The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

GoCougs

Hmmmm. I remain a bit skeptical. GM's 6.2L 755 hp LT5 S/C V8 from a value proposition standpoint (performance/size/weight) can only be challenged by MAYBE the TT V8s in the Ferrari 488 or McLaren whatever (at 3x+ the cost of course). One distinct disadvantage however to a S/C V8 is that its CG (and obviously height) is much higher, and that may have been enough...

Raza

Wait, the mid-engine Corvette is actually happening?  And there's not going to be a manual?  A mid-engine automatic-only Corvette.

I guess there's no more Corvette. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 16, 2019, 09:05:47 AM
Hmmmm. I remain a bit skeptical. GM's 6.2L 755 hp LT5 S/C V8 from a value proposition standpoint (performance/size/weight) can only be challenged by MAYBE the TT V8s in the Ferrari 488 or McLaren whatever (at 3x+ the cost of course). One distinct disadvantage however to a S/C V8 is that its CG (and obviously height) is much higher, and that may have been enough...
Value is irrelevant in this space... I sincerely doubt anyone with the means to buy a Ferrari 488 is cross shopping it against any Corvette

These purchases are 99% right brain
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 16, 2019, 11:35:12 AM
Value is irrelevant in this space... I sincerely doubt anyone with the means to buy a Ferrari 488 is cross shopping it against any Corvette

These purchases are 99% right brain

Value is very important. It basically defines the Corvette. How many units do you think they'd sell if the 'Vette were as much as a 488?

GoCougs

Value = advantage, not cost.

But yes, "value" does matter for a Corvette.  Even though GM is moving the Corvette upmarket, and there have been plenty of takers for the C7 Z06 and ZR1, there'll be virtually no buyers at the $250k+ price point.

12,000 RPM

I said that the wrong way... yes value absolutely defines the Corvette... which is why comparing it to a 488 only makes sense for bench racers

Someone with the means and desire to acquire a 488 might respect a Corvette's abilities but probably has zero desire to own one solely due to what it represents. Cougs relentless bench racing completely misses the actual way people approach buying performance cars

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 16, 2019, 12:43:40 PM
I said that the wrong way... yes value absolutely defines the Corvette... which is why comparing it to a 488 only makes sense for bench racers

Someone with the means and desire to acquire a 488 might respect a Corvette's abilities but probably has zero desire to own one solely due to what it represents. Cougs relentless bench racing completely misses the actual way people approach buying performance cars

How do people approach buying performance cars?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 16, 2019, 01:04:42 PM
How do people approach buying performance cars?
For the most part, emotionally and irrationally......... how else can one justify eating six figure depreciation for unusable performance wrapped up in completely impractical packages? You think people buy Ferraris the way we buy mainstreamers?

CaminoRacer

Corvettes are the cars to buy if you want to get into track days, autocross, etc. Ferraris are for posing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 16, 2019, 02:20:43 PM
Corvettes are the cars to buy if you want to get into track days, autocross, etc. Ferraris are for posing.

https://youtu.be/UKm-wcxkl5U?t=34
https://youtu.be/8PQ4VGMDMQU?t=19
https://youtu.be/Z-4v4I7Gzk0?t=31

veeman

Google searching corvette forums, very few percentage of corvette owners track their cars. Even the high performance ones.  Probably more BMW M owners track their cars than Corvette owners. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on July 16, 2019, 05:42:17 PM
Google searching corvette forums, very few percentage of corvette owners track their cars. Even the high performance ones.  Probably more BMW M owners track their cars than Corvette owners. 
Hopefully, the C8 will manage more than a couple of laps before limping home wheezing steam. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Corvettes and Ferraris are the exact same kind of purchase. The only difference is the financial demographics.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on July 16, 2019, 05:42:17 PM

But show up an event and there are usually a lot of Corvettes there. They're one of the staples, along with Miatas.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on July 16, 2019, 06:44:25 PM
Corvettes and Ferraris are the exact same kind of purchase. The only difference is the financial demographics.
Yes, exactly

And I am not knocking either... if I could afford either I'd probably have one.

But the suggestion that anyone is choosing a Corvette over a Ferrari because of specs/stats per $$$ is completely ridiculous.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 16, 2019, 07:27:27 PM
But show up an event and there are usually a lot of Corvettes there. They're one of the staples, along with Miatas.

New Corvettes are pretty uncommon at such events.  C5s and older C6s are quite popular as trackday toys.  Very capable, huge aftermarket, and pretty inexpensive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

So where's the big reveal happening tomorrow?

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on July 16, 2019, 06:44:25 PM

I don't know.  Maybe I've been driving my Z4 for so long I look at a car like a Corvette and I think "Oh hey, this car is really comfortable and practical, it would make a great daily driver and a pretty good family car".  But I think my perceptions are skewed now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 17, 2019, 09:01:56 AM
So where's the big reveal happening tomorrow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKs9BYLXm0

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 16, 2019, 06:24:29 PM
Hopefully, the C8 will manage more than a couple of laps before limping home wheezing steam. :ohyeah:
I'll bet you my Vette that'll it'll do more laps than a GT350 does before the rear dif blows up...........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on July 17, 2019, 09:17:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKs9BYLXm0
I'll bet you my Vette that'll it'll do more laps than a GT350 does before the rear dif blows up...........
Should be exciting.  Hope you're able to sleep tonight. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 17, 2019, 08:56:40 AM
New Corvettes are pretty uncommon at such events.  C5s and older C6s are quite popular as trackday toys.  Very capable, huge aftermarket, and pretty inexpensive.
There was a C7 GS behind me when I crashed at my track day... a few SSs as well. People take their new cars out

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2019, 11:32:50 AM
There was a C7 GS behind me when I crashed at my track day... a few SSs as well. People take their new cars out

Sure, I see the odd C7 at an autocross as well, but C5s are way more common at track or amateur competition.  Especially properly race prepped (aero, cage, gutted interior).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 17, 2019, 10:02:23 AM
Should be exciting.  Hope you're able to sleep tonight. :lol:
I got ants in my pants!!!! LOL!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rich

C5s are more common at autocrosses. C7s are more prevalent at showroom stock track days.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

10:30 pm, what the hell?? :confused:

I'll likely be asleep by then :huh:.

Payman

Lol yeah, and prolly an hour of history blah blah blah before the actual reveal. I'll be watching it on Youtube on the shitter 5:30 tomorrow morning.

GoCougs

That doesn't quite add up - to me it says something's off. Probably not with the car, but the venue or PR stunt or ?

BimmerM3

The reveal is in California - it's at 7:30 PM local time, which is entirely reasonable.

Submariner

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 18, 2019, 01:10:04 PM
The reveal is in California - it's at 7:30 PM local time, which is entirely reasonable.

Did Chevy forget about the entire east coast of America?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550