Do you drive with traction control on or off?

Started by Xer0, May 01, 2018, 09:21:19 AM

Xer0

It finally feels like winter is behind us in Chicago so I put summer tires on this weekend.  This also means that I can turn traction control off since the Si doesn't let you mess with it unless it detects tire pressure sensors and I didn't bother getting them for my winter set.  It's a huge difference.  The traction control in the Si intervenes all the time, retarding throttle so much that it almost feels like a bad automatic taking 3 seconds to downshift when trying to accelerate with any amount force.  Its also much easier to drive the car smoother now too.  It's one of those things that I don't really notice until I have it back.

So, how many of you guys drive with TC/C on/off?  I know some of us drive cars with much more horsepower than the Si, but in my little 200hp of fury driving without the T/C just feels right.

Soup DeVille

I installed a cut-out button in the Land Cruiser, but unless I'm in mud or deep snow, the TC stays on and rarely intervenes.

Very few of my other cars have had it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Mine is obnoxious brake-based and doesn't do anything unless one wheel is really spinning (rare except snow), so I don't worry about it.
Will

SJ_GTI

I almost never turn mine off, but since its AWD it is rarely activated anyway. Last time I turned it off was just so I could slide around in the snow.

93JC

2o6

r0tor

Pretty much never turn it off (unless there is the rare occasion I want to practice my dorifto supastar skills)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

On unless it starts getting in the way (ice, deep snow, Auto-x).  It defaults to on and I'm too lazy to shut it off every time I start the car to go to work or the grocery store or whatever.  In 99% of my driving, it never intervenes anyway.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2018, 10:26:16 AM
Really?

Quote from: Xer0 on May 01, 2018, 11:00:01 AM
What car do you drive?

Mine's an early build, mid-level 2010. It has several things later ones of the same trim don't (such as rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated side mirrors, and it's pre-wired for interior LED accent lights), but is missing several things that later cars had standard. Notably it does not have traction control, stability control nor the tire-pressure monitoring system.

shp4man

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2018, 10:46:02 AM
On unless it starts getting in the way (ice, deep snow, Auto-x).  It defaults to on and I'm too lazy to shut it off every time I start the car to go to work or the grocery store or whatever.  In 99% of my driving, it never intervenes anyway.

Same. Disabling it in the Fuckus means selecting a menu, then a sub-menu, then a sub-sub-menu, then selecting off. Then it defaults back to on when you start the car up again.
:hammerhead:

AutobahnSHO

Odyssey has a nice button for TCS next to the nice button for cruise.

Cruise pushes in and stays in. I leave it on and never mess with it and I noticed the light has burned out. :lol:
The TCS just pops back out when you push it, and turns back 'on' every time the car is started. This last winter I discovered it will not disengage while it's actively working... 
Will

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on May 01, 2018, 12:45:23 PM
Same. Disabling it in the Fuckus means selecting a menu, then a sub-menu, then a sub-sub-menu, then selecting off. Then it defaults back to on when you start the car up again.
:hammerhead:

Thankfully, both my cars have a button on the console.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2018, 12:53:40 PM
Thankfully, both my cars have a button on the console.

Oh to have a button.  :(

Xer0

Ditto, the Civic has a button on the left side that you just press and hold for 3 seconds than you're off.  I don't think it fully defeats the system though, but it more than makes a difference.  It defaults to on on startup.

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on May 01, 2018, 12:59:47 PM
Ditto, the Civic has a button on the left side that you just press and hold for 3 seconds than you're off.  I don't think it fully defeats the system though, but it more than makes a difference.  It defaults to on on startup.

On the Mustang, 1 tap disables TCS, 2 taps engages sport mode (raise thresholds for ESP), press and hold for 5 seconds disables everything.

The Jetta is just on or off (both TCS and ESP together).
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Traction control is terrible when you need traction, and nearly as annoying when you don't.  A4 had it, it was nearly habitual to turn it off when I started the car in the winter since it always defaulted to on. 

Taco doesn't have TC, so it can dorito any time with no button presses.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2018, 10:46:02 AM
Ditto......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

On all the time except in certain winter situations where I need wheel spin to cut through the snow

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2018, 01:54:45 PM
Traction control is terrible when you need traction, and nearly as annoying when you don't.  A4 had it, it was nearly habitual to turn it off when I started the car in the winter since it always defaulted to on. 

Taco doesn't have TC, so it can dorito any time with no button presses.

In a 2WD, Open diff vehicle, it can be somewhat useful on patchy surfaces where you may find one wheel on ice and the other on bare pavement.  On relatively uniform surfaces, anyone who actually knows how to drive can likely do better than a lot of systems.  But there are a lot of people who are poor drivers with no concept of throttle control or traction management for whom TCS keeps them from sliding into the ditch when their instincts tell them to simply apply more throttle to accelerate harder when their drive wheels start spinning on snow and ice.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Fair enough. I shouldn't assume that the majority of drivers are intelligent enough to know that. Even around here.

MexicoCityM3

On most of the time on the street. Frequently I use the "intermediate/relaxed" setting on the cars that have it. On the E46 I do turn it off occasionally on the street.

Fully off most of the time on the track, usually after the first session.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rich

I did it all the time in the Cooper S

1) It was super intrusive
2) The switch was fun to use
3) It was FWD, if there was tirespin the rear end wasn't going to come around

In the 86, I have to hold the button down (in the cooper I just flicked it), but I'll turn it off about 5% of the time on the street
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Lol I turned it off in Rich's Yota. Got a bit of bark just on one corner.
Will

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

My AWD cars/SUVs now and in the past: Very rarely turn off.  I don't need to as I usually don't get stuck in the snow/ice.  Only turn it off if in a driveway with one plus foot of snow and need to spin the wheels a bit to get going.  Infiniti QX56 has a selectable low range 4LO mode.  Maybe when I select that the traction control automatically disengages.  Not sure. 

My prior Sonata and current Camry: Turn it off when there's unplowed streets and I'm losing momentum because the tires won't spin.  Pretty rare this happens though with winter tires on. 

My prior VW Beetle.  No way to turn it off.  Super annoying.  If you were stuck in the snow, the manual said to keep the accelerator pressed and after something like 5 seconds, the traction control will release allowing your tires to spin. 

Soup DeVille

On all the Toyotas I know, 4Lo locks the center differential, which disables the stablity control, but not the traction control.

That VW shut off seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator