Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

Lebowski

Damn, Porsche looks downmarket next to the CRV.  Just imagine that poor sap's CRVenvy when he comes out to his car and sees them side by side.

12,000 RPM

You joke but in that picture the Cayenne does not look anywhere near 2-3x the price of the CR-V. I know there's more to it than that but that is a big part of it.

Really looking forward to the RDX.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: Lebowski on February 25, 2018, 06:33:47 AM
Damn, Porsche looks downmarket next to the CRV.  Just imagine that poor sap's CRVenvy when he comes out to his car and sees them side by side.
I was thinking about depreciation. I know we bought the CR-V new, which is a sin in financial planning circles (wanted all the very latest safety goodies I could get.) But its depreciation curve is nowhere near as brutal as buying a luxury brand. There's a ready marked for used middle-market cars. But who wants to buy then pay the repair bills on a seven-year old Porsche or Audi?

(We learned this lesson when we got the insurance check for the CLK)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Rear end of the CR-V is the head of this guy
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 25, 2018, 10:33:55 AM
I was thinking about depreciation. I know we bought the CR-V new, which is a sin in financial planning circles (wanted all the very latest safety goodies I could get.) But its depreciation curve is nowhere near as brutal as buying a luxury brand. There's a ready marked for used middle-market cars. But who wants to buy then pay the repair bills on a seven-year old Porsche or Audi?

If you are planning on buying a new car, it totally makes sense if:
-you plan on owning it awhile after it's paid off. Which means it's nicer to
-get all the goodies you want. Which also helps if you bought a car which
-retains resale value

AND you get the advantage of knowing the mechanical history. Well-maintained it should go for a long long time. (See the Odometer thread on my Odyssey. We bought it with 168k miles from the first owner who got EVERYTHING done at the dealership.)
Will

12,000 RPM

Eh, buying new and changing often can "make sense" if you can afford it. CR-V has full sized pickup truck resale strength... replacing every 3 years probably doesn't cost too much, especially in a popular trim + color.

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 26, 2018, 07:43:57 AM
If you are planning on buying a new car, it totally makes sense if:
-you plan on owning it awhile after it's paid off. Which means it's nicer to
-get all the goodies you want. Which also helps if you bought a car which
-retains resale value

AND you get the advantage of knowing the mechanical history. Well-maintained it should go for a long long time. (See the Odometer thread on my Odyssey. We bought it with 168k miles from the first owner who got EVERYTHING done at the dealership.)
I'm 61 & my wife's 62. We are just coming out of the age group that has the lowest rate of car crashes; there's a gentle risk trend upwards into our early 70s, then a hockey stick upward jump starting in our mid-70s. Long story short; I thought this would be good choice to age with as a long-term hold: not too big, high hip height, safety & driver assist goodies, good interior space, low running cost, AWD, reliable.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 26, 2018, 09:11:11 AM
I'm 61 & my wife's 62. We are just coming out of the age group that has the lowest rate of car crashes; there's a gentle risk trend upwards into our early 70s, then a hockey stick upward jump starting in our mid-70s. Long story short; I thought this would be good choice to age with as a long-term hold: not too big, high hip height, safety & driver assist goodies, good interior space, low running cost, AWD, reliable.

Oh I think you made the best purchase possible!   I'm jealous and would buy the same thing in a couple years if I could afford it, I'm only 42. Right now we frequently need 3 rows. Once the kids are on their own I want to down-size out of minivan-land.

Wife had always driven little cars before Odyssey and was resistant until she started driving it. Just today she asked if she could take Odyssey to appointment because her back is bugging her and mine is not as bad so I drove Impreza. Difference in comfort level is noticeable.
Will

Lebowski

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 25, 2018, 10:33:55 AM

I don't think buying new is a sin, as long as you plan to keep it awhile.

Buying used can be a significantly larger outlay of time, which is worth money. When buying new its easy to get exactly what you want, you don't have to worry about whether it's been maintained etc. I plan to continue buying most of our cars new, although if there's a used option (up when we're looking to buy) from someone I know that maintains their cars well I'll always be willing to consider it.  Going to a used car lot, or scouring autotrader, doesn't appeal to me and I'll generally pay the new car premium to avoid that.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Lebowski on February 26, 2018, 05:28:54 PM

I don't think buying new is a sin, as long as you plan to keep it awhile.

Buying used can be a significantly larger outlay of time, which is worth money. When buying new its easy to get exactly what you want, you don't have to worry about whether it's been maintained etc. I plan to continue buying most of our cars new, although if there's a used option (up when we're looking to buy) from someone I know that maintains their cars well I'll always be willing to consider it.  Going to a used car lot, or scouring autotrader, doesn't appeal to me and I'll generally pay the new car premium to avoid that.

Totally depends on the resale value of the car, too. A lot of the cars worth buying (CR-V) don't depreciate enough to make the gently used option all that much cheaper than the brand-new car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Only on a car forum do people frown upon buying a new car... :confused:

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 26, 2018, 12:37:11 PM
CR-V vs. Accord

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research-guides/car-compare-2018-honda-accord-and-2018-honda-cr-v/ar-BBJB8qd?li=BBisPVf&ocid=ientp
Really interesting. My neighbor just bought his son a new Accord - base trim with the 1.5T engine. Son had been driving a beater... really bright - got lots of scholarships and saved Dad a shitload - took the $$ out of the college fund.

Anyway they're blown away by the Accord. They just can't believe the refinement & driving dynamics. Right up there with their X3.

C&D gushes about the Accord too.

giant_mtb

Accords are very good vehicles.  I have two customers that swear by them and I like detailing and driving them.

AutobahnSHO

My parents bought an Accord and like it more than the Camrys they've owned.
Will

CaminoRacer

I love 2015 Accord Sports. Such a nice design.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

Too bad we don't get the manual Accord here. It would be a great DD. That for me, a CR-V for Monika and I can sell all the unreliable german crap!
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Bah, you guys deserve the best: RDX and TLX.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 26, 2018, 05:47:38 PM
:nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 26, 2018, 05:47:38 PM
What's strange about that? Most people buy used cars. And used cars today are better than they've ever been :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 26, 2018, 05:35:08 PM

Totally depends on the resale value of the car, too. A lot of the cars worth buying (CR-V) don't depreciate enough to make the gently used option all that much cheaper than the brand-new car.

Yeah, same with 4Runners.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 27, 2018, 06:50:33 AM
What's strange about that? Most people buy used cars. And used cars today are better than they've ever been :huh:

Not denying that...I bought a 10 year old truck with 126k miles on it. lol

I just think it's strange that some of you are so averse to a new car.  If someone wants to buy a new car...that's great.  Having a brand new car is awesome.  We should be encouraging it.  Not delving into financial bullshit and this weird guilt tripping. :huh: 

Wanna buy used?  Buy used. Wanna buy new?  Buy new.  Who cares.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 27, 2018, 06:50:33 AM

LOL at your profile quote.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2018, 12:13:42 PM

I just think it's strange that some of you are so averse to a new car.  If someone wants to buy a new car...that's great.  Having a brand new car is awesome.  We should be encouraging it.  Not delving into financial bullshit and this weird guilt tripping. :huh: 

No, no. This is a political forum first and a financial responsibility forum second. Cars are a distant third.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 27, 2018, 01:10:54 PM
No, no. This is a political forum first and a financial responsibility forum second. Cars are a distant third.
BULLSHIT! Cars are fourth behind that damn CR-V..........  :partyon:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 27, 2018, 01:10:54 PM

It's all interconnected. CRV is the perfect car and also financially sane.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2018, 12:13:42 PM

Who is against buying new cars? Everyone congratulated Morris on his purchase. People are against shit financial decisions.... used or new. If you put your business out here it's gonna get judged. That's how it goes :huh:

Lebowski

I don't get that either, nobody railed against buying new :huh:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on February 28, 2018, 06:46:35 AM

It's all interconnected. CRV is the perfect car and also financially sane.

We found our holy grail.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski