom and mow the lawn.

Damn, that would be a sweet project. I should build one.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 28, 2020, 04:23:27 PM
I want to get a battery powered chain saw. Would be great for camping and clearing downed trees on trails. No engine and gas to deal with. If I had property to clear or actual trees to fell or something...not a chance, gas is the way to go.  But for light use...fuck it.  Just sucks that the batteries are so expensive...can get a decent 16" saw with one battery for like $250, but I want two batteries...which are easily $75 alone.
I have a 40V GreenWorks 16" chainsaw - bought it 2 1/2 years ago, & use it for the light work you describe. It works well - recommended.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

Quote from: NomisR on May 28, 2020, 05:25:29 PM

I don't mind doing it myself. Its a good excuse to get some exercise and some sun while listening to a podcast.

NomisR

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2020, 05:28:12 PM
My lawn has too many obstacles for one of those, but radio controlled mower with a camera would be sweet. I would sit in my livingroom and mow the lawn.

Damn, that would be a sweet project. I should build one.

I wonder if those allows phone control like with the vaccumes, but controlling it with a phone is still not as cool as a remote control though. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 29, 2020, 05:00:18 AM
I have a 40V GreenWorks 16" chainsaw - bought it 2 1/2 years ago, & use it for the light work you describe. It works well - recommended.

Probably the same one I saw on Amazon. $225 with a battery. Tempting.

Laconian

So what's the benefit of bulletproof steel on the Tesla? If you're supposedly trying to make the truck easy to manufacture and therefore cheap, you don't spec bulletproof steel.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

They haven't made anything yet except one ridiculous prototype.

They haven't thought of any of this yet haha
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2020, 11:35:33 AM
So what's the benefit of bulletproof steel on the Tesla? If you're supposedly trying to make the truck easy to manufacture and therefore cheap, you don't spec bulletproof steel.

Bcuz trux have 2 b tuff enuff to hit with a sledge hammer, dood. Else it aint cool.

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 29, 2020, 12:55:46 PM
Bcuz trux have 2 b tuff enuff to hit with a sledge hammer, dood. Else it aint cool.

They could've just used the same material as the Plasticar™ and it would've achieved the same effects for less. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2020, 11:35:33 AM

I'll try.

What they've done is make a self-supporting skin that takes a minimum amount of tooling to manufacture. its thick enough that it doesn't need a framework behind it, and its all straight lines sk there are no high-tonnage presses to make dies for- which is a huge development cost.

In other words, they're saving a ton on tooling costs, and they're eating thos savings in material costs and a high curb weight.

The bulletproof part is coincidence. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

^ great analysis, and my hunch too - just owing to manufacturing and design choices, the panels just happen to be "bullet proof" (but maybe only 9 mm, so minimally so) as a byproduct.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2020, 01:35:59 PM
I'll try.

What they've done is make a self-supporting skin that takes a minimum amount of tooling to manufacture. its thick enough that it doesn't need a framework behind it, and its all straight lines sk there are no high-tonnage presses to make dies for- which is a huge development cost.

In other words, they're saving a ton on tooling costs, and they're eating thos savings in material costs and a high curb weight.

The bulletproof part is coincidence. 

And here I was thinking that it was just Elon Musk taking a picture of a car he drew in kindergarten and said, I want to turn this into reality. 

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on May 29, 2020, 03:25:24 PM
And here I was thinking that it was just Elon Musk taking a picture of a car he drew in kindergarten and said, I want to turn this into reality. 

That's what I was thinking. Jay Leno asked Elon "why bulletproof" and Elon gave a non-answer of "why not, it's cool, it's badass". Jay had a disappointed expression on his face; the question was motivated by genuine curiosity, he wanted a real response. That's how I felt too.

giant_mtb

Elon is a painfully dull interviewee. He is so uninteresting.

r0tor

Why is bulletproof any more ridiculous then 700hp engines or offroad packages that will never be taken off a paved road?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on May 29, 2020, 03:44:15 PM
Why is bulletproof any more ridiculous then 700hp engines or offroad packages that will never be taken off a paved road?

Is that "in addition to," or "instead of?"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on May 29, 2020, 03:44:15 PM

They make a big point about the truck being extremely cheap: $36k starting price. It is a lot of truck for just $36k, so blowing a chunk of the constrained budget on extravagances like bulletproofing just seemed illogical.

But if bulletproofing is not the end in itself, and the body actually yields a net reduction in cost, then it makes more sense.