Sporty G37 thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 14, 2017, 07:19:57 PM

Rich

Michelin Pilot Sports all the way
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: Rich on March 21, 2017, 12:04:03 PM
Michelin Pilot Sports all the way

Or the new Continental ExtremeContact Sports, which reviews indicate are a match to the MPSS but significantly less money.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2017, 12:18:10 PM
Or the new Continental ExtremeContact Sports, which reviews indicate are a match to the MPSS but significantly less money.

Interesting. I was considering getting the Pilot Sports after my the Continentals on my Golf are worn out. I have never been fond of continental tires I have had in the past (GTI had them). If Michelins were too expensive I was going to go with Pirelli P-Zeroes.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 21, 2017, 12:46:01 PM
Interesting. I was considering getting the Pilot Sports after my the Continentals on my Golf are worn out. I have never been fond of continental tires I have had in the past (GTI had them). If Michelins were too expensive I was going to go with Pirelli P-Zeroes.

PZeros aren't worth the money.  They are rated just about the worst in their segment in every comparison I've ever seen.  Tire Rack's comparo put them no better than mid pack in any category and, while cheaper than PSS, they are still among the more expensive options.  Tread life is also near the bottom of the segment.

The PS4 is going to be replacing the PSS this year.  Might be able to get a deal on the PSS.  The ExtremeContact Sport has been getting good early reviews, but I haven't seen a head to head with the PSS.  The tread pattern looks like a near copy of the PSS, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I need all seasons

I like the PR4s on my bike for whatever that's worth
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
PZeros aren't worth the money.  They are rated just about the worst in their segment in every comparison I've ever seen.  Tire Rack's comparo put them no better than mid pack in any category and, while cheaper than PSS, they are still among the more expensive options.  Tread life is also near the bottom of the segment.

The PS4 is going to be replacing the PSS this year.  Might be able to get a deal on the PSS.  The ExtremeContact Sport has been getting good early reviews, but I haven't seen a head to head with the PSS.  The tread pattern looks like a near copy of the PSS, though.

I have always liked the PZeroes. Granted I am not tracking them, just looking for a sufficiently sticky tire that also rides reasonably well. I'll have to check which tires I have when I get home. My current summer tires are Continental but I don't think they are the ones you mentioned.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2017, 01:57:20 PM
I need all seasons

I like the PR4s on my bike for whatever that's worth

Just out of curiosity, why the need for all seasons...? I would assume your weather is more mild than mine. I would think worst case you would use summers ~March-November and then run all seasons Dec-Feb.

FWIW I am planning to put my summer wheels/tires on this weekend.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 21, 2017, 02:13:59 PM
I have always liked the PZeroes. Granted I am not tracking them, just looking for a sufficiently sticky tire that also rides reasonably well. I'll have to check which tires I have when I get home. My current summer tires are Continental but I don't think they are the ones you mentioned.

The EC Sports just came out late last year.  You probably have the predecessor (DW, I think), which reviews say are average.  They have kind of a blocky tread, so I expect the are a little squirmy feeling with softer response than a PSS or PZero.  They are supposed to be really good in the rain, though.

Taken in a vacuum, the PZero isn't a bad tire.  I was generally satisfied with the grip, though I thought wet grip was a little lacking.  Taking into consideration the fairly high price and poor treadwear, I have no intention of replacing mine with another set.  If they were cheaper or lasted longer, maybe, but they are second to the Michelins in price, have nearly the worst treadwear in the segment, and are merely average in grip.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 21, 2017, 02:15:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, why the need for all seasons...? I would assume your weather is more mild than mine. I would think worst case you would use summers ~March-November and then run all seasons Dec-Feb.

FWIW I am planning to put my summer wheels/tires on this weekend.
I only wanna run 1 set of wheels... I'd either sell the current ones for 19s or keep the current ones with spacers

Plus I dont wanna give up space in my house/garage for a set of street tires.

r0tor

I don't think I've ever seen a set of koni yellows go more to a few years before they leak
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2017, 02:49:49 PM
The EC Sports just came out late last year.  You probably have the predecessor (DW, I think), which reviews say are average.  They have kind of a blocky tread, so I expect the are a little squirmy feeling with softer response than a PSS or PZero.  They are supposed to be really good in the rain, though.

I checked, they are Contisportcontacts, same as what I had on my GTI IIRC. I'll have to check out the Extremecontact Sports. If they are generally considered very good while being cheaper than PSS I wouldn't mind saving some money.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 21, 2017, 07:26:00 PM
I checked, they are Contisportcontacts, same as what I had on my GTI IIRC. I'll have to check out the Extremecontact Sports. If they are generally considered very good while being cheaper than PSS I wouldn't mind saving some money.

Oh, yeah, the Contisportcontacts are rated pretty poorly.  I think TireRack has them down about on par with, or slightly worse than, the P Zero.  The ExtremeContact DWs have been around a while and have pretty favorable reviews.  Generally fell a little short of the PSS save in wet performance and hydroplane resistance.  I did see a review comparing the new ExtremeContact Sport with the old ExtremeContact DW and they said that the new Sport tire is better with sharper responses.  Also holds up better to hard driving on a track, which would quickly chew up a DW's blocky outside shoulder tread.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

At least for my sizes, I think they're about $40 a tire less than the PSS (so that's ~20%).
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2017, 05:27:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a set of koni yellows go more to a few years before they leak
A few years would be better than the few months my coilovers gave me. Plus I think Koni has a lifetime warranty. You've been hating this whole thread... You triggered mate?

12,000 RPM

I have the DWS06s on my Civic. Highly recommend them. The car handles like it's on rails, gives great feedback and is pretty good in the snow and rain. SJ doesn't track his cars so they should be fine. Honestly would probably make a set of summer wheels redundant

Raza

Sporty:  I love having a quiet, comfortable car to drive to work in.
Sporty, 10 seconds later: I want to lower it.
Sporty in a week: Coilovers.
Sporty in 6 months: This car is too harsh. 
Sporty in a year: Guys, I bought another Accord.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2017, 12:18:10 PM

Pilot Sports are so overpriced, that's not hard to believe. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2017, 10:38:00 PM

:clap:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2017, 10:38:00 PM

Harshness wasn't the problem with the Civic.... asthmatic performance in the summer and a near complete lack of refinement were. Coilovers don't increase wind noise or the like. My Maxima on coils was dead quiet even on shitty NYC streets.

Plus I'm getting springs and shocks, not coilovers

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2017, 09:22:45 PM
I have the DWS06s on my Civic. Highly recommend them. The car handles like it's on rails, gives great feedback and is pretty good in the snow and rain. SJ doesn't track his cars so they should be fine. Honestly would probably make a set of summer wheels redundant

I loved my DWS/DWS06s until I got the Sport Comp 2 all seasons. The stiffer sidewall improved responsiveness without killing ride quality. The only downside is potentially (slightly) worse snow performance, but I haven't had any problems in bad weather.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 20, 2017, 12:58:21 PM
First commute. Jesus Christ. If this thing isn't as fast as the bike it's damn close.

wat
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

r0tor

Every Continental tire I have ever seen or owner has a huge stack of weights on the wheels... I think their quality is fairly suspect
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2017, 09:18:21 PM
A few years would be better than the few months my coilovers gave me. Plus I think Koni has a lifetime warranty. You've been hating this whole thread... You triggered mate?

Thought I was providing useful info.... I can easily stop

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2017, 02:36:08 PM
Every Continental tire I have ever seen or owner has a huge stack of weights on the wheels... I think their quality is fairly suspect

This is true in my experience as well.  Was very impressed by my Bridgestones.  Not one weight was needed on the entire car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2017, 02:36:08 PM
Civic wheels are balanced up to 110 mph... Your input is no longer required

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on March 22, 2017, 02:42:33 PM
This is true in my experience as well.  Was very impressed by my Bridgestones.  Not one weight was needed on the entire car.

Same when I had Bridgestones and also my current Michelins on my car and Jeep.

There was a huge stack on my Mazda when I had the DW's, huge weight on the wife's OEM contis on the Focus, and  similar situation with 2 others I know of that had DWS's.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 22, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Civic wheels are balanced up to 110 mph... Your input is no longer required

Ok, I'll just add useless facts from now on like my Jeep gets better gas mileage then your car

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2017, 05:59:56 PM
Ok, I'll just add useless facts from now on like my Jeep gets better gas mileage then your car
What is your problem man.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 22, 2017, 06:13:56 PM
What is your problem man.

Oh, it gets better gas mileage while drinking 87 octane... Could probably cut your fuel bill by 25% by switching to a 4x4'ing SUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2017, 06:26:56 PM
Oh, it gets better gas mileage while drinking 87 octane... Could probably cut your fuel bill by 25% by switching to a 4x4'ing SUV
If I wanted good gas mileage the last thing I would have bought is a VQ equipped car :facepalm:

Go home, you're drunk, and it's pathetic.