WTF is being a car enthusiast, after all?

Started by MexicoCityM3, September 18, 2017, 03:48:44 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on September 19, 2017, 10:49:05 AM
Well hell, I just dropped $40 on a set of baby moon hubcaps, so I reckon that makes me an enthusiast.  :lol:

But did you spend enough time buying them? :mask:

Soup DeVille

Well hell, I just dropped $40 on a set of baby moon hubcaps, so I reckon that makes me an enthusiast.  :lol:

Filthy casual.

I spent that on a single hubcap, and I had the original wheels powdercoated to restore the stock finish.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

[img]http://hubcapmike.com/images/imp-8-baby-moon-hubcap-on-23-hotrod-wheel.jpg[/

Hold on, Rotor's gotta plug the numbers into his car spending to net worth calculator. If you qualify based on that, then you can move on to the time criteria.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2017, 10:19:05 AM
Wow, so much no here. No, you don't get to define what "true enthusiasm" is. No, "enthusiasm" isn't defined by how much money or time you spend on something. No, carrying a grudge from the deserved thrashing you got in that CR-V thread is not healthy. Your anger, consumerism and exclusionist attitude embody everything wrong with today's car scene.

How are you truly an enthusiast of something if you don't spend your available time/money enjoying the *thing*
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

To elaborate...

- If you buy an M3 it doesn't mean your an enthusiast just because you bought an M3
- If you spend a bunch of time hanging out on a car forum and bullshit about finance... It doesn't mean your an enthusiast
- If you buy an M3 and you enjoy the fuck out of it - your an enthusiast
- If your broke and spend all your time building and enjoying your ancient 5 speed accord... Your an enthusiast
- If you can't afford a ride or aren't old enough to drive and you spend a bunch of time researching car stuff... Your still an enthusiast

- If you bought an M3, never drove it to enjoy it, and one day sell it for a CR-V because your main passion is collecting money to retire at 40... Well then your probably not an automotive enthusiasts
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
To elaborate...

- If you buy an M3 it doesn't mean your an enthusiast just because you bought an M3
- If you spend a bunch of time hanging out on a car forum and bullshit about finance... It doesn't mean your an enthusiast
- If your broke and spend all your time building and enjoying your ancient 5 speed accord... Your an enthusiast
- If you can't afford a ride or aren't old enough to drive and you spend a bunch of time researching car stuff... Your still an enthusiast

- If you bought an M3, never drove it to enjoy it, and one day sell it for a CR-V because your main passion is collecting money to retire at 40... Well then your probably not an automotive enthusiasts

STFU

Soup DeVille

To elaborate...

Dude.

You're. Your.

Two different words man. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

To elaborate...

People can have multiple interests, multiple priorities, multiple obligations, and yes multiple passions.  How they allocate time and money to those is up to them. You are not the gatekeeper that decides what other peoples' interests are.

Xer0

I consider a car enthusiast someone that is interested in cars beyond the practical aspects of them.  I consider practical to be the simple things like hauling stuff and getting from point A to point B to even monetary gain.  For instance, a mechanic, a car dealer, or even a professional driver might not actually care for cars, but it pays the bills so they continue with it.  An enthusiast, however, is someone immersed in something not because they need it, or it's how they support themselves, but because it gives them joy. 

Of course, there are tons of different car enthusiasts out there that appreciate millions of different aspects of car culture differently, but they are all enthusiasts.

r0tor

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 11:39:08 AM

People can have multiple interests, multiple priorities, multiple obligations, and yes multiple passions.  How they allocate time and money to those is up to them. You are not the gatekeeper that decides what other peoples' interests are.

Please tell me Mr Enthusiast what makes you an enthusiast...

A person can *like* many things.  I don't have the time/money to be a considered an *enthusiast* in more than one or two ... and that's fine because that's just letting one's true passion dictate what they do.

You made it clear what your priorities are in life.  Being an automotive enthusiasts is not on the list.  That's fine, but stop with the fucking act.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 12:02:50 PM

Please tell me Mr Enthusiast what makes you an enthusiast...

A person can *like* many things.  I don't have the time/money to be a considered an *enthusiast* in more than one or two ... and that's fine because that's just letting one's true passion dictate what they do.

You made it clear what your priorities are in life.  Being an automotive enthusiasts is not on the list.  That's fine, but stop with the fucking act.

I've already answered the question - interest. And fwiw an enthusiast doesn't really care if he's considered an enthusiast or not :huh:

As for "stop with the fucking act!" - I literally referred to myself as an unthusiast. I'm deeply confused as to what it is you think you're calling me out for.

Since we've defined enthusiast by interest, it logically follows we can conclude Rotor is a Lebowski enthusiast, taking great interest in the most mundane details of Lebowski's life, to the point of being angry over what Lebowski commutes to work in. I'm flattered, really I am, now go get some help.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 12:21:33 PM

I've already answered the question - interest. And fwiw an enthusiast doesn't really care if he's considered an enthusiast or not :huh:

I can show interests in mountain biking.  I don't nearly have the passion though to buy a Coug's level bike and spend the time he does on the mountain and consider myself a biking enthusiast.

I like snowboarding. I have some decent equipment.  I get out 5 or 6 times a year.  That in no way shape or form makes me an enthusiast level snowboarder.

There is a vast difference between being an actual enthusiast in something and merely "showing an interest" or liking something.

CaminoRacer

Since we've defined enthusiast by interest, it logically follows we can conclude Rotor is a Lebowski enthusiast, taking great interest in the most mundane details of Lebowski's life, to the point of being angry over what Lebowski commutes to work in. I'm flattered, really I am, now go get some help.

:lol:  :wtf:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

As for "stop with the fucking act!" - I literally referred to myself as an unthusiast. I'm deeply confused as to what it is you think you're calling me out for.

Act 1
Unenthusiast buys hardcore enthusiast level car to look like an enthusiast.  Unthusiast realizes you actually need to be a *real* enthusiast to put up with the ride and daily driver limitations of an M3.

Act 2
Instead of quietly moving on and admitting wasting $$$$$ trying to look good and destroy your precious financial wisdom credibility, Unthusiast tries to save face and turn the failed attempt at looking good into some awe inspiring act of self sacrificing for one's financial benefit.

Act 3
...dont know...  something about buying an automotive appliance put me to sleep

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 01:07:23 PM
Act 1
Unenthusiast buys hardcore enthusiast level car to look like an enthusiast.  Unthusiast realizes you actually need to be a *real* enthusiast to put up with the ride and daily driver limitations of an M3.

Act 2
Instead of quietly moving on and admitting wasting $$$$$ trying to look good and destroy your precious financial wisdom credibility, Unthusiast tries to save face and turn the failed attempt at looking good into some awe inspiring act of self sacrificing for one's financial benefit.

Act 3
...dont know...  something about buying an automotive appliance put me to sleep

Now this is enthusiasm; you're writing a play about him!

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
Now this is enthusiasm; you're writing a play about him!

I was going for more of a saga perhaps? Or maybe a tragedy? Hmm.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 12:40:45 PM

I can show interests in mountain biking.  I don't nearly have the passion though to buy a Coug's level bike and spend the time he does on the mountain and consider myself a biking enthusiast.

Ok, seems understandable assuming you and Gougs aren't the same person.  Person a likes bikes more than person b I don't see anything to be angry about here.

I like snowboarding. I have some decent equipment.  I get out 5 or 6 times a year.  That in no way shape or form makes me an enthusiast level snowboarder.

Ok. Understandable. If you don't make it to the slopes next year, or if some of your gear ends up on Craigslist, I don't think I'd get too angry about that.

There is a vast difference between being an actual enthusiast in something and merely "showing an interest" or liking something.

I mean, how much does defining that demarcation line really matter? 

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 01:41:13 PM.

I mean, how much does defining that demarcation line really matter? 

It certainly helps when deciding to purchase an enthusiast level bike, or an enthusiast level snowboard, or and enthusiast level car to understand what "enthusiast" actually means.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 11:20:07 AM
How are you truly an enthusiast of something if you don't spend your available time/money enjoying the *thing*
Why does "truly" being an enthusiast matter?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 01:45:00 PM

It certainly helps when deciding to purchase an enthusiast level bike, or an enthusiast level snowboard, or and enthusiast level car to understand what "enthusiast" actually means.

Maybe.

Does the fact that you care significantly more than I do about what I commute in strike you as odd?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 19, 2017, 01:51:50 PM

Maybe.

Does the fact that you care significantly more than I do about what I commute in strike you as odd?

Did you ever figure out its more about the pretend persona then the car?

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 02:26:29 PM
Did you ever figure out its more about the pretend persona then the car?

Your point is inherently self contradicting.

Dude who is worried car choice = "my kids will think I'm lame" is objectively the one concerned with image/persona.

r0tor

Sorry, the kid thing was just a simple test to guage how much of an enthusiast you were.  The result was fairly conclusive.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 02:43:04 PM

Sorry, the kid thing was just a simple test to guage how much of an enthusiast you were.  The result was fairly conclusive.

And the "test" was entirely image/persona based?

Don't worry, if stuff/possessions are your measuring stick your kids will figure out you're lame either way Rotor.

FoMoJo

Now you're gonna have to get one of these...

to put them on :ohyeah:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2017, 02:43:04 PM