Chrysler Aspen

Started by Catman, January 06, 2006, 07:27:56 PM

Catman

Updated to reflect the official pic that IFcar found.

Catman

Changing the headlights and grille worked for GM for so long I guess Chrysler decided to give it a try. :rolleyes:  

TBR

Toyota does it too you know ;)  

ifcar

Combining the excellence of a Durango with attractive styling is not something to be criticized. <_<

Catman

QuoteToyota does it too you know ;)
Land Cruiser?

TBR

Land Cruiser?
Land Cruiser and LX470 and Camry and ES330.  

Catman

Land Cruiser?
GM's the master when it comes to trucks. ;)  Does the ES and Camry even share any body panels?

This Aspen looks more like a focus group vehicle.  It doesn't look prime time to me.

thewizard16

Land Cruiser?
The ES330 and the Camry share mechanicals and very little else. It's not quite as simple as a rebadge with slight styling changes. If you've been in the interiors of both, they're extremely different, and the ES, though sharing the same general shape, (I believe) does not share any body panels. The Land Cruiser and the LX are far more similar, though I think the interior on the LX is somewhat different as well.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

LX470 and Land Cruiser interiors are identical. Maybe some different-color wood trim, but that's it.  

SVT666

It's about time they did something to make this iteration of the Durango look decent.  The current Durango looks awkward, the styling doesn't flow, and from the A-pillars forward it looks totally and completely out of proportion with the rest of the vehicle.  The previous Durango was a far nicer looking vehicle.  The current Durango looks like an SUV trying to be a minivan (the opposite of GM's vans).

TBR

Land Cruiser?
The ES330 and the Camry share mechanicals and very little else. It's not quite as simple as a rebadge with slight styling changes. If you've been in the interiors of both, they're extremely different, and the ES, though sharing the same general shape, (I believe) does not share any body panels. The Land Cruiser and the LX are far more similar, though I think the interior on the LX is somewhat different as well.
The front and rear clips are different, however, I believe the doors and roof are identical. Also, how do we know that this Aspen doesn't have a completely different interior? I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but it is a possibility.

ifcar

TBR

Well I still have one example anyway, and it isn't like Chrysler does it much either.  

ifcar

Stratus/Sebring
Caravan/Town & Country
Dakota/Raider
300/Charger/Magnum

Longer than their list of unique vehicles (PT, Durango (for now), Ram, Viper, Crossfire, Pacifica), 3:2. <_<

I'd expect this to be on the same level as the Dakota/Raider, which isn't bad as badge-swaps go. I hope they change the steering wheel on this one though.  

TBR

QuoteStratus/Sebring
Caravan/Town & Country
Dakota/Raider
300/Charger/Magnum

Longer than their list of unique vehicles (PT, Durango (for now), Ram, Viper, Crossfire, Pacifica), 3:2. <_<

I'd expect this to be on the same level as the Dakota/Raider, which isn't bad as badge-swaps go. I hope they change the steering wheel on this one though.
Two of your examples all look quite different (the trucks and LX cars), and in one case have completely different body panels (300/Charger/Magnum).

I will give you the Stratus/Sebring, however, to be fair those are headed out of the door. And, I just plain forgot about the vans.

If you count the LX cars you have to count these too:
Camry/ES330
Highlander/RX330
4runner/GX470

ifcar

Dakota/Raider are only different at the front, rear, and dash (as the Aspen probably will be). 300/Charger/Magnum are closer than Camry/ES330 because they share a dash (even the 300's, while not identical, is much closer than those two).

TBR

QuoteDakota/Raider are only different at the front, rear, and dash (as the Aspen probably will be). 300/Charger/Magnum are closer than Camry/ES330 because they share a dash.
Only the Charger and Magnum do, the 300's is different.  

TBR

Additionally, the Raider's front doors are different.

ifcar

See edit. Much closer than the Camry/ES in any case. And the Camry/ES don't share the rest of the interior either, those three do.  

ifcar

QuoteAdditionally, the Raider's front doors are different.
Curved vs. square fender bulge. They're still the same shape (the shape of the roofline and rear door don't have to change because of it).

TBR

QuoteSee edit. Much closer than the Camry/ES in any case. And the Camry/ES don't share the rest of the interior either, those three do.
So what? The dash is still completely unique. Additonally, the door panels are also unique, so I suppose they might share the seats but you can hardly call that badge engineering.  

TBR

QuoteAdditionally, the Raider's front doors are different.
Curved vs. square fender bulge. They're still the same shape (the shape of the roofline and rear door don't have to change because of it).
It still required new stamps.

SVT666

The 300/Charger/Magnum triplets have different sheetmetal, interiors, and suspension setups.  All three cars have distinct personalities, which is hardly the same thing as the minivans which have different grilles and trim packages.  I have driven all three LX cars and as far as I'm concerned they are distinctly different.

ifcar

C and R/T versions have different suspension setups from the standard versions, but comparable versions have near-identical driving dynamics. The only difference is the styling outside, and the coloring inside.  

ifcar

Atomic

the aspen is a clean machine.  personally, i like my trucks a little more rugged, but it's great that dc motors is giving us choice. i'm not sold on the new gm suv's, but i like this chrysler already  :praise: !

Catman

Thanks Iffy.  That pic actually looks pretty nice.  I think it looks better than Durango.

Catman

ifcar

I was afraid that they would try to work Chrysler styling around the existing basic front end, but they redid the fenders completely and attractively. The Aspen isn't gorgeous, but it's not offensive.  

Catman

QuoteI was afraid that they would try to work Chrysler styling around the existing basic front end, but they redid the fenders completely and attractively. The Aspen isn't gorgeous, but it's not offensive.
My thoughts also.  It's more conservative.  I like how it lost the "snout" of the Durango as I've never liked that.  Not sure why the running boards aren't color keyed though.