"Baby on Board" stickers

Started by Laconian, January 02, 2018, 08:47:08 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2018, 06:33:49 PM
I may have seen a Jesus fish, but maybe I didn't notice or recognize it as such.

Exactly why I don't find them offensive.  They're nondescript and if you don't know what it is, it's not noteworthy.  Google "Jesus fish" if you're not sure.

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 06, 2018, 06:42:46 PM
Depends on where you live or travel.  When we lived in a rural/small town outside of the GTA, there were a couple of 'Reform' type churches and several people had Jesus fish stickers on their cars.  Where we are now, in the middle of a major municipal area, haven't seen a single one.

I don't really mind them that much, but I sometimes question the mentality of someone who would do that.  It's like putting a label on your life style and wanting everyone to know.

I have seen bumper stickers that say "WWJD" or "What would Jesus do?"  I can't say they bother me, though I become a little skeptical of people who are too "loud" about their religion.  Though it's less annoying to me than people who are "loud" about their political views, especially in a smug and presumptuous way.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

They don't seem to be common anymore. They were all over the place like 15 years ago.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 06:56:55 PM
https://goo.gl/images/fHrxuw

I think I have seen that.  I had no idea it was religious.  I paid no attention because I had no idea what it was.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on January 06, 2018, 06:58:32 PM
They don't seem to be common anymore. They were all over the place like 15 years ago.

Seems to be the case with bumper stickers in general.

Though most of the ones I see now are either craft brewery stickers, "I ran this far" stickers, or "my penis is tiny, here's my huge truck" stickers.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
I don't find those annoying.  They don't really say/mean anything besides "I guess I believe in God."  BoB stickers carry a lot more pretense.

A Jesus fish says "I believe in god so much that I need you to know about it, even though I've never met you and will never meet you; I need you know that if you don't believe, when the rapture comes, I will be embraced in paradise and you will not, and therefore I am better than you."

Baby on board says "Hey guys, I'm driving slowly because there's a tiny human slowly ruining my life in the back seat and I don't want to kill it yet."

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2018, 06:57:10 PM
I have seen bumper stickers that say "WWJD" or "What would Jesus do?"  I can't say they bother me, though I become a little skeptical of people who are too "loud" about their religion.  Though it's less annoying to me than people who are "loud" about their political views, especially in a smug and presumptuous way.

Religion is a political view.  :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2018, 07:09:09 PM
Seems to be the case with bumper stickers in general.

Though most of the ones I see now are either craft brewery stickers, "I ran this far" stickers, or "my penis is tiny, here's my huge truck" stickers.

Yeah, the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers....why the 13.1, especially?  I don't celebrate doing half of something. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2018, 06:57:10 PM

For the longest time, I thought WWJD was a radio station.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on January 07, 2018, 06:31:49 AM
Yeah, the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers....why the 13.1, especially?  I don't celebrate doing half of something. 

All I want to say about that is that you should only display the biggest one. The full marathon sticker goes Over the half marathon. You know, like registration stickers (people screw that up too)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2018, 06:44:19 AM
All I want to say about that is that you should only display the biggest one. The full marathon sticker goes Over the half marathon. You know, like registration stickers (people screw that up too)

Yeah; otherwise I have to force them off the road to ask them whether built up to the full marathon or they did the full marathon first and then got lazy and let themselves slide.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on January 07, 2018, 06:30:40 AM
Religion is a political view.  :huh:

It can be, but not always.  The same is true with politics.  For some people, it can be a religion, but for others not.

dazzleman

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on January 07, 2018, 07:27:15 AM
:lol:

And then some stickers wrote it "WWJD?" And I thought it was some semi-underground pirate radio station; so I had to find it.

I was really disappointed.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on January 07, 2018, 06:31:49 AM

Yes. Very much this. 

CaminoRacer

The 0.0 ones are the wierdest. I get the joke, and it's funny. But it's something you should see at the souvenir shop and laugh, then move on. You shouldn't actually spend money on it and proceed to put it on your car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on January 07, 2018, 07:26:36 AM
It can be, but not always.  The same is true with politics.  For some people, it can be a religion, but for others not.

In America, it is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 07, 2018, 09:10:18 AM
The 0.0 ones are the wierdest. I get the joke, and it's funny. But it's something you should see at the souvenir shop and laugh, then move on. You shouldn't actually spend money on it and proceed to put it on your car.

Ehh, it's their car.

Another one I've seen that produces a chuckle was 26.3 and then if you look close it says "nachos in one sitting." 

AutobahnSHO

I want a "2.0. Because the army makes me" sticker. :lol:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 07, 2018, 09:37:10 AM
I want a "2.0. Because the army makes me" sticker. :lol:

"Zonk track club"

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on January 07, 2018, 06:29:24 AM
A Jesus fish says "I believe in god so much that I need you to know about it, even though I've never met you and will never meet you; I need you know that if you don't believe, when the rapture comes, I will be embraced in paradise and you will not, and therefore I am better than you."

I think that's a bit aggressive. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 11:11:49 AM
I think that's a bit aggressive. :lol:
Consider the purpose of someone slapping a sticker on their vehicle.  What message are they trying to send?  What is the Jesus fish trying to tell you about those inside the car?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 07, 2018, 11:21:46 AM
Consider the purpose of someone slapping a sticker on their vehicle.  What message are they trying to send?  What is the Jesus fish trying to tell you about those inside the car?

"I'm a Lutheran."

Anything beyond that is hyperbole, as is the case for most any bumper sticker.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 07, 2018, 11:21:46 AM

"Please don't give me a ticket"

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 11:23:51 AM
"I'm a Lutheran."

Anything beyond that is hyperbole, as is the case for most any bumper sticker.
Lutheran?  Catholics can't use it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 07, 2018, 12:15:05 PM
Lutheran?  Catholics can't use it?

Was just throwing a random example.  But now we're just going in circles.

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 06, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
They don't really say/mean anything besides "I guess I believe in God."

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 12:17:58 PM
Was just throwing a random example.  But now we're just going in circles.

Sorry, I'm just bored.  However, as someone who often wonders about the various ideologies that tend to bind various groups yet put them in opposition to other groups, I find symbols like the Jesus fish rather intriguing.  I don't recall seeing vehicle stickers with the Star of David or the Star and Crescent.  Maybe elsewhere though.

giant_mtb

Only time I see a Davidian Star is on these

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 01:13:40 PM
Only time I see a Davidian Star is on these

Never saw that before.  Very interesting.  Without looking it up, not sure what the S signifies.