Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Submariner

Kia Sportage in Denver.

It had the most god awful seats I've ever experienced in a road vehicle.  All four of us were complaining about how uncomfortable they were no later than half way between Denver and Colorado Springs.  I had a shooting pain up my leg after only an hour and a half.

Also, the cruise control accelerated, uncommanded, on two occasions.  Luckily the Kia's acceleration can be measured in epochs, so it wasn't a dangerous flaw, only a minor annoyance.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on August 15, 2018, 05:03:55 PM
My friend just rented a 2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack with Recaros and 10spd he fucking loved it..  He booked "Mustang GT"
I want to keep a boring car and rent those kinds of cars for like 2 weeks at a time just for the fuck of it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Don't they have strict mileage limits?  (renting Mustang GTs and the like). I don't think they're unlimited like most other rentals, especially from an airport.

12,000 RPM

I could drive my regular car to keep the miles off. Don't need to own a car to experience it. It's just too bad there aren't more choices to rent. I'd want to try something like a Miata or FR-S for a week or two. Maybe a month

68_427

Quote from: veeman on August 16, 2018, 05:55:43 AM
Don't they have strict mileage limits?  (renting Mustang GTs and the like). I don't think they're unlimited like most other rentals, especially from an airport.

IIRC my friend had unlimited mileage.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 16, 2018, 06:30:39 AM
I could drive my regular car to keep the miles off. Don't need to own a car to experience it. It's just too bad there aren't more choices to rent. I'd want to try something like a Miata or FR-S for a week or two. Maybe a month

Turo
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Xer0

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 16, 2018, 10:55:50 AM
Turo

I love me some Turo.  I'm eyeing a GT350 but not sure if I can justify 250 a day for one  :violin:

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 16, 2018, 11:55:49 AM
Nothing here....

Bro a couple months ago there was a GT350 on Turo in Charlotte.  It was black and for less than $300 a day
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Flying into the Bay Area late on a Monday.

I will definitely be stuck with the dregs. Will they bump me up to a nicer car than I deserve, or will I be driving a creepy RAM VAN for the duration of my business trip?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Repeated from the Driven Today Thread: (why I posted it there instead of here... I don't know :facepalm:)

Not driven 'today', but driven every day for the past week: brand new Toyota 4Runner SR5. I had reserved a "Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)" to make it easier to haul some stuff around for my sister's wedding and to shuttle my parents and other relatives around the Washington, DC area. Instead I got the 4Runner, which was so tall it was much more impractical than a midsized sedan or something like that.

If your intended purpose is to do some mild offroading the 4Runner felt like it would be more than competent. For everything else it was 'okay': 'okay' ride and handling, 'okay' power, etc. The worst thing about it is how much of a pig on gas it is. I drove a couple hundred miles over the course of the week and went through about 5/8 of a tank.

Oh, and I'm in Phoenix now, and rented an Audi A4 S-line for 10 days. :lol:

Really nice car so far. Far, far better than a Mercedes-Benz CLA250 4Matic, which was on offer by one of the other rental agencies for about the same money.

Laconian

An A4? How the fuck did you get that car? What company is this? How much are you paying?

93JC

https://www.silvercar.com/   :)

I'm paying about $59/day.

Laconian

After taxes, or before? That is a bit more than I pay, so I guess that's why I'm in Malibus and you're in Audis.

Laconian

Bah, no Silvercar at San Jose Airport.

Not worth it to deal with the SFO nightmare for an A4.

93JC

Before taxes. All told the 10-day cost is $800-850.

2o6

I have a new Impreza for $18 a day.

Full review soon.

I don't like it.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 2o6 on October 12, 2018, 01:51:09 PM
I have a new Impreza for $18 a day.

Full review soon.

I don't like it.

From the outside, they look like they'd be offensively bland to drive

Laconian

Your membership in the Gay Agenda is hereby revoked.

Please turn in your badge and your pink pistol.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on October 12, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
Before taxes. All told the 10-day cost is $800-850.
Hope you got your money's worth.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 12, 2018, 02:42:16 PM
Your membership in the Gay Agenda is hereby revoked.

Please turn in your badge and your pink pistol.

We've talked about this; Gays drive VW Jettas.

Laconian

(glances at Subaru keyfob)

2o6

AutobahnSHO

Lols.

I imagine unless you need better weather capability the Impreza is pretty bland compared to the cars you drive.
Will

giant_mtb

Most newer Subarus I've driven are indeed bland to drive. They're not really touted as drivers' cars besides the WRX or STi, so it's not that bigga deal. I'm generally okay with bland in a basic DD.  I mean, I DD a Taco, so pretty much any car ends up feeling like a tight race car by comparison. 

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 12, 2018, 02:44:39 PM
Hope you got your money's worth.

The comfort of knowing exactly what I'm getting is great, which as I said about my rental in DC earlier this week was a pain in the ass when I got something far bigger than I wanted.

The Audi also includes nav (which one usually had to pay extra for, of course) and a WiFi hotspot, which makes it very easy to get around. It's fully loaded; a very nice drive. If I needed a car seat or a ski rack they'd throw it in for no additional cost.

93JC

Oh and the cost for the 4Runner was about $470 (US) for a week.

2o6

My Impreza was $128 for four days. It was a goddamn STEAL. Especially since I fully expected to get stuck with a Mirage.

TBR

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on October 12, 2018, 12:28:34 PM
https://www.silvercar.com/   :)

I'm paying about $59/day.
I need a rental car on Monday, so I checked them out. It's pretty neat that I can pick up an A4/Q5 for the price of an economy car out of the Newark, NJ airport.

Unfortunately, I need a one-way rental, so I ended up booking a regular economy car. :(
@heelntoe