Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Rich

Picked up the Tesla today (not mine, it belongs to Ally)

I really enjoyed driving it around today. I get one month of "free" "full" self driving. I gave it a whirl on one stretch and it did ok. Similar stress to sitting in the passenger seat with a new driver.

I'll just stick with the cruise control.

The auto wipers did much better than on the test drive.

Lady was nice and toasty and I was nice and cool.

It was so quiet and comfortable.

The button turn signals were nowhere near as annoying as I thought they'd be. I'm sure it'll suck in the roundabouts

No wheels or doors fell off, so far reliability 10/10.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 11, 2024, 02:39:39 PMHe had to take over, but it's getting there. Interesting listening to the passengers.

I could drive as good or better when I was 12. It's really not that impressive. People are just wowed because they can stare at their phone or watch Netflix instead of paying attention to real life.

AutobahnSHO

Seen on a Model M this morning:
"I bought this before I knew Elon was nuts"
Will

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 11, 2024, 02:39:39 PMHe had to take over, but it's getting there. Interesting listening to the passengers.

I've driven for 20 years now, and haven't had an at fault accident.  It needs to be better than me to be a viable product.  It can't go a single drive without a dangerous disengagement.

It's a party trick and nothing more.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Quote from: Rich on May 11, 2024, 04:19:42 PMPicked up the Tesla today (not mine, it belongs to Ally)

I really enjoyed driving it around today. I get one month of "free" "full" self driving. I gave it a whirl on one stretch and it did ok. Similar stress to sitting in the passenger seat with a new driver.

I'll just stick with the cruise control.

The auto wipers did much better than on the test drive.

Lady was nice and toasty and I was nice and cool.

It was so quiet and comfortable.

The button turn signals were nowhere near as annoying as I thought they'd be. I'm sure it'll suck in the roundabouts

No wheels or doors fell off, so far reliability 10/10.

Let me be the first and so far only person to congratulate you on your new purchase.

I hope your Tesla provides you with miles and miles of happy (electric)motoring as mine has.

Once you get used to an EV going back to your ICE vehicle feels a bit archaic.

Rich

Quote from: 565 on May 23, 2024, 06:25:47 AMLet me be the first and so far only person to congratulate you on your new purchase rental.

I hope your Tesla provides you with miles and miles of happy (electric)motoring as mine has.

Once you get used to an EV going back to your ICE vehicle feels a bit archaic.

Fixed it for you

Thanks. It's been super relaxing to drive.

I've tried more of the full self driving and it's got some issues. It changes lanes at odd times.  for example when I need to exit soon it will move a lane to the left. It will camp out in the left lane with a car behind it and no one to the right. I don't think it recognizes no turn on red signs either. It doesn't use turn signals in roundabouts

Everything else has been fantastic. Actually driving it is serene and relaxing.

The windshield hasn't flown off, and the battery hasn't exploded so reliability is 10/10 so far

Morris Minor

Quote from: Rich on May 23, 2024, 07:44:29 AMFixed it for you

Thanks. It's been super relaxing to drive.

I've tried more of the full self driving and it's got some issues. It changes lanes at odd times.  for example when I need to exit soon it will move a lane to the left. It will camp out in the left lane with a car behind it and no one to the right. I don't think it recognizes no turn on red signs either. It doesn't use turn signals in roundabouts

Everything else has been fantastic. Actually driving it is serene and relaxing.

The windshield hasn't flown off, and the battery hasn't exploded so reliability is 10/10 so far
Do you know what version of FSD it's running? I've heard there's sometimes a disconnect between the navigation mapping they use and the bit that does the actual driving. An example was a guy who wanted to turn left down a road. The mapping they use (MapBox/Valhalla) was directing the car to turn right at the intersection then do a U-turn - crazy stuff. The self-driving piece ignored it and sat where it was supposed to be, in the lane waiting for the green left-turn arrow. Tesla's said it wants to go more proprietary: build its own maps using GPS data and info collected from the fleet.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

They use google maps too

I'm on FSD 12.something and 11 something for the car software.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on May 23, 2024, 07:44:29 AMThe windshield hasn't flown off, and the battery hasn't exploded so reliability is 10/10 so far

:lol:
Will

You cannot view this attachment.

So someone dragyed the new Model 3 Performance, 11.09 in the 1/4 mile and 122.99mph  so pretty much on identical with the new Ioniq 5 N, which costs about 13K more, and 20 grand more with incentives.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a60607212/2025-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-test/

Also just a tick behind a M3 Comp Xdrive for both ET and trap speed which stickers for about 2x more well equip.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a43389602/2023-bmw-m3-competition-xdrive-edition-50-jahre-by-the-numbers/

GoCougs

Hmmm. That 60' time doesn't equate. My lowly cretin-esque SQ5 posts 60' times of 1.76-1.79s (and it's a 12.4s @ 110 performer) and that is with a rather weak (low-ish boost) launch (otherwise I spin and then bog).

afty

Looks like a pretty typical 60 ft time for a Model 3 Performance. Here's a thread full of Dragy results and time slips: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/dedicated-m3-1-4-mile-slips-post-your-slips-videos-verified-dragy-gps-etc.288163/

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2024, 03:29:57 PMHmmm. That 60' time doesn't equate. My lowly cretin-esque SQ5 posts 60' times of 1.76-1.79s (and it's a 12.4s @ 110 performer) and that is with a rather weak (low-ish boost) launch (otherwise I spin and then bog).

That was a run in the rain.  Dry run is likely going to be even better ET and 60'

r0tor

Just a funny moment yesterday...

Driving along when suddenly from the backseat I hear "Daddy, what's that?!?!  It looks like junk!  Yuck"

I look over and she is pointing to a matte black CyberTruck... I just said to her "Yeah, your right honey... It does look like junk"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed