Lease rates?

Started by veeman, May 07, 2017, 10:34:21 AM

veeman

My 10 year old Sonata, with 135,000 miles on it, is most likely gonna be gifted to my nephew.  He's in college and the airbags went off in his old Camry (somehow by hitting a curve - sounds fishy). Anyways I'm sad to see it go.  The car is mostly used by my nanny to shuttle my kids around and doesn't get that many miles on it a month now so I was thinking about leasing a replacement.  As I'm checking lease rates I don't get how leasing a Camry is only $20 more a month than a Corolla.  Currently a Corolla is $139 a month for 36 months with $1899 down and a Camry is $159 a month for 36 months with $1999 down.
There are a few other fees like $650 acquisition fee but they're the same for both.  You end up paying $820 more over 3 years to get a Camry instead of a Corolla?  Why so little?

Not that I'm going to get a Camry... 

12,000 RPM

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Lol

Nah but it's for 2 reasons. 1 the market is cooling off and manufacturers are spending big money for more volume. That money amounts to some pretty obscene incentives. 2 to add to that mainstream midsize sedans are getting pummeled by bigger + nicer compacts and increasingly fuel efficient crossovers. They're the worst of both worlds. Still good cars though and if you're in the market for one you're in for a treat.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

I'm currently mulling Camry, Accord, Optima, and Legacy.  All stripper base models.  2016 Optima is best deal but I'm leaning toward Legacy because of AWD so I won't have to switch out to snow tires in the winter (which I've been doing for last 4 years with my Sonata). 

12,000 RPM

You can't go wrong in the segment.

Personally I would roll the dice on a 200C AWD.... but I'm adventurous

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 07, 2017, 06:42:59 PM

:lol:  That would be "going wrong in the segment".   :mrcool:
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 07, 2017, 06:42:59 PM

Without ever owning an FCA product, it's hard to recommend an FCA product.  A lot of their customers are happy, but when it goes bad...it goes bad. 

veeman

I'm very open to leasing a domestic but they don't ever seem to have good deals for mid size sedans.  I'm not so concerned about reliability with an FCA given it's a lease and under warranty.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

Quote from: 68_427 on May 07, 2017, 11:15:21 PM
Accord Sport 6MT

It's mostly for nanny to shuttle kids.  No manual.  Want it to be a slushbox cheap lease.  Also want a separare enclosed trunk because I use it to take weekly trash to the dump, so don't want an SUV.  I live in a small town with no city provided trash pick-up.  You either dump it yourself or contract it out.  I prefer dumping it myself.

veeman

Going in I thought a smaller car (not subcompact) would be a lot cheaper than a midsize but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Prefer a midsize anyways.

AutobahnSHO

It's all about that resale value after the lease.
Will

MrH

Get a Camry for sure.  Better resale and big incentives right now is what's driving lease rates to be so similar.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Base MSRP between the two is only a 4.5K spread and the Camry will have more incentives given that it's an outgoing model.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

I feel like Camry incentives have been cheap for a minute.... plus the Corolla is hardly a spring chicken

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 08, 2017, 09:33:00 AM
I feel like Camry incentives have been cheap for a minute.... plus the Corolla is hardly a spring chicken

'17 is the last year for the current Camry.  MY18 is an all new car, so they are no doubt trying to clean out inventory of the 17s.  Corolla is probably another year from the next generation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: veeman on May 07, 2017, 11:42:45 PM
It's mostly for nanny to shuttle kids.  No manual.  Want it to be a slushbox cheap lease.  Also want a separare enclosed trunk because I use it to take weekly trash to the dump, so don't want an SUV.  I live in a small town with no city provided trash pick-up.  You either dump it yourself or contract it out.  I prefer dumping it myself.

Go with the Legacy. Subaru's commercials are working. Safe cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

So I stopped by a Toyota dealership this morning and emailed back and forth with the Subaru dealership that sold me my Crosstrek a few months back yesterday.  I learned that to all these enticing lease rates with low money down offers, you can add about $2000 because of taxes and fees.  So what's advertised as $159/month for 36 months with $1999 down is in reality $181/month with $3940 down. 

Anyways the Legacy comes out to be around $720 total more for 3 years but also the Camry comes with free maintenance for 2 years while the Legacy does not.  The free maintenance (about 5 oil/filter changes I figure) is very nice.  Looks wise, I gotta say, this generation Camry SE looks pretty good especially the grill and 17 inch alloys.  "Sporty" red piping stitching on the black cloth seats also adds a bit of flair.  So I put a deposit down on the Camry.  I'll be giving my Sonata to my nephew this weekend (Happy Mother's Day, Champ) and will pick up the Camry on Monday. 

I've been changing out my all seasons on my Sonata every winter for last 4 years for snow tires on steelies.  Once you have 'em for a winter, it's tough to not put them on every winter.  It really makes that much of a difference.  I'll just continue doing the same.  I probably wouldn't have bothered with the AWD Subie which would have saved me cash but I think FWD with winter tires is probably better than AWD with all-seasons for on road use.  The softer tire compound, skinnier width, and deeper tread do wonders when its below freezing out and the roads aren't plowed clean. 

Cookie Monster

Congrats! Definitely a great car,  especially for less than $200/mo.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

Good choice. Now put it on coilovers.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CJ

In the sunbelt states, included with the purchase or lease of every new Subaru is a complimentary 2 year/24,000 mile maintenance plan that takes car of the first four services. Other markets vary.

veeman

Thanks!

When I was in Southern California a few weeks ago I hardly saw any Subies whereas in the Northeast US they're everywhere.  The whole AWD thing plays little traction in the sunbelt.  My brother in law recently
moved to Massachusetts from Florida and had gotten a new Acura RDX (FWD) a few months ago.  He was so pissed when he got stuck in his driveway in Massachusetts in February and had to shovel himself out.

After I shook hands with the Toyota salesman and put a downpayment on the car I emailed the saleswoman at Subaru to thank her for her time and let her know that I was going with Toyota because Toyota corporate had a better deal than Subaru corporate.  I had bought my Crosstrek from her a few months back.  I wasn't expecting or wanting her to sweeten the Subaru deal.  I had emailed her previously that I would let her know which car I was going to get.  So yesterday night she emails me with a sweeter deal.  Her manager had matched the Toyota price (but didn't give me any free service offer).

I'm not going to take it because the Camry SE has alloys while the base stripper Legacy has ugly wheel caps and I like the free 2 year service.  Overall looks wise the Legacy has broader shoulders while the Camry front grill looks great IMHO.  I'm very surprised the Legacy actually has 1mpg better gas mileage than the Camry even though it's AWD and a bit heavier with very similar horsepower.  That's damn impressive.  Also I would feel bad about backing out of the Camry deal having already given a deposit. 

MX793

Quote from: CJ on May 10, 2017, 07:05:46 PM
In the sunbelt states, included with the purchase or lease of every new Subaru is a complimentary 2 year/24,000 mile maintenance plan that takes car of the first four services. Other markets vary.

They used to offer that everywhere.  I was considering a WRX back in 2010 before buying my previous Mustang and a 2 year service plan was part of the package.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on May 11, 2017, 07:22:08 AM
Thanks!

When I was in Southern California a few weeks ago I hardly saw any Subies whereas in the Northeast US they're everywhere.  The whole AWD thing plays little traction in the sunbelt.  My brother in law recently
moved to Massachusetts from Florida and had gotten a new Acura RDX (FWD) a few months ago.  He was so pissed when he got stuck in his driveway in Massachusetts in February and had to shovel himself out.

After I shook hands with the Toyota salesman and put a downpayment on the car I emailed the saleswoman at Subaru to thank her for her time and let her know that I was going with Toyota because Toyota corporate had a better deal than Subaru corporate.  I had bought my Crosstrek from her a few months back.  I wasn't expecting or wanting her to sweeten the Subaru deal.  I had emailed her previously that I would let her know which car I was going to get.  So yesterday night she emails me with a sweeter deal.  Her manager had matched the Toyota price (but didn't give me any free service offer).

I'm not going to take it because the Camry SE has alloys while the base stripper Legacy has ugly wheel caps and I like the free 2 year service.  Overall looks wise the Legacy has broader shoulders while the Camry front grill looks great IMHO.  I'm very surprised the Legacy actually has 1mpg better gas mileage than the Camry even though it's AWD and a bit heavier with very similar horsepower.  That's damn impressive.  Also I would feel bad about backing out of the Camry deal having already given a deposit. 

Yeah, don't give in to buyer's remorse.  Once you've made a selection, it's best to basically cut ties and commit. 

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 11, 2017, 08:58:02 AM
Yeah, don't give in to buyer's remorse.  Once you've made a selection, it's best to basically cut ties and commit. 

Well said.

CJ

It sounds like you would regret not getting the Subaru.

veeman

Quote from: CJ on May 11, 2017, 11:59:13 AM
It sounds like you would regret not getting the Subaru.

I'm not losing sleep over it :lol:  I don't like ugly baseline hubcaps on tires.  Aftermarket alloys are usually expensive and if very nice, stolen.  I'm happy with the Camry.  Haven't driven it yet though :lol:

68_427

Where the fuck do you live that your "alloys" are being stolen?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: 68_427 on May 11, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Where the fuck do you live that your "alloys" are being stolen?

Valid question. :lol: