2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Vs. 2017 Toyota 86

Started by Rich, May 31, 2017, 03:11:01 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2017, 10:39:19 AM
Just for fun, here's a thread of Corvette guys sharing stories of destroying their torque converters at the drag strip.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/197978-anyone-ever-blow-out-a-torque-converter.html

I see. You're unfamiliar with hot rodding too.

Those are guys are mucking about with home built hot rods with a lot of power. Simply look at the profile pic of the third poster that claims to have broken lots of torque converters - it's a big block Chevy with at least a 6-71 supercharger.

Just like any drive line component - clutch, axle, u-joint, drive shaft, diff, and torque converter - the component has to be sized properly for the application. Simply peruse TCI's product page and you'll see torque converters for the same transmission range from $300 to $1,000 or more. What you're paying for is power level. Suffice it to say a modern automaker is properly sizing a torque converter for the application.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2017, 11:28:15 AM
Just like any drive line component - clutch, axle, u-joint, drive shaft, diff, and torque converter - the component has to be sized properly for the application. Simply peruse TCI's product page and you'll see torque converters for the same transmission range from $300 to $1,000 or more. What you're paying for is power level. Suffice it to say a modern automaker is properly sizing a torque converter for the application.

I see you're changing your tune from this:

Quote from: GoCougs on June 02, 2017, 09:18:13 PM
You can't overheat a torque converter (it's just metal and a few bearings) and "lots of fluid" shear" is the principal under which it transmits torque.

Obviously, some of those failures in the Vette thread were from too much power in too weak a driveline.  This one, in particular, was interesting:

QuoteMy first Super Comp car actually caught the fluid inside it on fire. It is not that an unusal occurance

How can the trans fluid catch fire if you can't generate enough heat in the torque converter to overheat anything?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Isn't brake torquing pretty much a textbook example of an extreme circumstance? And one that the transmission is not designed for in the first place?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2017, 11:38:03 AM
I see you're changing your tune from this:

Obviously, some of those failures in the Vette thread were from too much power in too weak a driveline.  This one, in particular, was interesting:

How can the trans fluid catch fire if you can't generate enough heat in the torque converter to overheat anything?

Super Comp cars are 800+ hp dragsters (or at least many of them are) that don't use cooling systems of any kind, so they roll the dice on overheating of any component, which is the case with all upper levels of drag racing.

No changes of tunes. Just answering your questions. Do you have any more?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2017, 11:54:22 AM
Isn't brake torquing pretty much a textbook example of an extreme circumstance? And one that the transmission is not designed for in the first place?

A 2-3 second brake torque to launch a car 0-60 isn't extreme. 90 seconds is...
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2017, 11:54:22 AM

Again, not any more extreme than full throttle driving.

You can't rev an engine past red line. You can't select too low a gear. You can't put a car in reverse when going forward. Beyond the specific details of the event, simply put, if brake torquing was "extreme" for a car it's similarly easy for an automaker to prevent a driver from doing it.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2017, 12:10:57 PM
Super Comp cars are 800+ hp dragsters (or at least many of them are) that don't use cooling systems of any kind, so they roll the dice on overheating of any component, which is the case with all upper levels of drag racing.

No changes of tunes. Just answering your questions. Do you have any more?

Cooling doesn't matter for a torque converter, remember?

Quote from: GoCougs on June 02, 2017, 09:18:13 PM
You can't overheat a torque converter (it's just metal and a few bearings) and "lots of fluid" shear" is the principal under which it transmits torque.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 03, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
A 2-3 second brake torque to launch a car 0-60 isn't extreme. 90 seconds is...

If it's not something the car can do in a sustained matter, its extreme.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2017, 12:32:10 PM
Again, not any more extreme than full throttle driving.

You can't rev an engine past red line. You can't select too low a gear. You can't put a car in reverse when going forward. Beyond the specific details of the event, simply put, if brake torquing was "extreme" for a car it's similarly easy for an automaker to prevent a driver from doing it.

Yes, you can to the first two. Absolutely. (Just ask Sporty).

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

This whole discussion has been about (production car) toqrque converter automatics for the most part, in which Coug's point about not being able to do that is correct in all but some extreme cases.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2017, 12:32:12 PM
Cooling doesn't matter for a torque converter, remember?

You can't overheat a torque converter - it's just metal. When an AT overheats what fails is the clutches and/or bands, not the torque converter.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2017, 12:44:23 PM
Yes, you can to the first two. Absolutely. (Just ask Sporty).

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2017, 12:50:48 PM
LOL.  Tell that to these guys...

Those are manual transmission cars being forced into the wrong gear.

Any more questions? ;)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2017, 01:09:36 PM
You can't overheat a torque converter - it's just metal. When an AT overheats what fails is the clutches and/or bands, not the torque converter.

You can't overheat an engine then, it's just metal, right? And jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Fine Mr. pedantic. The torque converter puts heat into the transmission fluid, and the fluid overheats.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on June 03, 2017, 06:46:18 AM
You're wrong.  It's impossible for trans fluid in a torque converter to overheat.  In fact, those "transmission cooler" heat exchangers that every AT car comes fitted with are just snake oil.  You can remove them and save some weight with no negative effects.  And the heavy duty transmission coolers they try to upsell you on with truck towing packages are a total money grab.

I NEVER said the torque converter overheated.

I said that my brother mashed the brake, my other brother mashed the gas, and the torque converter broke.    :huh:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2017, 03:00:15 PM
You can't overheat an engine then, it's just metal, right? And jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Fine Mr. pedantic. The torque converter puts heat into the transmission fluid, and the fluid overheats.

Actually the little googling I've done says the fluid gets really hot which heats the housing and other parts, which expand then collide with each other, breaking the torque converter.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 03, 2017, 05:08:57 PM
I NEVER said the torque converter overheated.

I said that my brother mashed the brake, my other brother mashed the gas, and the torque converter broke.    :huh:

I do believe that post was sarcastic.

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2017, 03:00:15 PM

Sure you can. When your engine temp gauge says 200F that's okay even though parts of the engine are WAY hotter, say like the head(s), which can reach 1,000F and still be fine. When an engine overheats cyldiner head temps climb way above 1,000F which is the red zone for metal, and things expand and warp and catastrophe of metal components (bearings, rings, usually) happens soon thereafter.

No such analogous process to combustion happens within an AT. AT fluid overheats, but that's only like 250F, and when that happens the bands and/or clutches follow soon after, as they are not metal, not the torque converter, which is metal.

Soup DeVille

Well, where does that magical heat come from in the transmission then?

giant_mtb

Errr uhhh mmmmmm I know this...fuck fuck fu-FRICTION?!

Soup DeVille

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2017, 09:31:33 AM
Where?

In the transmission itself?  I'd assume gears and stuff.  I've no idea really, was just trying to be funny and now people are asking me questions and shit. :cry:

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on June 03, 2017, 11:05:20 AM

ALL transmission types - whether AT, DSG, SMG or M/T - generate - torque converters, clutches, bands, gears, pumps, bearings, seals, etc. are ALL are sources of inefficiency.

Any transmission designed today is designed to dissipate heat, ergo, only under extreme circumstances can they overheat.

You are underestimating how efficient modern transmissions are. The ZF 9hp has an efficiency of over 97%. Very little energy gets lost as heat. However if the car is not moving the energy is going somewhere.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on June 04, 2017, 12:39:27 PM
You are underestimating how efficient modern transmissions are. The ZF 9hp has an efficiency of over 97%. Very little energy gets lost as heat. However if the car is not moving the energy is going somewhere.

Yet another strawman???

r0tor

... Pretty sure brake torquing is the worst case thing you can do to a cars torque converter.  A large percentage of whatever power the engine is producing is converted into heat by the converter from massive fluid sheer...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

So in and among countless YouTube videos of AT launches and burnouts, how many feature "overheating" torque converters?

Raza

Quote from: Rich on May 31, 2017, 03:11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSq5Zb5ZNWY&feature=share

For those of you with MotorTrend on demand, the 10 minute mark at this video sums up my thoughts perfectly

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/behind-the-scenes-at-the-track-with-head2head-w-jason-cammisa-jonny-lieberman-randy-pobst-/0_98trlqk5/

Compensation mention in like the third sentence?  A reviewer who kind of looks and sounds like Brian Posehn calling the BRZ, a four seat fixed roof coupe, a sports car twice in a ten second span? 

Can someone sum up their no-credibility conclusion for me, please?  I have to watch some other video where a guy calls a Range Rover Evoque a sports car submarine and then rattles off a bunch of cliches.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 01, 2017, 01:29:00 PM
The 3i is a dog. As for these cars, it's tough. They are good "in theory" or "right road/environment" cars. If I lived in a rural area with great roads I could do this. But all that jinba ittai shit goes out the window when you are in traffic of densely populated areas IMO. If both of these just had like 20-30% more power they'd be perfect but as is... nah

:confused:
Don't you live in a rural area right now?  Or did you move back to NYC?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Also, someone mentioned dragon meat?  I'd eat that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i