The male dilemma

Started by Morris Minor, May 01, 2017, 10:58:41 AM

68_427

Well the Ram is actually the only recommendation I've made so far, and it was mostly tongue in cheek because of the sudden truck conversation.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

I've got a friend whose Jeep is about to be lemon'd.  It's been in the shop for nearly a month.  I think it was a Compass or Patriot or something...can't even remember because it hasn't been in their driveway for so long (dealership gave them a loaner Cherokee).  They had transmission issues about a year ago when the car was brand new, and this time a seal in the sunroof failed and the entire inside got fucked while it was parked at an airport while he and his wife were in Norway.  Still not fixed and they're nearing the 30 day mark or whatever it is to officially say "fuck you, you owe me a vehicle."

I will genuinely never recommend an FCA product to anyone ever outside of a Wrangler and maybe a RAM, though I'm partial to GM for trucks. They learned the lesson the hard way.

Why does FCA never have their shit together. It boggles the mind.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on May 02, 2017, 04:41:41 PM
Jeep's sketchy reliability extends to the entirety of the FCA family.
I wouldn't characterize it as sketchy: "abysmal" would be closer to the mark.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on May 02, 2017, 10:19:08 AM
Ya? So you'd be OK with tooling around in this?    :lol:

Only if it had truck nuts on the back.

* I never said real men don't care about how their vehicle looks, BTW, just that they don't give a fuck if their vehicle fulfills some popular conception of what real men should drive. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Morris Minor

Hmm, I'm wondering about the 2017 Ridgeline.  I have not read any bad reviews of it. Not good for the few who actually need heavy towing/work truck type stuff, but for most it's quite compelling.

68_427

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 12, 2017, 05:30:27 AM
Hmm, I'm wondering about the 2017 Ridgeline.  I have not read any bad reviews of it. Not good for the few who actually need heavy towing/work truck type stuff, but for most it's quite compelling.

BUTTT for the same price you can get one of these

A real man's mid-size truck
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on May 12, 2017, 05:39:32 AM
BUTTT for the same price you can get one of these

A real man's mid-size truck

Not really the same price.  The ZR2 starts 10K more than the Ridgeline.  A mid-level, AWD Ridgeline with comparable creature comforts is like 7K less than a ZR2 Crew Cab short bed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

You're right the Ridgeline is cheaper than I thought, but there are dealers already discounting ZR2s.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=456703299
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

One of my neighbors has one. He's from Long Island. When I see him I think, "he wants to look like a Southerner but doesn't quite get it". We live in a cul de sac; he tows nothing and hauls nothing. It's all for image, which is fine. But I don't think the Ridgeline has a good image, if that matters.

It's kind of like the 3 row crossover of pickup trucks. People buy 3 row crossovers because they need a minivan but don't want to commit. The Ridgeline is for people who want a pickup truck but for whatever reason are unwilling to take a plunge with a proper truck. IMO anyway.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Of the full size American half ton pickups, the Ram has the most car like ride. An unloaded F-150 will get bouncy on a concrete freeway.

CaminoRacer

I was thinking about a Ridgeline today :mask:

The unibody ride quality, lockable trunk, good ground clearance, plus a small bed hits most boxes of a do-it-yourself vehicle. Wonder if I can fit a bike in the back if it's diagonal
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 12, 2017, 09:06:55 AM
I was thinking about a Ridgeline today :mask:

The unibody ride quality, lockable trunk, good ground clearance, plus a small bed hits most boxes of a do-it-yourself vehicle. Wonder if I can fit a bike in the back if it's diagonal

Maybe. Or get one of these bed extender guard things. (lol, that's my bike)

CaminoRacer

Having the rear tire on the tailgate worries me. Some trucks can be flimsy and it bends after a while.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 12, 2017, 10:51:22 AM
Having the rear tire on the tailgate worries me. Some trucks can be flimsy and it bends after a while.

There's not much more than 100 lbs pushing down through the rear tire on to the tailgate.  If that's enough to bend it, then it's way too flimsy to support a normal person standing or walking on it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

If you're worried about bending up the tailgate of your truck, you own a car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Not particularly 'manly'; though who cares? :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 12, 2017, 11:24:11 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=tacoma+tailgate+bent&oq=tacoma+tailgate+bent&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.4217j0j4&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I sit on mine frequently enough and it seems plenty sturdy.  My dirtbike fits diagonally with the tailgate shut, so no issue for me there, but I also step on it when hopping up into the bed. But me sitting on the edge of it is likely more weight than the rear tire of most motorcycles barely touching it.

Shit happens, but don't over think it. 

CaminoRacer

I've never put much thought into it, just have seen that happen in the past so I know it can't be completely ignored. I sit on my tailgate but put it up while driving.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 12, 2017, 11:24:11 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=tacoma+tailgate+bent&oq=tacoma+tailgate+bent&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.4217j0j4&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Sounds like an isolated problem with certain vintages of Tacoma.  Also, some of those bent not from the rear wheel resting on the tailgate, but from the weight put on it from the act of loading the bike (weight applied through the loading ramp).  The guys loading 400+ lbs sportbikes, in particular.  Dirtbikes only weigh ~250 lbs or less.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

I have seen several new Ridgelines around here. They are so weeeeeird looking. From front, it's an SUV. From the rear, it's a decent pickup.

From any side angle, it just seems ODD.

I totally dig it though- better ride for what 90% of urban truck drivers need them for. They still have that cool under-bed storage in the back, and I wonder how maintenance costs will compare to similar competitors.....   (ie way better)
Will

giant_mtb

Yeah, the early Ridgelines look pretty odd with their raised bed sides.  Totally ruins the lines.

68_427

Looks better overall than the new one though IMO
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: 68_427 on May 13, 2017, 07:17:50 PM
Looks better overall than the new one though IMO

Meh, it's a tossup for me.  They got rid of the weird raised bed sides, but then completely fucked the front end.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 01, 2017, 10:58:41 AM
I can't think of a compact or mid-sized crossover SUV that isn't a bit girly. The Ford Edge is not too bad. Jeeps are manly but hopelessly unreliable.
Where's a male to go who wants a practical SUV? I'd say you's have to trade away the advantages of a crossover and go hairy balls 4-Runner.

Land Rover Discovery Sport?  Audi Q5?  BMW X3?

Or you could just not be a punk bitch and buy what you like.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Isn't the male dilemma whether to get PSA tests done or not?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 12, 2017, 08:14:37 PM
I have seen several new Ridgelines around here. They are so weeeeeird looking. From front, it's an SUV. From the rear, it's a decent pickup.

From any side angle, it just seems ODD.

I totally dig it though- better ride for what 90% of urban truck drivers need them for. They still have that cool under-bed storage in the back, and I wonder how maintenance costs will compare to similar competitors.....   (ie way better)
They are - umm - unusual-looking. But I've seen a few and they're growing on me. I think they'll sell well. Did you notice the fake seam between the bed & the cab? :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Rupert on May 14, 2017, 03:11:38 PM
Isn't the male dilemma whether to get PSA tests done or not?
Yup. Starting age 40 if you're black, 50 for the rest. Not an annual ritual I enjoy.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 02, 2017, 05:22:50 PM
I've got a friend whose Jeep is about to be lemon'd.  It's been in the shop for nearly a month.  I think it was a Compass or Patriot or something...can't even remember because it hasn't been in their driveway for so long (dealership gave them a loaner Cherokee).  They had transmission issues about a year ago when the car was brand new, and this time a seal in the sunroof failed and the entire inside got fucked while it was parked at an airport while he and his wife were in Norway.  Still not fixed and they're nearing the 30 day mark or whatever it is to officially say "fuck you, you owe me a vehicle."

I will genuinely never recommend an FCA product to anyone ever outside of a Wrangler and maybe a RAM, though I'm partial to GM for trucks. They learned the lesson the hard way.

Why does FCA never have their shit together. It boggles the mind.

Is it part of the Chrysler/RAM/Dodge/Jeep Ethos to fit their cares with garbage transmissions?

I remember hearing horror stories about them back in the early 90's.  It seems that not much has changed.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 15, 2017, 07:03:45 AM
Yup. Starting age 40 if you're black, 50 for the rest. Not an annual ritual I enjoy.

You think the PSA is bad? Ever had a colonoscopy?  ;)