Oh dear, I scratched my bumper.

Started by Morris Minor, March 17, 2017, 11:04:16 AM

Morris Minor

This is very annoying. Didn't pull the car in far enough so it got scraped by the garage door. Has anyone used one of those mobile touch-up/repair services? I really don't want to take it to a full service paint shop and spend hundreds.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

Do you have a random orbital buffer?  I'd buff what I could out and see what's left.  And for what's left just use touch up paint
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on March 17, 2017, 11:28:50 AM
Do you have a random orbital buffer?  I'd buff what I could out and see what's left.  And for what's left just use touch up paint

+1

Soup DeVille

Just take the bumper off and lag bolt a 4"x4" piece of tree corpse on there.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

I have not had good luck with touching-up metallic paint. At least the brush applicator variety. Do you mean a rattle can & flatting the coats back with wet-dry paper?

CaminoRacer

Better just Rhinoliner the whole car.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

FoMoJo

Did the garage door survive the event?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 17, 2017, 01:08:44 PM
I have not had good luck with touching-up metallic paint. At least the brush applicator variety. Do you mean a rattle can & flatting the coats back with wet-dry paper?

True, touching up metallic is a bit tougher to get it looking good. 

First step, though, is to buff it.  I think you'd be surprised how much of the scuffage would disappear with a good buff, even by hand.  You'd pretty much just be left with the black spots where the paint is totally gone.

You could go through the time/effort of masking/spraying/leveling, but with scratches like that, I'd rather just buff it and cover up the exposed plastic spots.  Hides better than a fresh square of masked paint work. 

shp4man

There are guys that specialize in that kind of repair- usually they work for car dealers. That looks like about $300-$400 bucks to me.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

I big MAGA bumper sticker would cover that right up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 17, 2017, 01:08:44 PM

Once you're done buffing it, all you'd be left with is a couple of super small what looks like pinhead size black spots to dab some touch up paint on
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

I think if I use gray primer in the  deeper gouges, followed by the touchup paint it should blend better.