Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 21, 2017, 03:21:41 PM
I did... I guess I shouldn't have given luxury buyers the benefit of the doubt. I didn't think people actually tied their self esteem and sense of worth to the badge on their car.

Nice fake innocent high horse + bullshit spewing there. I guarantee that you do things for status. All humans do. Even saying you "don't care" is posing. Like Jobs wearing a black sweater every day. Posing.

Status and hierarchy is genetically imprinted on us. Even Tibetan monks care who's the top monk.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

Buyers of $150k S-classes care about status. But this won't cost $120k and isn't targeted toward the brand prestige buyers. What's so hard to understand about that?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 21, 2017, 05:09:34 PM
Buyers of $150k S-classes care about status. But this won't cost $120k and isn't targeted toward the brand prestige buyers. What's so hard to understand about that?

Buyers of luxury goods in any price range care about status. Hyundai is separating this brand because it is targeting prestige buyers precisely.

It'll be a challenge that isn't impossible, just hard. We all know Lexus pulled it off (mostly only in the US however).

But my main beef is with the whole "status doesn't matter" bullshit.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 21, 2017, 04:40:05 PM
Nice fake innocent high horse + bullshit spewing there. I guarantee that you do things for status. All humans do. Even saying you "don't care" is posing. Like Jobs wearing a black sweater every day. Posing.

Status and hierarchy is genetically imprinted on us. Even Tibetan monks care who's the top monk.
Like what. What do I do for status. I bought my house because we wanted to raise a family in a safe neighborhood and a house we could grow into (wifey is about 6 weeks along BTW :muffin: ). I bought the G because I wanted a fast and comfortable commuter, though you saw how close I came to buying a HYUNDAI. I wear simple + cheap clothes. I use a cheap Chinese phone. I eat at restaurants based on how the food tastes, even if that means eating *gasp* fast food. Etc.

And there are degrees of it. Taking on the depreciation, added cost and unreliability of a German brand for no other reason than to impress people who either

- don't know you and don't give a shit about you
- know you, but judge you based on something as stupid as the car you drive

is a fool's errand IMO... and as I understand it, that's really all "status" boils down to. It's living for other people instead of yourself. SAD!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
                Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."  -Keats.

This can of course be interpreted many ways, but may apply to a Korean luxury car. Korean luxury car, is that an oxymoron?

CaminoRacer

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on April 21, 2017, 11:33:08 PM
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
                Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."  -Keats.

This can of course be interpreted many ways, but may apply to a Korean luxury car. Korean luxury car, is that an oxymoron?
Go test drive a Genesis and see. Hell, test drive the old Hyundai Genesis. I promise you will be impressed. I was.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 21, 2017, 11:40:36 PM
Congrats Sporty!
Thanks

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 21, 2017, 11:03:13 PM
Like what. What do I do for status. I bought my house because we wanted to raise a family in a safe neighborhood and a house we could grow into (wifey is about 6 weeks along BTW :muffin: ). I bought the G because I wanted a fast and comfortable commuter, though you saw how close I came to buying a HYUNDAI. I wear simple + cheap clothes. I use a cheap Chinese phone. I eat at restaurants based on how the food tastes, even if that means eating *gasp* fast food. Etc.

And there are degrees of it. Taking on the depreciation, added cost and unreliability of a German brand for no other reason than to impress people who either

is a fool's errand IMO... and as I understand it, that's really all "status" boils down to. It's living for other people instead of yourself. SAD!
Congratulations.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 21, 2017, 04:40:05 PM

A matter of degrees.  Some people care more than others. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Raza

Way to bury the lead!  Congratulations!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Congrats on the baby. That is fantastic news. Not in the mood to continue arguing after hearing that. Life intensifying news in my opinion.

I think you can live a happier life indeed the less you care about impressing others, so good for you. I also think however that status/hierarchy is a fact of human life and can be enjoyed/used in ones favour if approached with eyes wide open.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Thanks for the congrats guys. Some big decisions coming but I'll get into that as we're further along. Looking at things differently

AutobahnSHO

EVERYONE wants a status.

Even the way you are living is for your Own Personal Status. You feel good that you don't buy into the exact symbols others feel the need to achieve, but you are proud of your house, your conservativeness in car buying, the things you feel important and just bragged to us about are about YOUR status.

There are some people who feel good about bucking the norm and getting the least likely house/car or listening to the offbeat music and being "different".

They are right that people who want MB want it very much so because they have been told it's the thing rich people get- or the entry level cars wouldn't sell because there are better non-MB cars for the same price. MUCH of it is the badge,

Even the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis vs. Lexus/Infiniti is about the badge.

If badge status didn't matter, Lexus never would have sold, they were Camrys built on the same assembly line with the same motor/tranny/body and a nicer interior to begin with. They keep the lines separate even though they share drivetrains and sometimes the same size vehicles, because badges matter.

Same with Infiniti and Acura.

Just because your status isn't what others' status depends on doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. 
-And this isn't meant as a personal attack, just observation. My own personal status also depends on not caring that much what others think- I get made fun of regularly for my old minivan but it works for my situation and I know that it's far superior for my uses (and most of the people making fun of) than an SUV. So that's where my status comes from. Bragging about a $5k vehicle that I have spent virtually no money on maintenance on in 30k mileage and 2years since I bought it..  etc....
-some people would never get caught dead test driving or praising a Miata- simply based on the fact they are "girlie". Never mind they make so much sense for so many people.

Status and public perception.
Will

AutobahnSHO

(wifey is about 6 weeks along BTW :muffin: ).

Most sincere congratulations!  Kids are the best and hardest things in the world to deal with. :mrcool:
Will

Soup DeVille

Hector's right about the image thing, but image doesn't necessarily mean seeking higher status. It can be about projecting an image that says you don't care to play that game.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 22, 2017, 07:50:22 AM
Hector's right about the image thing, but image doesn't necessarily mean seeking higher status. It can be about projecting an image that says you don't care to play that game.

Or trying to boost your status with a fancier looking car for the same price as the mid level MB...

AutobahnSHO

And SOMETIMES people just want the best value for their money. :huh:
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2017, 07:23:28 AM
Thanks for the congrats guys. Some big decisions coming but I'll get into that as we're further along. Looking at things differently
Just wait till the baby pops out and you've got it in your arms.  Nothing in the world like it as far as life changing experiences, imo.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 22, 2017, 10:47:03 AM
Or trying to boost your status with a fancier looking car for the same price as the mid level MB...

Reminds me of the way people used to think of Buicks long ago; they were "Banker's cars." Bankers were supposed to be successful, but prudent. Cadillacs were too flashy and expensive. Chevies were too plain and common. The Buick was the "value Caddy," that wasn't too flashy, and not too plain.

The Genesis could very well be thought of as the same way; the prudent option compared to the Mercedes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 18, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
Trust me, a Genesis at any price point is way more luxurious than any equally priced German equivalent.

Meh.  If you want to buy a car that shamelessly copied the A8's interior with plastic-y feeling control surfaces, wood that feels like it came straight out of an 87' Fleetwood and generally mediocre build quality (relative to it's competitors) than no, it's not.

The G90 actually felt less competently-screwed together than the Lincoln Continental I sat in a few minutes before, which was rather shocking.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Oh, that's what everybody's congratulating Sporty for. I thought it was a sarcastic "congrats for being so above fashion", lawl.

Congrats! Babby forming!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on April 22, 2017, 12:23:46 PM
Meh.  If you want to buy a car that shamelessly copied the A8's interior with plastic-y feeling control surfaces, wood that feels like it came straight out of an 87' Fleetwood and generally mediocre build quality (relative to it's competitors) than no, it's not.

The G90 actually felt less competently-screwed together than the Lincoln Continental I sat in a few minutes before, which was rather shocking.
Bro we did not all grow up hunting pheasants out of the back of a Bentley shooting brake.... a G90 is a huge step up from my Civic. Genesis is luxury for people who don't know better, which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2017, 12:53:32 PM
Bro we did not all grow up hunting pheasants out of the back of a Bentley shooting brake.... a G90 is a huge step up from my Civic. Genesis is luxury for people who don't know better, which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Quail.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2017, 12:53:32 PM

Which is fine, but it feels like hack luxury - like some Mediterranean-themed banquet hall with a plug-in fountain in the lobby and a "continental buffet" for breakfast.  "Look at that big screen!  We need one of those!  And look at the seats in that A8!  lift em' straight out and stick them in here!"  There is an enormous difference between something that looks nice and something that feels it, and that is where the G90 falls woefully short.  I can only imagine how the chassis and driving dynamics line up relative to Lexus, Jaguar and the Germans if the most overt part of the car is a 2nd rate affair. 

2o6

shp4man

LOL, so Submariner, are you really a trust fund baby?  To the big buck degree these dudes say?
If so, welcome to the Trump train! Wish I was you.  :ohyeah: