Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 17, 2018, 03:35:30 PM
This is what EV advocates argue: 200-240 miles is the bladder-optimal range, so why sweat over a Tesla not doing 400 miles on a charge?

Exactly.  Drive 200 miles, stretch your legs, take a leak, wait 11 hours, and then be on your merry way.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2018, 08:07:57 AM
Exactly.  Drive 200 miles, stretch your legs, take a leak, wait 11 hours, and then be on your merry way.
THATS THE ISSUE.........  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

DC fast charge is 90 miles per half hour on the Bolt. Some pause but not insurmountable.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2018, 03:59:32 PM
DC fast charge is 90 miles per half hour on the Bolt. Some pause but not insurmountable.

So a trip to my brother's house would take me an extra ~2.5 hours.  Sounds so great.

Laconian

You are describing a trip from Michigan to San Francisco, right?

Sounds reasonable to me. Gotta eat and pee sometime.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2018, 04:43:40 PM
You are describing a trip from Michigan to San Francisco, right?

Sounds reasonable to me. Gotta eat and pee sometime.

No, a 450 mile trip from one place in Michigan to another. 

12,000 RPM

Charging will get there. IT's not there now but it will get there in time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

It still cracks me up that Tesla has a charger in Evanston, Wyoming. At the hotel.

You could charge up enough to get to the next city but that's it. :lol:  Locals won't be parking at that hotel, it's not close enough to walk to any work.

Seriously, go look it up when you get bored. Park City UT is like 45min away at 75mph. Fort Bridger WY has nothing. Green River WY is about the same size as Evanston, 10-14k people. But it's like 70miles away. 
Will

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 21, 2018, 05:32:56 AM
It still cracks me up that Tesla has a charger in Evanston, Wyoming. At the hotel.

You could charge up enough to get to the next city but that's it. :lol:  Locals won't be parking at that hotel, it's not close enough to walk to any work.

Seriously, go look it up when you get bored. Park City UT is like 45min away at 75mph. Fort Bridger WY has nothing. Green River WY is about the same size as Evanston, 10-14k people. But it's like 70miles away. 

The Tesla network is set up precisely so that you can get from one station to the next station, for someone who decides that a road trip is the best fit for their EV's skill set.

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2018, 03:59:32 PM

That's pretty disruptive on a road trip.

12,000 RPM

Thinking about the energy involved for a fast charge, IDK. Tesla has an 85kWh 375V battery. To charge that in 15 minutes, according to my calculation, you'd need damn near 1000A. That's like the feed coming into your house at 3x higher voltage. If the connector is anything less than perfect people will def die. So there may be a limit to how fast shit can charge just on the basis of safety. OSHA doesn't even want you looking at an electrical panel with that kind of energy flowing.... connecting/disconnecting is a 100% :nono:

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on February 22, 2018, 07:45:40 AM
That's pretty disruptive on a road trip.

And assumes there are fast chargers along your entire trip.  Though the availability is much better than it was even 5 years ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ifcar on February 22, 2018, 06:16:33 AM
The Tesla network is set up precisely so that you can get from one station to the next station, for someone who decides that a road trip is the best fit for their EV's skill set.

LOL it would only take you 10x? longer to get across Wyoming using pure electricity...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 07:56:57 AM
Thinking about the energy involved for a fast charge, IDK. Tesla has an 85kWh 375V battery. To charge that in 15 minutes, according to my calculation, you'd need damn near 1000A. That's like the feed coming into your house at 3x higher voltage. If the connector is anything less than perfect people will def die. So there may be a limit to how fast shit can charge just on the basis of safety. OSHA doesn't even want you looking at an electrical panel with that kind of energy flowing.... connecting/disconnecting is a 100% :nono:

Wireless charging needs to be a thing. I saw a few years back Utah college had one that charged 90+% efficiently at 18inches from charging pad.  Big issue was if someone with a pacemaker stepped across it they might die..
Will

12,000 RPM

Yea, unless they could focus that energy into a beam (rail gun? LOL) the EM field for that kind of charging would be crazy.

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on February 22, 2018, 08:18:03 AM

And assumes there are fast chargers along your entire trip.  Though the availability is much better than it was even 5 years ago.

Yeah, i imagine you'd have to plan your route based on fast charger availability?  Another big inconvenience.

I could see an electric car as one car in a 2 car household, but at this stage I'd definitely want at least one car in the household that can do long trips.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on February 22, 2018, 09:30:37 AM
Yeah, i imagine you'd have to plan your route based on fast charger availability?  Another big inconvenience.

I could see an electric car as one car in a 2 car household, but at this stage I'd definitely want at least one car in the household that can do long trips.

:hesaid:

Electric cars are here for urban/local mobility if you can get a home charger. Those scenarios are in my opinion, solved and more appealing every day. Long trips: not yet and I think it will take several years, even a decade or more for that to really work to the point of being viable for a single vehicle family.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 08:34:21 AM
Yea, unless they could focus that energy into a beam (rail gun? LOL) the EM field for that kind of charging would be crazy.

Focused masers from space satellites

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 08:34:21 AM

Long range that might work. The next 10-20yrs?  Charging while parked at work, home, grocery store, etc...

The bus study I saw they would sit at certain stops for 20min anyway, and that was enough to get them charged up enough for another trip around their designated loop.
Will

Raza

NFC charging stages across all highways. Charge as you drive past them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2018, 11:41:50 AM
NFC charging stages across all highways. Charge as you drive past them.

Giant recharger trucks for your autonomous car to link to and charge while you drive
Will

CaminoRacer

Quick replaceable batteries would be easier.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

How about some sort of liquid that can hold a lot of energy?

Oops.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 22, 2018, 07:03:35 PM
How about some sort of liquid that can hold a lot of energy?

Oops.

:lol:
Will

veeman

I don't know.  Is the U.S. electrical grid have enough capacity to charge all the cars on the road right now daily?  What about even 1/4 of the cars?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on February 23, 2018, 09:43:41 AM
I don't know.  Is the U.S. electrical grid have enough capacity to charge all the cars on the road right now daily?  What about even 1/4 of the cars?

We definitely have the capacity. Here is a diagram I made showing how it would work.

AutobahnSHO

:lol: I love that information. Very astute and timely. We must syngergize to keep up that positive energy.
Will

CaminoRacer

But is the blue area large enough for everyone to charge?

I'm sure / I hope the power companies have calculated that.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Car charging is dream demand for utilities as it would allow them to operate steadily 24/7. If that demand came on board they would accommodate it quickly. But there is definitely free capacity in the meantime.

Morris Minor

Early morning at the fitness center. Cayenne: clean & unadorned. CR-V: chrome, frippery, light cluster weirdness.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși