Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

veeman

I don't like the auto stop/start thing at all.  Thankfully none of my cars have it.  The only thing more annoying is eco mode in any non-hybrid car which is also often default on start up. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 17, 2017, 02:58:00 AM
It is, but if I stall the car (I learned you can't launch this thing in second gear), it'll automatically restart it for me.

My mom's 3-series has it and I absolutely hate the feature. I always turn it off.

A torquey diesel can't launch in 2nd? Lame.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Even brap truck could do that
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

What did the EXECUTIVE CLUB bring me?

...an Impala LT V6! I gotta say, GM did a pretty damn good job on this car. The engine sounds fantastic and pulls hard, the suspension is magic over potholes, the audio system is fantastic and there's very little road noise to muddy it up. It was either this or a Challenger, and I'm happy I picked the boat I did. I already drove a Challenger in 2007, that was enough!

My big beef with the Impala is the lifeless steering. No feedback or feel whatsoever. It's hard to do U-turns smoothly because the self-centering feels so synthetic.

This is my first time using any car with Android Auto. Interesting...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

I liked Android Auto in the Yukon we had, but there were some things that were a major pain in the ass.  Still better than using the GM nav and such
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2017, 09:24:21 PM
What did the EXECUTIVE CLUB bring me?

...an Impala LT V6! I gotta say, GM did a pretty damn good job on this car. The engine sounds fantastic and pulls hard, the suspension is magic over potholes, the audio system is fantastic and there's very little road noise to muddy it up. It was either this or a Challenger, and I'm happy I picked the boat I did. I already drove a Challenger in 2007, that was enough!

My big beef with the Impala is the lifeless steering. No feedback or feel whatsoever. It's hard to do U-turns smoothly because the self-centering feels so synthetic.

This is my first time using any car with Android Auto. Interesting...

How severely have you tested the acceleration and handling?  You've got to take it out for a real run and put it to the test, man.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

I love the new Impalas. Just a bit too big for my tastes.

Laconian

I had some good times with the V6 later in the evening, blasting through the scrubby/scenic foothills of the Santa Clara mountains. It pulls hard (with torque steer omg) and sounds fantastic. The gearbox is a bit reluctant to double-downshift. There's a two or three second lag as if the car is saying
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
OK, WASTE GAS ENABLED

And then it goes like a rocket. I really like GM's V6.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 23, 2017, 12:25:07 PM
I had some good times with the V6 later in the evening, blasting through the scrubby/scenic foothills of the Santa Clara mountains. It pulls hard (with torque steer omg) and sounds fantastic. The gearbox is a bit reluctant to double-downshift. There's a two or three second lag as if the car is saying
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
WASTE GAS? (Y/N) Y
OK, WASTE GAS ENABLED

And then it goes like a rocket. I really like GM's V6.

BAD ASS.... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

BimmerM3

I'm in a new Sonata this week. In the past it's mostly been Elantras, Souls, Versas, etc., so I'm pretty happy with it as far as rental cars go. When Hertz implemented the "Choose Your Own Car" thing at the Atlanta airport,  I think they started bumping me up a class of cars as well (i.e. I get to choose from the Gold aisle instead of the Class C aisle).

Still has vague steering, gutless engine, and slow-to-react transmission, though all a little better than the Elantra I had last time.

The aisle was mostly empty though, since I got in on a Thursday night and they hadn't had a chance to turn-over all of the business trip rentals that get returned earlier that night. Hopefully next time I'll have a bit of a better selection to choose from. I know I saw a Fusion in the Gold aisle once a few months ago, and I'd like to try out either a Malibu or an Impala.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 23, 2017, 08:49:19 PM
I'm in a new Sonata this week. In the past it's mostly been Elantras, Souls, Versas, etc., so I'm pretty happy with it as far as rental cars go. When Hertz implemented the "Choose Your Own Car" thing at the Atlanta airport,  I think they started bumping me up a class of cars as well (i.e. I get to choose from the Gold aisle instead of the Class C aisle).

Still has vague steering, gutless engine, and slow-to-react transmission, though all a little better than the Elantra I had last time.

The aisle was mostly empty though, since I got in on a Thursday night and they hadn't had a chance to turn-over all of the business trip rentals that get returned earlier that night. Hopefully next time I'll have a bit of a better selection to choose from. I know I saw a Fusion in the Gold aisle once a few months ago, and I'd like to try out either a Malibu or an Impala.

Refresh my memory - what do you drive at home?

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on May 23, 2017, 08:56:53 PM
Refresh my memory - what do you drive at home?

You must have sigs turned off. :lol:

2008 Honda S2000 and 2006 Ford Explorer

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 23, 2017, 09:31:39 PM

You must have sigs turned off. :lol:

2008 Honda S2000 and 2006 Ford Explorer

Duh... :lol:

CaminoRacer

My dad sent me a picture of his rental this week - Camaro SS.

It has a great exhaust note, almost as good as the Hemi Challenger he had a week or two ago. Fun fact: apparently the 2SS trim includes a track-ready set of brake cooling thingys in the trunk, ready to replace the stock rotor dust shields. He says it also has a great LSD and does very long burnouts. :lol:

12,000 RPM

I finally got wifey's car to the shop... they gave me a '16 Civic.

Things I like about it are the chassis- Honda still gets it perfect out of the box- and the CVT. Interior is pretty nice for the price and road noise is low for a Honda. Fuel economy is impressive too; 35 MPG on my drive on with my heavy foot.

Only gripes... steering has no feel, and the engine could def use more power. I imagine the 1.5T versions being really good, like a Honda version of the Golf TSI. I'm a big fan of CVTs for the street
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

The CVT is good? Interesting

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 24, 2017, 11:21:15 AM
The CVT is good? Interesting

I've driven modern Honda CVT autos, they are really good.

BimmerM3

I need to drive a non-Nissan CVT.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 24, 2017, 11:26:41 AM
I need to drive a non-Nissan CVT.

I think Nissan CVT's are better with the bigger engines. The 1.6L and 1.8L and 2.5L in the Versa, Sentra, Altima are dour units and they feel like ass when you have to wind them up. And the 1.6 and 1.8L are so slow, that you're doing it all the time.

I quite like the CVT auto combo with the V6 motors.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on May 24, 2017, 11:29:52 AM
I think Nissan CVT's are better with the bigger engines. The 1.6L and 1.8L and 2.5L in the Versa, Sentra, Altima are dour units and they feel like ass when you have to wind them up. And the 1.6 and 1.8L are so slow, that you're doing it all the time.

I quite like the CVT auto combo with the V6 motors.

Agree that the CVT is quite good in the Maxima (at least previous generation). The Honda CVT is exceptional though.

12,000 RPM

CVTs are great... with enough power for the application. That is why they are so shite in small cars. I prefer the Maxima CVT to the 7AT in the G.... not once did I feel like I ever needed paddles or w/e in the Max, and in sport mode the transmission + throttle curve was almost too aggressive. That CVT juiced the hell out of that motor and got decent gas mileage too.

Xer0

Has anyone had any experience with Turo?  I just discovered it and figured it would be a great way to test out possible new car choices.  For those that don't know, it's like Uber for car rentals; you rent out private cars.  Anyway, first rental was a 2003 S2000.

This is my affordable dream car, so I was afraid I would end up being dissapointed.  I was worried for nothing.  The steering is fantastic, no slack anywhere.  This was an AP1, so it was undertired and oversteered on command.  The transmission took a bit of getting used to since the engagement point is right at the beginning but it has so much travel, but it became second nature in an instant.  Then there's the engine.  It's not underpowered at all and no mater how much you ring it, there's always another 3000 RPM to play with.  I can't tell you the number of times I thought I was approaching redline only look down and see I'm only at like 6500.  Plus I finally get convertibles.  The S2000 is a permanent fixture on the car search going forward.

I'm planning on renting a few C7s I see on there next.

68_427

I've never heard anyone have a bad experience using Turo
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on May 26, 2017, 10:24:54 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Turo?  I just discovered it and figured it would be a great way to test out possible new car choices.  For those that don't know, it's like Uber for car rentals; you rent out private cars.  Anyway, first rental was a 2003 S2000.

This is my affordable dream car, so I was afraid I would end up being dissapointed.  I was worried for nothing.  The steering is fantastic, no slack anywhere.  This was an AP1, so it was undertired and oversteered on command.  The transmission took a bit of getting used to since the engagement point is right at the beginning but it has so much travel, but it became second nature in an instant.  Then there's the engine.  It's not underpowered at all and no mater how much you ring it, there's always another 3000 RPM to play with.  I can't tell you the number of times I thought I was approaching redline only look down and see I'm only at like 6500.  Plus I finally get convertibles.  The S2000 is a permanent fixture on the car search going forward.

I'm planning on renting a few C7s I see on there next.

S2000 world take over! :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Xer0 on May 26, 2017, 10:24:54 AM
  Plus I finally get convertibles. 

:rockon:

Safer than motorcycle, and no helmet needed!  :mrcool:
Will

giant_mtb

I've only experienced a convertible like...once?  I think?  350Z, I do believe it was.  I was like 14.  Never driven one.  I bet it's magical, though.  I know how awesome open air feels.

MrH

Yeah, it's pretty great.  But then I drive a go kart, and it's even better.  I really want an exocet.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 29, 2017, 05:53:41 PM
I've only experienced a convertible like...once?  I think?  350Z, I do believe it was.  I was like 14.  Never driven one.  I bet it's magical, though.  I know how awesome open air feels.
This is why I motorcycle... can't get more open air than that

68_427

Besides being completely covered in gear lol
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Steering on the new Civic is sublime. Why can't Honda build a damn RWD sedan