VW California XXL Concept Is Big Camper Van For Globetrotters

Started by cawimmer430, August 28, 2017, 06:45:55 AM

cawimmer430

Hey look, a manual transmission in a camper!  :devil:

VW California XXL Concept Is Big Camper Van For Globetrotters

VW has taken the concept of the California camper van to the next level with their latest California XXL Concept.

Based on the new Crafter, the new VW California XXL Concept was revealed at this year's Caravan Salon Düsseldorf featuring an innovative interior architecture and all the latest tech features.

The California XXL Concept comes with a fixed panoramic roof, an extended rear section that allows the formation of an enormous bed, an alcove for the children, all-wheel drive for year-round use and pneumatic suspension among other.

The modern interior architecture is planned down to the last detail, featuring a retractable wet room, a heated and cooled bed, an extendible work surface, underfloor heating and a wide range of functions that can be controlled via a mobile app.

The latest VW camper van concept is 102mm higher than a Crafter panel van with the 'Super High Roof', allowing for a standing height of up to 2,2m. Between the front and rear bumpers, the VW California XXL is 5,986mm long but the overall length reaches over 6,2m if you consider the extended rear section.

Power is provided by a 177PS Euro 6 turbodiesel engine that's paired to VW's 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Having a pneumatic suspension optimizes the ride comfort as well as simplifies horizontal alignment of the camper van when parked.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/vw-california-xxl-concept-is-big-camper.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Heated bed and floors?  Sounds like a waste of energy.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2017, 09:17:17 AM
Heated bed and floors?  Sounds like a waste of energy.

I wonder if this thing probably has solar cells on the roof which store energy in batteries for these features.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 28, 2017, 03:48:56 PM
I wonder if this thing probably has solar cells on the roof which store energy in batteries for these features.

I doubt it, given the massive amount of glass up top.  I feel like the marketing wank would say something about solar cells on the roof if they were there since being eco is all the rage.  Probably has a small generator or something...or you just plug it in at the RV park.

93JC

"XXL", lol. I wonder what an average European would say at the sight of a North American "Class A" motorhome.

Laconian

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2017, 04:11:02 PM
"XXL", lol. I wonder what an average European would say at the sight of a North American "Class A" motorhome.

Those make me sick. It's not fucking camping when you need a thousand square feet worth of stuff and two "toy" vehicles towed along for the ride.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I don't think many people will call it camping...it's usually "traveling."  Or "traveling the country."  Why pay for hotels when you can spend $120k on a used motorhome that you use for two summers before you break your hip or your glasses stop working and have to get rid of it?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2017, 04:24:49 PM
Those make me sick. It's not fucking camping when you need a thousand square feet worth of stuff and two "toy" vehicles towed along for the ride.

The most fucked up thing about it in my opinion is that there's no additional testing whatsoever in order to drive one, and most are driven by old farts with failing depth perception and reaction times.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2017, 08:03:08 PM
The most fucked up thing about it in my opinion is that there's no additional testing whatsoever in order to drive one, and most are driven by old farts with failing depth perception and reaction times.

Definitely the scariest part of it.  I know I would not feel comfortable driving something the size of a tour bus with no additional training.

https://youtu.be/vZFCHk1XCDY?t=4m30s

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2017, 03:56:30 PM
I doubt it, given the massive amount of glass up top.  I feel like the marketing wank would say something about solar cells on the roof if they were there since being eco is all the rage.  Probably has a small generator or something...or you just plug it in at the RV park.

At 8:30 the guy basically shows us where you plug in the power adapters. I guess this answers the question.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4oKF6RXuo4

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2017, 04:11:02 PM

They will wonder why an American family of four/five needs a motorhome the size of a small castle.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2017, 08:03:08 PM

:hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid: :hesaid:

Rich people and their toys. You should've seen the hue and cry of yacht owners when they started administering licensing tests to boat owners. :facepalm: They still DUI all the time, too.

AutobahnSHO

seems really really open and airy (nice) but you'd have to have curtains for all those windows?!?!

And really really plasticky, and gimmicky.
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 30, 2017, 04:53:37 AM
seems really really open and airy (nice) but you'd have to have curtains for all those windows?!?!

And really really plasticky, and gimmicky.

It looks to have screens or shades you can pull up from the bottom of the windows?

(in the pictures.  I didn't watch the video)
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2017, 04:24:49 PM

Two? I saw one with 4 things being towed a couple months ago. Truck, golf cart, and two Vespas.

I'd much rather rent hotels or cabins. For the price and hassle of a motorhome you can stay in a hotel for years.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Constantly cleaning the ass prints from the glass would be tiresome.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on August 31, 2017, 07:10:13 AM

But the woman is slim and... wait... you're talking about...

:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

I love the emergency dew. In case of low blood sugar, break bottle seal.

Submariner

Quote from: Rockraven on August 31, 2017, 07:10:13 AM

I imagine it getting quite toasty up there on a sunny day.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Even with the stretch, this still seems too small.

This past NYIAS, I 'walked' around in a 15 passenger, high-top Transit van.  That seems (to me) to be the smallest comfortable size for one of these conversions.

I'd love to own one and hit up a bunch of smaller, less accessible camp sites in close proximity to locales like the one pictured above. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on August 31, 2017, 09:51:00 AM
I love the emergency dew. In case of low blood sugar, break bottle seal.

I think that's a Schweppes's ginger ale.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

The potential appeal for me of having an RV for long road trips is you don't have to check in/check out at certain times, deal with bed bugs, pack and unpack luggage every other day, and mostly being able to cook your own food. I could see myself owning something of this size in the future. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on August 31, 2017, 11:01:47 AM
The potential appeal for me of having an RV for long road trips is you don't have to check in/check out at certain times, deal with bed bugs, pack and unpack luggage every other day, and mostly being able to cook your own food. I could see myself owning something of this size in the future. 

Agreed. First I would like to make Taco into a self-contained camping vehicle by getting a bed topper cap and putting a shelf and mattress in the bed.  But that requires buying a cap, and they're not cheap and hard to find used. :cry: