2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Vs. 2017 Toyota 86

Started by Rich, May 31, 2017, 03:11:01 PM

Raza

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 06, 2017, 11:03:06 PM
What's wrong with Philly other than being close to Camden?

What's so great about Charlotte?

I'm asking because I've been to the east coast like once and that was to D.C.

Rotor just irrationally hates Philly because he stepped in gum there once or something. Don't listen to him. Philadelphia has its problems and its problem areas, but it's very much a city on the rise and has been for the 10 or 15 years.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 07, 2017, 06:46:36 PM
The south is way more laid back. Between NYC and DC people are just always in a hurry and not as friendly.

I would say RF or softtop FTW.

Southern cities don't feel like cities to me. They're massive, spread out, and there's so much space. Things are so far apart, outside of a small downtown area, cabs and walking don't seem like feasible options for getting around. Memphis, for example, feels more like an urban suburb (which doesn't make any sense, I know) than a city. Been years since I've been to other southern cities, though. I drove through Charlotte like 9 years ago. Seemed kind of nice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on June 08, 2017, 07:54:28 AM
Rotor just irrationally hates Philly because he stepped in gum there once or something. Don't listen to him. Philadelphia has its problems and its problem areas, but it's very much a city on the rise and has been for the 10 or 15 years.

It's not hard to rise for 10-15 years when you were the brown eye of East coast cities.

What is there really to do in Philly?  The independence hall area is nice.  I had my windshield washed by a bum a few blocks away from the liberty bell.  The Delaware River largely smells like ass by the time it reaches the city so the waterfront area is only tolerable in the northern part of the city.  The southern half of the city and into deleware on the water front is seriously heavy industry loaded up with nasty ass refineries.

What else did I miss? Sports complexes are nice as long as you don't park under I95.  South street is 4 blocks of trying to be bourbon street.  Temple University resembles Mogadishu 3 blocks off campus.  Old City is just an average thing you see in every city.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 08, 2017, 07:58:35 AM
Southern cities don't feel like cities to me. They're massive, spread out, and there's so much space. Things are so far apart, outside of a small downtown area, cabs and walking don't seem like feasible options for getting around. Memphis, for example, feels more like an urban suburb (which doesn't make any sense, I know) than a city. Been years since I've been to other southern cities, though. I drove through Charlotte like 9 years ago. Seemed kind of nice.
Southern cities definitely get an F on walkability, but IIRC you were the guy who likened the NYC subway to prison and are a huge driving advocate. I'd have figured having to drive everywhere would be a plus.

Driving through or even visiting somewhere is one thing; actually living there is another. In that regard, Southern cities are a lot more livable. Unless you're literally out every night every week, ultimately things like space and quality of life matter.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

I've only been to Florida, but my experience there is that people spend half the year scurrying from one air conditioned space to another. Walking is out of the question.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 08, 2017, 11:28:20 AM
I've only been to Florida, but my experience there is that people spend half the year scurrying from one air conditioned space to another. Walking is out of the question.

Floridians have their windows closed and AC going when it's a comfortable 73F outside in the early spring.  I go down there almost every March and the only vehicles I see with windows or convertible tops down are rentals or out of staters.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2017, 11:34:54 AM
Floridians have their windows closed and AC going when it's a comfortable 73F outside in the early spring

I've noticed that! Also, they break out their sweaters when it's below 65.

I go down there almost every March and the only vehicles I see with windows or convertible tops down

Guilty as charged, though IMO the thick humid air is less satisfying for 'vert driving. What's your reason for visiting?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2017, 11:34:54 AM
Floridians have their windows closed and AC going when it's a comfortable 73F outside in the early spring.  I go down there almost every March and the only vehicles I see with windows or convertible tops down are rentals or out of staters.

I know the common thinking is that the weather down south is preferable but I really like the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic four seasons. Yes we get some heat waves and some cold spells but for the most part it is relatively moderate. I haven't even used my home's air conditioner yet this year. For me as long as it stays in the ~70's I am usually OK.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 08, 2017, 11:38:41 AM
I've noticed that! Also, they break out their sweaters when it's below 65.

Guilty as charged, though IMO the thick humid air is less satisfying for 'vert driving. What's your reason for visiting?

I have family there.  March is Bike Week, so I go to visit family and watch the Daytona Supercross.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Charlotte is a lot more like Northeastern cities than something like an Atlanta, Houston, or Phoenix. The downtown (Uptown) area has extremely high occupancy rates and all the desireable residential neighborhoods are close to the city center. The light rail is worthless but it's easy to grab a cab and they're pretty cheap.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on June 08, 2017, 10:25:24 AM
It's not hard to rise for 10-15 years when you were the brown eye of East coast cities.

What is there really to do in Philly?  The independence hall area is nice.  I had my windshield washed by a bum a few blocks away from the liberty bell.  The Delaware River largely smells like ass by the time it reaches the city so the waterfront area is only tolerable in the northern part of the city.  The southern half of the city and into deleware on the water front is seriously heavy industry loaded up with nasty ass refineries.

What else did I miss? Sports complexes are nice as long as you don't park under I95.  South street is 4 blocks of trying to be bourbon street.  Temple University resembles Mogadishu 3 blocks off campus.  Old City is just an average thing you see in every city.

Two words: irrational hate.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2017, 11:09:58 AM
Southern cities definitely get an F on walkability, but IIRC you were the guy who likened the NYC subway to prison and are a huge driving advocate. I'd have figured having to drive everywhere would be a plus.

Driving through or even visiting somewhere is one thing; actually living there is another. In that regard, Southern cities are a lot more livable. Unless you're literally out every night every week, ultimately things like space and quality of life matter.

I do like driving places--but I like to have a drink when I go out, so those two things don't mix.

I don't value space as much as a lot of people, and I don't understand how being in the south (among southerners) means you have a better quality of life, but I can see how people would enjoy living in southern cities.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2017, 11:27:28 AM
I do like driving places--but I like to have a drink when I go out, so those two things don't mix. [/url]
Uber, or live in a hip neighborhood.

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2017, 11:27:28 AMI don't value space as much as a lot of people, and I don't understand how being in the south (among southerners) means you have a better quality of life, but I can see how people would enjoy living in southern cities.
The people here are not bad. Really nice actually. I enjoy work down here a lot more than I did in NYC largely because of the people.

And generally things are just less stressful. That accumulates and wears on you. Plus even if you don't value space I'm sure you value getting more for your money. I do recall you being into outdoorsy stuff as well.... again you can do that a lot easier down here for a longer part of the year than you can in Philly.

People up north are running out of reasons to shit on the south (which is why there is the mass exodus). If you ever make your way down I will gladly give you a tour :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Nashville was voted friendliest city in America. The rest of the big ("big") southern cities aren't far behind.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2017, 11:27:28 AM
I don't understand how being in the south (among southerners) means you have a better quality of life, but I can see how people would enjoy living in southern cities.

Generally cheaper COL than NE cities is a primary reason.

Also, the stereotypical southerners that I assume you're thinking of mostly live out in the boonies, not in the cities. Just look at the election maps. This is the 2016 presdiential results for GA. The six biggest cities (Atlanta, Columbus, Augusta, Macon, Savannah, and Athens) are all in blue counties. 

Cookie Monster

Fwiw I liked the outskirts of Atlanta when I was there for training. Nice and Holly and green. I didn't go to downtown Atlanta but the traffic there was terrible.

BTW when we went to the bars there we had to take a cab there and back. In Chicago we just walked around. The bars in Atlanta were awesome though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BimmerM3

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 09, 2017, 02:13:42 PM
Fwiw I liked the outskirts of Atlanta when I was there for training. Nice and Holly and green. I didn't go to downtown Atlanta but the traffic there was terrible.

BTW when we went to the bars there we had to take a cab there and back. In Chicago we just walked around. The bars in Atlanta were awesome though.

I've heard it described as "a city in the trees, not trees in a city." If you're in midtown or downtown, it's fairly walkable. But I definitely spent a lot of money on Lyft rides when I lived there.

Do you remember which bars you visited? Or at least which part of town you were in?

giant_mtb

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 08, 2017, 11:38:57 AM
I know the common thinking is that the weather down south is preferable but I really like the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic four seasons. Yes we get some heat waves and some cold spells but for the most part it is relatively moderate. I haven't even used my home's air conditioner yet this year. For me as long as it stays in the ~70's I am usually OK.

Shit, I just stopped turning on my heat at night like a week ago. :lol:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 09, 2017, 02:18:53 PM
I've heard it described as "a city in the trees, not trees in a city." If you're in midtown or downtown, it's fairly walkable. But I definitely spent a lot of money on Lyft rides when I lived there.

Do you remember which bars you visited? Or at least which part of town you were in?

We were in Buckhead, which from looking at a map,  is really far from downtown.  :lol:

There was a place with a thing called "Welfare Wednesdays" where all drinks were stupid cheap. A pitcher of beer was $2 and they had free beers all night. I got trashed for less than $10. That was probably the most fun I've had at a bar ever.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BimmerM3

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 09, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
We were in Buckhead, which from looking at a map,  is really far from downtown.  :lol:

There was a place with a thing called "Welfare Wednesdays" where all drinks were stupid cheap. A pitcher of beer was $2 and they had free beers all night. I got trashed for less than $10. That was probably the most fun I've had at a bar ever.

Oh Lord, I used to go to Welfare Wednesday every week in college. :lol:

Xer0

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 09, 2017, 02:13:42 PM

That's because Chicago is filled with alcoholics.  This city literally averages 4 bars a block.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Xer0 on June 10, 2017, 12:18:59 PM
This city literally averages 4 bars a block.
Same here in Cleveland......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Xer0 on June 10, 2017, 12:18:59 PM
That's because Chicago is filled with alcoholics.  This city literally averages 4 bars a block.

Rust belt is well-known for its high bars per capita numbers.  Highest I could find was Pittsburgh at 11.8 per 10,000 people.

Funny, my town has that beat easily.  We have 7 bars for 4,500 people, 9 if you include the Elks and VFW... :lol: