Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

AutobahnSHO

Rode in a rented Sentra yesterday. Decent plebian transportation. Friend renting it is in town for work, was originally given a Versa. He said it pulled really hard to the right if you weren't manhandling it to center so he took it back. Said Versas are horrible power-wise too.

He travels a lot for business- says the Corollas, Sonatas, Sentras he's rented are all decent. He liked the Impreza, few months ago and it was snowing bad that week. His first time driving on snow. And one time he opted up for the Fusion Hybrid and really liked it. (He owns a '15 Cherokee for reference.)
Will

Rich

I have a 2016 Camaro V6 8AT for a month

Structure is hnnggggg
Engine note is hngggggggg
Ergonomics are good

Steering is so numb but accurate
Rear 3/4 Blind spots are putrid
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

The V6 sounds pretty sweet, doesn't it??

The Camaro I rented was a convertible, and oh boy, the blindspots with the top up are even worse than the soft top. The car is really flexy too, with bits of the interior plastic crackling and popping like a deflated plastic water bottle being manhandled.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on April 27, 2017, 07:30:19 PM
Was in Palm Springs for a week.  Rented an economy car and at the counter asked if they had any specials on coups like a Camaro or Mustang.  Hertz guy said they were out but they do have a MB SLK convertible.  I said nahhh, that'll be too much.  He said to hold on and I may be surprised.  $75 extra total for 4 days.  Hot damn!  So I took it.

This is my favorite rental car ever.  Putting it in Sport mode, I don't miss a manual transmission.  Power is immediate and plenty.  Low parking lot speeds, Sport mode makes the car very jumpy but once on the open road, it's a blast.  Looks great, canyon carver (relative to anything I've ever owned), slick top operation, not very fuel thirsty. 

I want this car.  Too bad Northeastern US roads are not like in Palm Springs.  I haven't seen a single pot hole yet here.  Also I need a backseat at home.  Fun fun week though here.

That's a dream car for a rental.  Last time I rented a car, I got a Mustang.  Nice car that I really enjoyed driving, like an old fashioned muscle car.  Totally different from my own car, but fun.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Vinsanity

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 30, 2017, 06:40:08 PM
Rode in a rented Sentra yesterday. Decent plebian transportation. Friend renting it is in town for work, was originally given a Versa. He said it pulled really hard to the right if you weren't manhandling it to center so he took it back. Said Versas are horrible power-wise too.

The last rental car I drove was a Sentra. While it did absolutely nothing wrong (it was actually quite roomy and fuel efficient), man was it a depressing car to drive. This was during a vacation on the stunning island of Maui, and the car still made me think of rat-race commutes to cubicle jobs in offices with fluorescent lighting. I guess it's motivation to pursue something other than the rat race.

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 14, 2017, 11:37:44 PM
The last rental car I drove was a Sentra. While it did absolutely nothing wrong (it was actually quite roomy and fuel efficient), man was it a depressing car to drive. This was during a vacation on the stunning island of Maui, and the car still made me think of rat-race commutes to cubicle jobs in offices with fluorescent lighting. I guess it's motivation to pursue something other than the rat race.

coulda had something like this

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/hi/paia/mercedes-benz-380sl/268206?s=ruPw05jF

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

We're actually booking cars for our honeymoon now.  I should look into Turo.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2017, 06:55:47 AM
We're actually booking cars for our honeymoon now.  I should look into Turo.
I've only heard positive reviews
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Me and my parents are in the UK and we rented a new Passat diesel wagon. It's a terrific car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

It does have this strange feature where it restarts itself when it stalls, and the auto hold feature is a bit overzealous. It's a great high speed cruiser, the diesel motor has a ton of midrange, and it has a really nice interior

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

I'm going to rent an EXECUTIVE(TM) car from National next week!

What will it be? A Buick? A Chrysler 300? (swoon)

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2017, 03:17:12 PM

You get to walk the isle and choose.  Don't let us down.  Ecoboost F150
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 16, 2017, 03:17:09 PM
It does have this strange feature where it restarts itself when it stalls, and the auto hold feature is a bit overzealous. It's a great high speed cruiser, the diesel motor has a ton of midrange, and it has a really nice interior
Is that not the STOP/START feature?  The engine shuts down when you stop and restarts when you release the brake.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 16, 2017, 05:07:56 PM
Is that not the STOP/START feature?  The engine shuts down when you stop and restarts when you release the brake.

Probably.  My car has that but I overrode it.  It drives me crazy.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2017, 03:17:12 PM

Is this your vacation or a business trip?

Laconian

Business. Strip mall runabout, basically.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2017, 05:22:29 PM
Business. Strip mall runabout, basically.

Where are you going?

Laconian

:hesaid:

Every Euro car I've driven in the past 5 years has that feature. It's an easy way to cut emissions. Diesel idling is hell on cities, so much soot.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2017, 05:23:32 PM
:hesaid:

Every Euro car I've driven in the past 5 years has that feature. It's an easy way to cut emissions. Diesel idling is hell on cities, so much soot.
Our new car has that feature.  I don't like it but, fortunately, there's a button that deactivates it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Are you rewarded with a big ol' "START STOP DISABLED" idiot light in your face?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2017, 05:33:44 PM
Are you rewarded with a big ol' "START STOP DISABLED" idiot light in your face?
No, there is just a discreet mention and then it disappears.  Very hush-hush.

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on May 16, 2017, 05:18:10 PM

Does it come back on when you restart the car? Or does it stay off?

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on May 15, 2017, 02:39:23 AM
coulda had something like this

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/hi/paia/mercedes-benz-380sl/268206?s=ruPw05jF

That would've been lovely for the drive along the Hana Highway. Though I would be nervous as fuck driving someone else's classic car on that narrow ass road.

CALL_911

It is, but if I stall the car (I learned you can't launch this thing in second gear), it'll automatically restart it for me.

My mom's 3-series has it and I absolutely hate the feature. I always turn it off.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 16, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
Does it come back on when you restart the car? Or does it stay off?

It stays off.

Rich

This engine tho.

Man if I could get this V6 in an ATS with a stick, I'd be running around town with cash in my hand trying to buy one.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on May 17, 2017, 03:56:47 AM
It stays off.

Well that's good. Unfortunately, mine defaults to active everytime the car restarts. At this point, I'd rather deal with it than have to press the button every time. I'm especially annoyed, though, when it shuts off for a brief second after I stop at a red light and the light turns green again immediately after.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 17, 2017, 07:09:52 PM
Well that's good. Unfortunately, mine defaults to active everytime the car restarts. At this point, I'd rather deal with it than have to press the button every time. I'm especially annoyed, though, when it shuts off for a brief second after I stop at a red light and the light turns green again immediately after.
I'm in the habit of pushing 2 buttons when I start my car; the 2nd one turns off the STOP/START feature.  It's so automatic now, that I don't even think about it.

veeman

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 17, 2017, 02:58:00 AM
It is, but if I stall the car (I learned you can't launch this thing in second gear), it'll automatically restart it for me.

My mom's 3-series has it and I absolutely hate the feature. I always turn it off.

The Passat Diesel wagon your family has rented is a manual transmission?  That's cool. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on May 16, 2017, 05:18:10 PM

Is there a trick to getting it to stay turned off in Audis? My dad doesn't like it on his new A4, and there's a button to turn it off, but it automatically turns back on the next time you drive the car.