Alright

Started by Tom, January 09, 2006, 08:23:14 PM

ifcar

Or a Jaguar S-Type. Or a Lexus GS.

Raza

QuoteYep, four headlights. Dead ringer.
It is remarkably similar, that the lights are nearly identical in shape and size, and the way they slightly angle into the car. There's no doubt in my mind that they used that gen of E-class as an "inspiration" for those headlights.
The grille is also an amalgam of the W210's and the S Type's.

God, I forgot how good the STR looks.  Damnit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteOr a Jaguar S-Type. Or a Lexus GS.
The GS's headlights are more teardrop shapes (for lack of a better word) as opposed to circular or ovular like the Mercedes and Jaguar.  

They're kind of like inverted capital Ds.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

I wonder if anyone accused the S-Type of ripping of the E-Class. <_<

Raza

QuoteI wonder if anyone accused the S-Type of ripping of the E-Class. <_<
They most certainly had.  I know I did when it came out.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

I think the S type is hideous in general, but yes, I remember telling a friend (who happened to have an E-class) how similar the S-type looked, but the Amanti just looks more similar. I'm sure I could post pictures of them next to each other and list each detail, but I'm sure you already know. I'm not just critisizing Kia, there are other brands that do it too, it was just relatively annoying (and poorly done/hidden) in this case.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

It's only the headlights. The roofline and rear end look absolutely nothing like an E-Class, and the grille has more of an S-Type shape.  

BRealistic

Huh. Are you serious? If anything, Jaguar could claim Mercedes ripped off the classic XJ6 model front end styling.

-

Raza

Yeah, well, when it came out I was young.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

I'll have a chance to check out this Geely thing when I go to the auto show next weekend!  I'll let ya'll know just how bad it is!  :P  

ifcar

"I'll have a chance to check out this Geely thing when I go to the auto show next weekend! I'll let ya'll know just how bad it is!"

They're not displaying it to the public.

Tom

Is anybody willing to give the Chinese a chance?  At the very least their cars will be significantly cheaper.

TBR

Huh. Are you serious? If anything, Jaguar could claim Mercedes ripped off the classic XJ6 model front end styling.

-

The W-210's lights look more like the original S-type's to me:

giant_mtb

Quote"I'll have a chance to check out this Geely thing when I go to the auto show next weekend! I'll let ya'll know just how bad it is!"

They're not displaying it to the public.
Oh.  :banghead:  

Car Zeus

The Chinese will fail in the US. Keep in mind the same guy that brought us the Yugo is trying to bring these cars to the US.

Just my opinion.

ifcar

Anyone who's ever driven a Hyundai Excel would have expected Hyundai to fail. Look how far they've come.

There are enough Chinese brands out there that at least one will manage to succeed in the US IMO.  

autom?vel

What's one more "Made in China" sticker?   ^_^
I love that picture of the Jaguar, BReal.  Very classy.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

sparkplug

The Chinese cars look similar to the American, European, and Japanese cars. I don't feel they are as well engineered as the vehicles they are copying. Everybody seems to want more for less when in reality they are paying less for something that is less of a product. That is not to insult the chinese but based on the way they do business I don't like the cars.

NomisR

When I was in China, I went into a few of those Chinese auto brand's show rooms to look at some of the cars.  On the outside, those cars are actually decent looking.  On the inside, they're semi decent too if you don't look closely.  But once you look closely, that's when everything starts to come apart, and they drive like crap too.  They're simply replicas of cars like those fake Chanel and LV bags you find in China, they may look like the real thing but when looked at them close in detail, they're far from it and they're not worth the dime you're paying for.  Maybe the US version may be better.. who knows..

280Z Turbo

Sounds good to me. Disposable cars are gonna be sweet!

I'll bet that you can buy them in value packs of 10 at Wal Mart and Costco.

Raza

QuoteSounds good to me. Disposable cars are gonna be sweet!

Not right away, but give it time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

QuoteSounds good to me. Disposable cars are gonna be sweet!

Or just head down to your local GM dealer B)